When noodling just is not enough...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalmatian90

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
<object width="450" height="370"><param name="movie" value="http://www.liveleak.com/e/d1f_1328658020"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.liveleak.com/e/d1f_1328658020" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" allowscriptaccess="always" width="450" height="370"></embed></object>

Enjoy!

I was thinking it was a splitting video when it started. Couldn't imagine who would go thru that much trouble of screwing a flange on ever round to make the splits even. But after seeing some of the wood marking tools to get them cut at the same length I guess some of you guys might be that anal about size of splits too.
Now at what point did everyone figure out what he was making?

Wasn't till he put the light right beside it to thin it down that I could figure what it was.

I guessed it would be a lamp shade right off. Only because I've seen it done and because it looked like a green round. I've not made a lampshade myself, but a wood turner told me they had to use green wood to get it that thin. I have no idea if that is true or not.

Mr. HE:cool:

I guessed it would be a lamp shade right off. Only because I've seen it done and because it looked like a green round. I've not made a lampshade myself, but a wood turner told me they had to use green wood to get it that thin. I have no idea if that is true or not.

How do they keep it from splitting when it drys???:confused:

Wow! Neat!

I didn't figure it out until the end. My wife guessed it about halfway through though!

Yes, I would worry about all of that work and then having it split on me.

I spent several hours watching clips last night. Sure wish I had a decent speed connection. Even the broadband only got me 640K. Too far out in the sticks.

Harry K

Harry, enjoy your blessings! I wish we had 640K. All I get is 100K at good times (Hughes Satellite) or a little better than that with cellular 3G.

Ken

Not until he cut it off the main piece. Then I knew what it was.
I have an old beech log that was partially hollow and I chiseled out the entire inside and am making a coffee table out of it. I have a glass top already and am waiting to shoot a pair of wood ducks to mount and place on the inside. The log has a natural open V in the side of it so I want to put the female inside on a nest and have the male standing guard over the entrance. Lots of grasses, cattails and what not will make it seem like a real little world inside of my table. I nailed only two woodies this year and both were male and not quite in full fall plumage so i din't get them mounted. Hopefully next year.

I used to run what is called a "peeler" lathe. Not only do you have to use green and knot free wood, it has to be wicked steam saturated before you start cutting on it. You basically get a long thin sheet of wood from the log, think of it like unrolling a TP roll. The long thin strip is then run through stamping machines to make cheap wooden stuff, matchsticks, popsickle sticks, tongue depressors, wooden forks, etc.

If you didn't mind a seam, you could get numerous thin lampshades from the same round that way, rather than turning it and having it mostly be waste.

I used to run what is called a "peeler" lathe. Not only do you have to use green and knot free wood, it has to be wicked steam saturated before you start cutting on it. You basically get a long thin sheet of wood from the log, think of it like unrolling a TP roll. The long thin strip is then run through stamping machines to make cheap wooden stuff, matchsticks, popsickle sticks, tongue depressors, wooden forks, etc.

If you didn't mind a seam, you could get numerous thin lampshades from the same round that way, rather than turning it and having it mostly be waste.

Hi, zogger, thanks for the info. I had no reason to doubt the wood turner, but just didn't know first hand and never have seen it done in person. Sounds basically like veneer or peelings for plywood. I guess the reason to waste so much wood is to have it come out seamless. I'm sure a fellow could get more for a lampshade than he could if he split it for firewood. lol

Hi, zogger, thanks for the info. I had no reason to doubt the wood turner, but just didn't know first hand and never have seen it done in person. Sounds basically like veneer or peelings for plywood. I guess the reason to waste so much wood is to have it come out seamless. I'm sure a fellow could get more for a lampshade than he could if he split it for firewood. lol

ya, like veneer or for plywood.

Tell you, keeping those style knives (the one I used was a narrow hollow oval) sharp is an art and skill.The factory where I worked had a dedicated full time sharpener guy, he was great. Everyone who worked there brought in their knives scissors axes you name it, he'd sharpen them when he wasn't busy with the tools we used. He had this real long bench with every dang styled wheel grinder polisher you name it, all set up, then a zillion files and all sorts of stuff. And he knew his steel pretty good.

Ha, thinking about it, that's the guy that got the edge that worked for me on my generic axe versus some gnarly dutch elm. I could get close, but he nailed the angle and sharpness without screwing up the metal. Not saying it made that elm easy, it's right up there in the suckiest wood in the universe to split, but it made it "possible".

<object width="450" height="370"><param name="movie" value="http://www.liveleak.com/e/d1f_1328658020"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.liveleak.com/e/d1f_1328658020" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" allowscriptaccess="always" width="450" height="370"></embed></object>

Enjoy!

Wow!!!!!

Hal

Absolutely beautiful craftsmanship, a great finished product, lots of good chips for the garden / mulch pile, and the best part... A usefull, needed item for anyones home that was made in the USA!! Excellent!!

Latest posts

Back