Which Saw? (Can of Worms...)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewCutter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
O.K., I know I am opening a can of worms here, but looking for some info.

Here's the rundown,

I have been using my neighbor's (dad's) Poulan 16" saw to take care of downed timber and cut firewood for camping etc. on the family 'farm' (only about 65 acres total) for the last 7 years. I recently ran into a couple larger trees that have me wishing I had a saw with a whole lot more power, it is about a 20-22" dia. oak, and is very hard (fell within year.) I am looking for a saw to run a 20-24" bar, but will also be relatively comfortable when outfitted with a 16-18" bar for general light cutting & limbing. (Kind of a one size fits all powerhouse.) I do have a budget, and have found many new saws from $350-525 in my area. All considered are either Stihl or Husqvarna (#1 and #2 respectively by all accounts.) Models I have handled are, Husky 455 Rancher, 460 Rancher, 359, Stihl MS290, Stihl MS390. I have local dealers / repair centers for both.

How about some help here? I've been told I am looking at too big of saws for my application, but I'm tired of wishing for a bigger saw, so I'm ready to take the plunge.

Welcome to the sight. At looking at the list you have here. I would go with the 359 husky. The 359 is built on the same pro chasis as the 357 with the exception of the cylinder. They have a magnesium case and are easier to work on. Get one with a Zama carb. Some of the Walbros had issues.

can 'o worms indeed...

One saw: 357XP/359 or MS 361/362

Two saws: 346XP and 372XP or MS261(?) and MS441

Budget? :ices_rofl: That's a good one!

Surprised...

I'm actually surprised that there are so many Husky recommendations, sounds so far like the 359 would be the winner. The suggestions have been very helpful- keep them coming so I don't make a mistake. One thing that always bothered my about the Poulan is that it always leaks around the caps, and tool is needed to properly loosen/tighten them Any pros/cons with Husky or Stihl caps leaking during storage or tool free caps?

I'm actually surprised that there are so many Husky recommendations, sounds so far like the 359 would be the winner. The suggestions have been very helpful- keep them coming so I don't make a mistake. One thing that always bothered my about the Poulan is that it always leaks around the caps, and tool is needed to properly loosen/tighten them Any pros/cons with Husky or Stihl caps leaking during storage or tool free caps?

Naaaaaaaaaaaa none at all,hehe

Used Option...

I had considered used, but with the wide range of used equipment, the shear number of different models was scary to me, as was condition of the equipment (& parts availability.) A guy brought a Husky 61 he wanted to trade for other items I had (which was supposed to be a good saw) to my place, and it couldn't cut the hard oak any better than the Poulan. It might have been worn out or dull blade- not sure but it had me concerned so I said no go on the deal. He also had a LOT of trouble starting it (about 30 pulls, and pulled plug after flooding it about 2/3 through his demonstration. Any USED models I might want to keep an eye out for that may be an option?

Have you consider the dolmar saw i just but a 5105 and like it just as much or more than the husky i have and the stihls i have had. A 6400 dolmar may be just right for the size your looking for. Also they are priced good.

The 61 is a nice saw if the piston and cylinder are in good condition. Any used saw if possible pull the plug and look in the cylinder and check for scoring in the cylinder. Their are alot of used saws that would work good for you 365 husky 357 372 359

Just got a lead on an ECHO 6000 w/ a 5yr warranty about the same money as 359 Husky, I plan on looking at it today. Anyone have experience with this saw? Warranty is very appealing.

out of those your best bet would be the husqvarna 359, the 455 is more or less an occasional use or homeowners saw, its just not that well built. you'll be way happier with the 359. if you wanted to go a little out of your budget and spoil yourself i think i'd take a peek at the 372XPW :rock:

I have had a fewer of the older echo saw and they ran well and were good saws but parts were hard to find. Before you buy an echo research how others like them and make shure you have dealer support behind the warranty because even if it has a 5 year warranty dont mean you can find someone to service the saw because most of the places you find echos are home repair stores not actual small engine shops.

Have you looked on eflay their are 365 husky on their for 499 new saw no bar and chain. The 365 is the same saw as the 372 just smaller cc but the parts interchange. They hold up well and that aint a bad price for a 365 that is new used ones sell for 200 to 350. Alot of tree triming services run the 365 because they are cheaper than their big brother the 372. Also i have had a ms390 it was a good saw but sold it to my boss because i liked running the 2 365 i have they seemed to have a better torque band than the ms390 did. But he loves the ms390 its just a tad heavy. The 372 is the good power to weight ratio.

Last edited:
Dolmar 6400 /Makita 6401.

You can eventually buy the heavy duty air filter kit - it's the best filtration available on a saw today. An if you're feeling really saucy, you can buy the 7900 piston and cylinder which will make your 64cc saw an 80cc saw and the power will blow you out of the water!! :rock: :blob2:

How about an 880 with a 144 inch bar then you don't have to get far from the house!!!!! Sorry just funnin.Any 60cc saw will work great for your needs.Get a pro saw if you can and you will be watching your grand kids using it and a sharp chain is the heart and soul of any saw.

359 from the list you gave.....trolls right on with the 357xp,some more money but feels better in the hands,revs out real nice,nimble handling too.
the price difference will not matter if you take into account the years of enjoyment and use you get out of a "pro" grade saw.

If I were in your shoes, I would be looking hard at the MS361 or MS362. Your local dealers, and dealer support would be the difference in which brand I would buy. Makita/ Dolmar, and Husqvarna make very good saws, and it looks like you have some good recommendations from them already. I would buy from the shop that I felt most comfortable with.

Latest posts

Back