Which Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svon89

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
OK, I have been researching on here for quite some time about splitters, and the wife said "Go for it...". Now I have to try and make a decision about which one with a $2000 budget.

I am leaning toward a leftover timberwolf TW-P1 with a 4 way wedge, and stay right around budget. I thought about going with a cheaper Husky, but I have always tried to buy the best tools I could.

Any opinions about another brand I should check out? I looked at the troy-bilt and the cub cadet, but I really like the idea of a 4 way wedge.

Thanks
Stephen

OK, I have been researching on here for quite some time about splitters, and the wife said "Go for it...". Now I have to try and make a decision about which one with a $2000 budget.

I am leaning toward a leftover timberwolf TW-P1 with a 4 way wedge, and stay right around budget. I thought about going with a cheaper Husky, but I have always tried to buy the best tools I could.

Any opinions about another brand I should check out? I looked at the troy-bilt and the cub cadet, but I really like the idea of a 4 way wedge.

Thanks
Stephen

I was in the same boat as you a 2 years ago, I went for a (referbed) 27 ton Huskee from TSC for (I think)$900 they gave me full warranty. I share my splitter with my brother and cousin so the splitter gets ~20 cords put through it. The splitter is good (a tad slow) and is fine for our needs. The only weak point is the Honda GSC motor, but I scrounged a Honda GX for $130 for a replacement when the GSC dies. I considered buying a high end splitter used or new, but for our needs the "home owner" splitter suits us fine.

The Brave

Welcome aboard!
This big Brave just makes it inside your budget. Shipping included in price:
http://www.braveproducts.com/itemdetailpage.php?itemid=10016&offset=0&mode=category&categoryid=103&parentid=&searchtext=
I'm not sure you need a 4-way wedge. That's somewhat of a luxury and sometimes gets in the way.
22tonHoriz.jpg

Last edited:

I was in the same boat as you. I like buying the best tools because they last longer. I almost bought a used Timberwolf but it was sold out from under me. Everything I wanted. I looked at the troy uilt and cub cadet, but the tire is in the way when spitting horizontal. I ended up buying the 22 to Huskey fro TSC. It does everything I want. I almost bought the bigger one, but for 6 cords or less a year, i figured I did not need it. WIth the extra money you can get a nice saw.

You should check out speeco splitters. I think they are a sponsor here. I have a 27 ton with a 10 1\2 horse motor that is worth its weight in gold. My FIL and I both use it and we split about 40 to 45 ricks a year with it.

New to the forum myself, but I was in the same position as you are just 3 weeks ago. I ended up getting the 27ton Troy-Bilt model, and couldn't be happier. With your 2K budget, you will have quite a bit left over when you are done.

It all depends on how much you will be splitting.
I as well as a previous poster have a Huskee 22 ton. All I can say is that I have had it for 3 years now and have not had my first problem. I would recommend it.
It splits around 6 cords a year or so. One of the tires did leak a little, I guess you could call that a problem?

New to the forum myself, but I was in the same position as you are just 3 weeks ago. I ended up getting the 27ton Troy-Bilt model, and couldn't be happier. With your 2K budget, you will have quite a bit left over when you are done.

Welcome Adam...... I hope you like it here, lot's of good folks.

Welcome to the site!

If you have access to a Left Over TWP1 for around $2000 - - Buy IT!, you will not be sorry.

Al :cheers:

attachment.php

attachment.php

That's the one I have and zero complaints.

Ditto that. Been running mine since 2003. 10-15 cords/year. The B&S 8 HP still starts on the 1st or 2nd pull and I've never run across anything it won't split (course that can be said about any splitter).

Troy Bilt and Cub Cadet are ***MTD***. blech. run.

If you have access to a Left Over TWP1 for around $2000 - - Buy IT!, you will not be sorry.

Yup, not a bad price with a 4-way. The 4-way is a must, in my opinion. Without going into the whole wedge theory discussion, a wedge-on-beam splitter really wants a 4-way, or else you're going to be chasing partially-split pieces all day long. A horizontal wedge-on-ram can do without it, since the log doesn't run away from you as it gets split.

