Which Sthil Brush saw do I need?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukeduke

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Need some advice, I have a 100 acres woodlot where I live and want to get a good brush saw. I don't really need a clearing saw but would want to cut hardwood whips up to say 1 or 2 inch in diameter down my 1/2 mile driveway ditches and do some thinning of short firs and the like. and lots of blackberry bushes and weeds. probably won't put more than 20-30 hrs a year on it.

I am looking a Sthil FS 90, 130 or 250. Any recommendations on which one to get ? I don't want to be underpowered.

I really like my ms200t, the top handle is much easier to use than the rear handle, and its got plenty of power to cut 8-10" or less

110 is pretty common here for the general scope of what you are talking about. If you have a lot of 2" stuff, it may be slow going though.

I have no experience with a 250 but from what I've read it should do the job , get the bike handle and harness .
I know you weren't looking for a clearing saw but after putting a few hours behind an FS550 I'd consider them if I had to maintain 100 acres .
These are not one trick ponies because you can get trimmer heads for them (spins up a 4 string head just fine).
A few of the 450's to 550's have popped up on Kijiji and a few J'Red's and Husky's as well for reasonable prices .

Got the FS 130

I picked up the FS 130 and can upgrade within a week if I need more power. The 4 stroke engine sure sounds different but the power was enough for what I need. At first I thought I would tade up for a true clearing saw but the 130 would fall 4 inch fir trees pretty easy since the fir is quite soft so I think I'll keep it.

This is a great site, thanks for the advice

Carpet bombing? Lend the land to the Air Force for a practice range.

I keep waiting for SlowP to chime in but since she's retired she doesn't get up early anymore. :hmm3grin2orange:

I suggest a helicopter with those napalm filled ping pong balls. Except Napalm is now called Lumagell. Or is is it alumagell? Heck, who cares.

Just fry it. Then put it out.

I suggest a helicopter with those napalm filled ping pong balls. Except Napalm is now called Lumagell. Or is is it alumagell? Heck, who cares.

Just fry it. Then put it out.

good idea but one problem, neighbors only 1/2 mile away. they are complainers too.

Back