Which saw to get?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dario, watch those auctions. It wasn't on your list but the 359 is much better for blanking than the others. They generally sell for around $330-350 sometimes less on ebay.

RAHTREELIMBS said:
I run a Husky 359 and it is a fine saw. Every bit equal to the Stihl 361 at a lot less $$$.
Someone please tell me how much a lot less money is ! :cry:

We do not see these differences here ! :mad:

I should have added previously than I can purchase a STIHL MS 361 at any dealer for $749.95 Canadian that would roughly be $550.00 to $575.00 in yankee greenbacks. Along with the saw I will also get a Stihl Woodsman saw case, an additional chain in the box, a Stihl cap and saw oil. I can probably negotiate an extra googy or two to go along with the rest also.

Last edited:
saw

I keep looking at the 280 and wonder if this model might be a real alternative between a 260 and 361. Anyone uaing one? I would like a review on it.
Notice I said using. Specs are letters on a piece of paper. Hands on is what counts.

The [COLOR=Navy[COLOR=Blue]]MS361[/COLOR][/COLOR] is 4.6 hp and the 359 is only 3.9 hp it should sell for less, its has less hp than a 290 at 4.1 hp.

Husky's are just as expensive here or close to it and most of their dealers are as useful as a rash up your you know what.

Every time I see a 359 on the shelf the price is $460 US except one time last year just before Christmas when they went on sale for $400 at one farm/home store (with no real service department).&nbsp; Granted, $460 is cheaper than the $525 for the MS361.&nbsp; Even if the orange <i>and</i> white one doesn't weigh minutely less and cut at least minutely better (both surely true), the balance of better design items I listed earlier decidedly points toward the Stihl in my opinion.&nbsp; So far, reports seem to indicate the filter cleanliness over time is less of an advantage for the Elux in this case, too.

The main thing here is to come to a conclusion before buying and to be happy with it after.&nbsp; It's quite difficult to know what to like about saws until some time is spent with good ones.&nbsp; I'm still advocating the 353 as a good-sized and nice-priced saw from within the original list.&nbsp; Budgets are real sometimes.

Glen

Thanks!!!

glens said:
...Budgets are real sometimes.

AMEN :)

I am watching the 359's on eBay since they are still around my budget, I just hope they won't go up too much. The only reason 359 wasn't included in my list was due to cost...it is out of my range too.

I did learn a lot from this post...and if eBay doesn't fan out, I'll most likely buy the 353. We do have a Stihl dealership around here and I will visit them one of these days to check the prices...who knows with Christmas just around the corner they may have some specials (just my wishful thinking). :D

Thank you very much guys...this is very educational and FUN!!! Let's just say I've known some of you a bit better ;)

Dario :)

If a 359 goes for $460.00 U.S and a Stihl MS361.00 goes for $525.00 U.S the Stihl is well worth the difference of $65.00.

The 359 is as heavy as a MS361 but with 0.7 less HP, the 359 is not a bad saw but certainly not up to a MS361.

Nope, the 359 can be had all day for $385 shipped via online retailer and they throw in leather gloves, nascar hat and husky T-shirt. Cheaper on Ebay :)

Face it, Stihl and Husky both make good saws and bad saws, And a pound here or there is no big deal.

Personally I prefer Husky, and I have had pretty good luck with them. My compatriate swears by Stihl, and he has had good luck with them.

Pick what feels the best to you. Each manufacturer has some bum models, and those are the ones to stay away from. Reading the post here will help identify which ones to avoid, and which ones rock...

woodturning blanks

Think of what you are asking the saw to do. Cutting burls and the like for woodturning projects.You'll be pushing the saw to the limit using a 20" bar on those models. They will do it with a sharp chain but a 16"-18" bar is better suited to their power range. It'll be a workout for the saws and you. I'd tell you to hold off till you can increase the budget to $450-$500 and go for the Husky 365 or 372 so you have the power to easily pull the 20"-24" bar to get the bigger burls for the woodturning projects. You'll be cutting across the grain and through twisted grain wood and you don't want to be there all day waiting on the under powered saw to get through the cut. Sure it's more money but you don't want to walk away from that perfect piece of wood because your saws under powered for the job you're asking it to do. Just know that the budget you have set aside for the saw is a bit under the the money you need for the saw that will make the job a whole lot easier. I can hear Glens now, MS361 or MS440.

glans/rdp
In looking at the stihl website I see the ms361 listed under "Professional" models. Do either of you ladies see the letters "XP" behind the numbers 359? I really do not understand why you are confusing Dario with needless information comparing a pro saw to a consumer saw. Is it that you just have nothing better to do than type nonsense? The person comes here looking at three consumer saws. It was suggested that perhaps he can get more displacement in the 359 at the same or lower cost. Then for some reason your comparing apples to oranges....... 359 to ms361...Why? Why don't you take some time a list the specs on the 357xp and the ms361? Is it too much effort? Or maybe the 359 to the ms310? Isn't the ms310 a sister saw to the 029/ms290? Lets for fun take a look at the ms310 and compare it to the 359. If an honest comparison gives you trouble, perhaps I can list the features later.

Latest posts

Back