Who Locks Their Saws Up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If a crime ring chooses my house to rob, locks and dogs don't do much. Only a stranger to this area would not know that I would hunt them down. If they stole my chainsaws, they would get to explain that to a judge while he watched the video. If they poisoned either of my dogs, they would hope they got to see a judge.

When at home I carry a 1911. My wife carries a SIG. When we go out we take more precautions. It's not an inconvenience, it's a lifestyle.

My couple of Poulans are in a locked garage and my newer saws are hidden behind benches in the basement. House is locked now all the time.
I had a 100 lb. Lab with a loud bark. We thought he was a watch dog. Well, that's exactly what he did when our house was robbed 2 years ago......He WATCHED them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would put up a electric fence around the saws and put a big sign that says high voltage.

I don't plan on going to prison for killing anyone. In Alabama, I may only use deadly force when I feel my life is threatened, or someone else's life is threatened. It's very clear. In my home, I have the right to "stand my ground". Now, you come running at me with a chainsaw in your hand in my garage, I would probably be in fear of my life. If you made it past me and were running away, I'd allow the Sheriff to pick you up. If you had already harmed one of my dogs, you would be begging me to kill you. And I would probably get into trouble for it. Oh well, wouldn't be the first time. I'd tell the Officer you fell down the stairs from the garage.

PS: I don't have stairs anywhere near my garage.

Pulling a trigger is easy, living with watching someone die stays with you forever.
The legal side of it will cost money and emotional stress right or wrong.

Protecting yourself and family is instinctive in that situation you do and not think. Under stress you will not be able to think. Even the sound of gunfire is not perceived as loud.

In my world of junk a thief will have plenty of potental weapons around. I hope he doesn't pick up something for their and my sake.

I sharpen my saws after each use, it will be a deadly weapon. In the box with the files, Granberg, etc there is a box of bandaids.

Sometimes on the weekends I'll leave my garage door open while going in and out through out the day and every time I go in I glance over at my saws and think, wow it will take less than a minute to grab one or a couple and even when I'm not around during the day someone can break in and grab them. Although there isn't much crime where I live the low lives still come around and we have the occasional break in, usually quick hit and runs so I locked them up, most thieves are lazy opportunist and would not work if they had to.

I do pretty much the same thing. If i am in the local area working i leave everything open so i can come and grab something as needed easily. Not much crime here either and we have 5 large dogs, but a thief is a thief.

To my mind if it looks well secure (cables and locks etc...) and hard to steal it will deter most opportunistic thieves, but then there are those that would chew through a brick wall to steal and sell something for $25. If they want to steal it they will.

Possibly but i doubt it

I wish i could agree more. Most of the tree crews around here we get on with fine. There are something like 12 major companies in our area. Unfortunately there are one or two that will talk bad about us and others to customers, and generally try to make everyone except them look bad. I would not put it past them to do something like this because they have done it in the past. Another tree company was "anonymously" reported to workcover for not displaying correct safety and warning signage on a big job they were doing. They ended up getting a quite substantial fine. Thing is, because we know them well, that the signs and cones and barrier tape were all there out front when they set up in the morning. o_O

Back