Where do you get your chains from?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need to put the 41" loop under my pillow tonight and see if a new one appears. I bought the roll of chain from madsens. I've bought a lot of loops from baileys also.

One of our local Stihl dealers sells Stihl chain at half price as a promotion during the state fair. I stock up then for the year. At that price, it's more than a good deal compared to the others. But I have run some WP and Carlton and they're ok too. Stihl just seems to have harder cutters to me.

I buy Woodland Pro chisel chain from Bailey's, It is made by Carlton.

I ran Stihl 33RSC for a while, and it is very good chain, but the chain from Baileys is a much better bargain, and I'm not sure that I can tell the difference.

I get RSC chain at the dealer. Recently my dealer has fallen ill and is not open. I've ordered some Oregon LGX from Treestuff.com, a sponsor here, and also from Edge and Engine

do you guys sharpen your own chains. ive seen the same talk from local guys about how stihl chain rocks, but these same guys cant sharpen a chain to save there lives. turns out they found i can do a pretty good grind and im busy bustin out chains.

ive also found a few people who cant grind but will just keep buying new chains so they end up with a #### ton of rocked and otherwise useless chains ive also been doing these

i also feel that lgx cuts better after the first sharpen. but either way out of the box or ground ill pic the lgx over the stihl and stihl is good but its not enough better i guess i dont cut big enough wood or enough wood to notice the difrence.

what kinda wood is the rsk stopin on the lgx in. are these outa the box or after sharpen just curious. curious cuzz mostly i dont belive it

do you guys sharpen your own chains. ive seen the same talk from local guys about how stihl chain rocks, but these same guys cant sharpen a chain to save there lives. turns out they found i can do a pretty good grind and im busy bustin out chains.

ive also found a few people who cant grind but will just keep buying new chains so they end up with a #### ton of rocked and otherwise useless chains ive also been doing these

i also feel that lgx cuts better after the first sharpen. but either way out of the box or ground ill pic the lgx over the stihl and stihl is good but its not enough better i guess i dont cut big enough wood or enough wood to notice the difrence.

what kinda wood is the rsk stopin on the lgx in. are these outa the box or after sharpen just curious. curious cuzz mostly i dont belive it

RSK is fater than LGX because of the straight raker design...next time you have the two chains in front of you take a look at the raker design...believe it or not it means alot in cutting speed in the raker style. Ok...first look at on cutter from each chain side by side from the side view...see how the RSK raker design is straight up?...no curves no bends?....now look at the LGX raker design...see how it is curved and rounded considerably more?...and wider on top?...now when in the wood the raker is constantly riding on the wood surface guiding the tooth into the next layer or "chip" to be cut. Now the RSK has a very narrow raker design...the LGX has a wide raker design....the more friction the slower the cutting speed....less friction the faster the cutting speed...self explanitory. Now take both cutters and look at them with the raker out in front...basically look down the business end of the cutter. Look at the rakers now....you see how the RSK raker has no real bend towards the sideplate of the cutter?......Do you see how the LGX has the raker bent out towards the sideplate of the cutter? Now imagine the cutters are halfway filed back...the RSK raker will not affect anything on the cutter sideplate because it isn't bent out in the way. But the LGX raker will because it is actually out further than the sideplate of the cutter...so how can the sideplate of the cutter do its job as efficently as the RSK cutter side plate can because it has nothing in its way? Actually a way to solve this is to take a flat file straight down the side of the raker to remove this problem. which is actually what i do once they are half filed back.....more un-nessesary work...but problem solved then. But RSK will hold its cutting edge longer than LGX as well. RSK is high priced but waaayy more efficient chain....for my logging application of course.:cheers:

BTW: I really do like oregon chain...if i didnt like it i wouldnt buy it occasionally....which i do. And when i run square filed chisel it is oregon chain usually....

Last edited:
Get my OREGON chains from Baileys 91vxl for my small saws. Really cuts fast.
Have been getting Stihl RSC from my dealer. $25.99 each. I'm gonna try the OREGON LGX you'all are talking about. And I intend to check ou LOWE's as miking stated. I didn't know they sold saw chain.

p.s. I checked Lowe's - online. They carry the OREGON low-kickback chains. I prefer those without that added feature.
Also the LGX is not made for the .325" pitch, so at best I can only get the LPX full chisel or the BPX semi-chisel.

Last edited:
Local Stihl Dealer

I buy RMC, RSC, RSF, and PMC. When I purchase I buy loops in quantity never order less than 12 chains at a time. Call ahead with an order and they're ready when I get there. The pricing I get is less or comparable to Baileys pricing for Woodland Pro and there is no shipping charges or waiting just a 20 minute drive.

I have looked into buying rolls and making my own, but with the pricing I get, I simply can't justify the time and equipment cost over buying loops at the Stihl dealer.

Take Care

ill see what i have hanging on the wall and grab my calipers after work and compare chains

I've never took calipers to any chains but I'll try to get a picture for you guys. The RSk is probably not as smooth as the LGX becasue of the raker. I've not really noticed a big difference in cut speed between any of the chain makers when sharpened. Out of the box the stihl is better. Oregon seems to have chain with high rakers that will make dust instead of chips a lot.

Back