I like mine a lot, and not just because of the smokin' deal I got on it. It is a solid machine. The only trouble I've had has been one fitting that was weeping some oil (removed, re-taped, and good to go) and a little weeping around the in-tank filter housing when I first got the unit. It is my understanding that TW is aware of and has fixed the filter housing issue (different, thicker gasket, I believe).

I would recommend the TW-P1 without question. It is a very nice machine that is easy to move around the yard by hand, and is a pleasure to operate.

Timberwolf3.jpg

DSCF1778Medium.jpg

Buy it, don't look back.

TWP-1 is a great machine and the guy is giving you a decent price, especially with the 4-way. Best price I got new with 4-way was $2300 plus the Governor. I bought mine slightly used about 6 months ago and am extremely pleased.

You can make a lot of wood in a hurry with the 4-way, wouldn't be without one. T'wolf's specs are right on the money, they don't pad the numbers.

If you can swing it the out-feed grate is a wonderful accessory. Save a lot of time picking up the resplits.

Resale, should you ever decide to upgrade is excellent.

Take Care

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the replies. Swamp yankee you are not the guy that got the deal on the timberwolf on CL are you(maybe last november or so). If so good for you, you beat me to the deal...

I went to tractor supply figuring I would pick up the lesser unit and maybe get a new saw down the line. There were 3 out front for sale, but no 22 ton so I went into the storage corral. There were 5..... All marked defective.

I now own a TW-P1 with the 4 way wedge. I can not be happier with it. The machine is great. Even better the guy at the shop was a really great guy, so I am glad my money is staying local. He even had two more for the same deal when I left.

Now all I have to do is get a log lift sometime in the future, but at this point I do not need it. I will however be fabricating a table in the near future.

Thanks for the welcome as well.
Stephen

I have a 35 ton Huskee from TSC and i share it with my dad, father-in-law, and brother-in-law and i have been impressed with it, so far nothing can stop it, i have a lot of 30" chunks i have been splitting so i love the vertical option, it cost me 1750.00

Last edited:
4-Way Wedge?

Computeruser said, "The 4-way is a must, in my opinion."
------------
May I ask a simple question? How do you split a 32" diameter (or larger) log billet with a 4-way wedge? I have a few of those. Here is one of them:
GingkoLog1.jpg

Just curious.

I was out cruising around after I made a bank deposit today. I spotted a log splitter on the side of the road with a log lift. I wasn't really looking for one but did a u turn and headed back. It was an American 25hh with all the stickers in place in very nice shape with the 4 way slip on wedge and backer, log lift, tables, extended hitch, and 8HP Honda motor. I took it home after I gave him the $2000 he wanted. I tried talking him down $200, but he wouldn't budge as I figured he wouldn't. This area is where they Used to make them (Black River, NY), I didn't realize they moved the manufacturing to Rochester, NY. The gentleman selling it was part of manufacturing there, (also the one that told me he lost his job due to the relocation), and could tell me anything I wanted to know about it. I got it home and put the 4 way on to tackle some 22" Beech I had that was cut in January. It wouldn't go through and stopped it dead in its tracks. I wacked it back off with a sledge, took off the 4 way and it split fine with the single wedge. It sure did grunt, but it got it done as well as the fresh 20" elm I just cut last week. Is it asking too much for the Beech with the 4 way? I know the elm would be out of the question with the 4 way as it challenges it right to the end and honestly the beech did too with the single. Are all you guys splitting maple, ash and straighter grained woods and such with your 4 ways? I did get through a chunk of maple with no problem with the 4 way. I must say I probably will not have much use for the 4 way as I have a boiler and don't require them quartered usually, but I wanted to try it and see. I now will have a Split-Fire 3 point hitch for sale now as this by far out performs it, although it did me fine the year I have had it and the minimal 3-4 full cord I had split with it. Any advice?

+1! It takes a lot more pressure to split a log 4 ways than with a single wedge. Even a single wedge must sometimes be backed out and split only half-way across it's length. That helps it get through.

Believe me, tough elm crotch can stop a logsplitter using 4-way wedge dead in its tracks, even with a 5" cylinder piston and a 22 gpm pump connected to a BobCat. :chainsaw:

Last edited:
Back