Who likes big old Homelite muscle??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a 1/4" round file on my 1/2" pitch chains. You can get a nice aluminum file guide from NPA, not sure if others still have them available.

I haven't had to sharpen the 9/16" pitch chain on the 3-25, or either loop of 7/16" that Grandpatractor gave me at the GTG two weeks ago so I am not sure what works best on them. I would expect that 1/4" can't be too far off for the 9/16" pitch chain, either 7/32" or 1/4" should work for the 7/16" pitch chain as well.

Mark

Thanks Mark. I'll see if the wife can bring a file home with her tonight. Still hve your "project" here. Hope you got the e-mail. We'll chat later.

Drew

attachment.php

attachment.php

:):)

Edit:
Sorry, the first pic is of the half cleaned 5-30. Will try to post more good outdoors pics if I get off work before dark tomorrow.

That belt drive looks like an old Harley with open primary! Cool, but I bet it weighs more than I do....:clap:

Nice find! Be prepared to be "Hooked" on big bore Homies....IF you can find chains...they are even fun to run..once in a while.

I have a role of the 9/16 chain NEW But with surface rust..but NO links. I WISH I could find a few loops of 1/2 inch for my gear drive homies.

Last edited:
Here are 2 of mine, both 26's. The cut-away came from my high school shop teacher, they used it as a teaching aid. It originally came from the homelite dealer in our town.
Scott

quick question, anyone know the file size for 1/2" chain? Need to touch up the chain before I drop it in the wood for the video. Want it to be good and sharp.

Drew

Btw: might as well get the sizes for 7/16 and 9/16 too. Thanks.
I'll post some good pics tonight.

chain.................file size......................avg. depth gauge setting

7/16...................1/4".............................030"

1/2"....................1/4".............................030-.040"

9/16...................9/32"............................040"

5/8.....................9/32"............................040"

3/4.....................5/16"............................050-.060"

Here are 2 of mine, both 26's. The cut-away came from my high school shop teacher, they used it as a teaching aid. It originally came from the homelite dealer in our town.
Scott

That cutaway saw is really a find! Is it the same one on the Acres site?
Looks like you have some great old iron sitting there.

chain.................file size......................avg. depth gauge setting

7/16...................1/4".............................030"

1/2"....................1/4".............................030-.040"

9/16...................9/32"............................040"

5/8.....................9/32"............................040"

3/4.....................5/16"............................050-.060"

+1 :cheers:

Thanks for posting that chart.

Here's some pics with most of the dust off. Still got to get a little dirt buildup around the carb, and give the rear handle a polish.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Chain is just too dull for a video. Working on correcting that. When I get to town, will have to have some proper braided fuel line made up. The one on there is just temporary. The air filter even has what looks to be the original brush to clean out the inside.
I have to admit, the saw sounds as good as it looks. Even with that dull chain, there is no slowing it down.....no matter how hard you lean on it

Shout to Gary........ YES, old muscle is very addictive :cheers:

Old iron

Cool, good score!~

I'm from Southern Alberta as well, you probably helped some old farmer out and in turn, he helped YOU! CAD requires CAD (cdn dollars!) but it's nice to start a project (or 4) out on the cheap! You can spend the big bucks on all the parts, materials and labor, but from the looks of things, that outlay will be minimum as well!
Congrats, you lucky bastard! (and I mean that in the nicest possible way!)

P.S. If you don't mind, pls tell us around what you paid for them... if not, I'll feel better if you dont! :chainsawguy:

Latest posts

Back