Who has a dodge powerwagon?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retoocs555

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I saw an old power wagon for sale on a backroad the other day with front and rear winches and a flatbody. It's an old one late 50's early 60's.

Anybody use one in the woods? it looks like it would be just about unstopable.

not quite unstopable, but close

I don't own one, but have seen them work. I really doubt that I would buy one unless it was in really good condition, as repairs would be "interesting".

The origional powerwagon has military heritage. The beasts can carry large loads over uneven ground without issue. The 251 flat head six is a time honered engine, but in a vehicle like these trucks it lacks a little.

The axles are bomb proof. The wheels are 6 on HUGE and a little scarce.

The ultimate would be a swap to a more modern engine, and decent brakes. Toss in power steering and you are hauling in style. This is assuming that you can fit in the rather small cab:hmm3grin2orange:

-Pat

When I was about 13 or 14 I drove a military Power Wagon probably a 60's vintage. It was unstoppable in mud at a golf course construction site where it was my friend's father's company vehicle. Most parts are available thru ebay and from http://www.vintagepowerwagons.com/ .
I really wanted to get one but I found that a good, running, restorable one goes for around $7,000, out of my price range.

The Beast

I still remember the powerwagon my dad had when i was growing up...... He called his the beast. from the stories i heard i was a baddd assss truck. just point and shoot he used to say. It would push down small trees and keep on crawling. It wasn't the fastest thing, 53mph tops, but it was a tough old SOB. I guess it would run as a "multifuel" vehicle also....possibly fermented potatoes or kerosene or something. I remember he told me the flathead 6 was in the 90 HP ballpark because he had to replace the engine at one time and was able to find a replacement at a military surplus junk yard. He sold it 20 years ago and has regrets every year since. Stihl Kid... Iv'e had similar thoughts...of the 5.9 diesel. just really hard to find the right truck. and would hate to see all that touque tear out the driveshafts and such.

There is a Power Wagon Fire Truck sitting at one of the local car/truck repair shops.

It has some body cancer, but it looks like it could be real nice post rehab.

I can post a pic if anyone is interested.

I have a new one, a 2005. I know what you are thinking, another do over by one of the big three. But it has everything the old one did and then some, with all the new technology. Can't tell you how many times it has pulled out my F600, and my friends trucks(including chip trucks). I love it. Does everything

1965 dodge, 200

it's not a powerwagon. but it's a dodge with power:biggrinbounce2:

it has 2 1/2 ton INT. axle's, two speed rear end 4 speed trans,
freightliner mufflers 5 inch openings, engine built 427 chevy abot
600 hp, home made intake two 650 holley's i won a few trophys
at truck shows with it,

I have an '06 Power Wagon. LOVE IT!! Check it out on 'how about some stuck pics' thread. Apart from playing in the mud I use her alot at work. Pulls 5 ton of log trailer like it's not even there. I don't want any other pick up truck....and being without that 12,000lb winch now? And for sh*ts and giggles you can play with the front swaybar disconnect for almost 3ft of axle articulation. I've driven all sorts of 4x4 vehicles and the Dodge is way up on my list.

I had a '79. It was bad to the bone. 488 gears with lockers of some sort. I sure couldn't steer it in 4Wlock. One thing about it 8mpg in top tuned condition. The frame rotted in half, so it was time to go.

Mike

There is a Power Wagon Fire Truck sitting at one of the local car/truck repair shops.

It has some body cancer, but it looks like it could be real nice post rehab.

I can post a pic if anyone is interested.

Of course we wanna see pics...Thanx/Rick

I saw an old power wagon for sale on a backroad the other day with front and rear winches and a flatbody. It's an old one late 50's early 60's.

They are unstoppable. We used to have one. Just sold it about 5 years ago. Went like the first week we put it out by the road.

Used to keep it up at our beach place because it did so well on the unpaved sugar sand roads, but so many drunks would show up in the middle of the night wanting to get towed out of where ever they were stuck that my dad ended up bringing it back home. Get a powerwagon with a wench on front and you can go/get out of anywhere.

Last edited:

A friend of mine has the military version (M37) with a front winch. It's used in the woods 2 or 3 days a week, all year long. They are pretty much a bulletproof old vehicle that don't take a lot of work to keep in running condition.

I wish I could find one in decent shape and reasonablly priced near me.

Ed

not quite Dodge, but WWII vehicles me and my uncle have/do use for logging
Minebeingtowed.jpg

Studebaker US6 towing Chev CMP (or Blitz in aus) C15A. Stude's a general workhorse. Takes huge loads ANYWHERE. C15A's a current rebuild project
F12.jpg

Ford CMP F60S, can lift a fair old trunk, loaded this:
WillyInter.jpg

ironbark (one DENSE eucy) onto this Inter AB160. Doesn't notice 5t but no brakes. Or maybe the GMC CCKW353 loaded it, bit hazy. That GMC's having a long rest now though. Eats too many spark plugs and oil ;)

My 67 Power Wagon

67 W200 Power Wagon. 383 big block, 4 speed, 4:10 gears.
It's all original with 88K miles. I gave 2+ cords of seasoned split almond, 300$ and I trimmed an ash tree he had looming over his house. This is the same friend I got my SP105 from. I love this truck. I recently had the hood fly up on me while doing about 25mph. The hinges are bent and so was I.

Here's a few of my fathers Powerwagons. All are 1954's

#1 This is the running one that we use. EX M-152 radio recon truck. It used to be a full wagon like pic #2 until my father shortened it to make and extra-cab and installed a homemade dump body.
DSCF0117.jpg

#2 This is a parts truck. M-152 radio recon truck.
DSCF0123.jpg

#3 A factory M-37 pickup with pto winch on the front that is a future project that may or may not happen someday.

DSCF0119.jpg

Last edited:
Heck yea i got one. its a beast alright. 1979 powerwagon 200, used to have a 360 in it but it died when dad and my grandfather were haulin show cows home from a show in Mass. now it has a 318-really sucks the gas LOL. it might get 8mpg. 4 wheel drive, high and low. the flat bed its got on it has been on 7 differnt trucks before this one. right now i have to replace the rear leafspring on the driver side and re-vamp the bed mounts, then get a glass company to replace windshield, then get lights working......then get it inspected and registered for the road...

sideview-1.jpg

frontend.jpg

minktruckand1086016.jpg

Back