Who ports saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At any given load if it's not turning faster it isn't cutting faster.

If it needs to pull some particular bar & chain in some particular piece of wood, doing it at a higher rpm is the only way to cut faster.

That would be true if a saw chain was a static deal. the opposite is true though. You put a ported 660 with one of Brad's chains on it against a stock 660 with a chain that some old faller has been tweaking for years and the stock machine will move more wood. guys have chains dialed in so precisely that they have different grinds for different conifers.

That would be true if a saw chain was a static deal. the opposite is true though. You put a ported 660 with one of Brad's chains on it against a stock 660 with a chain that some old faller has been tweaking for years and the stock machine will move more wood. guys have chains dialed in so precisely that they have different grinds for different conifers.
If you change two things at once you can't tell much about what made the difference. The only question is if the saw makes more power at the rpm you care about.

Some people feel clever and superior to us simpletons by saying "torque, not HP, you fool! Or "hp gets the chicks, torque gets the checkered flag"

Torque without RPMs equals slow. Give me an 8' 2x4 and my ass can make more torque than any power-joked F350 on the road. But guess how many sled-pulls my ass has won.

Not piss-rev rpm, which can mean no torque. But rpms in the cut is the end-all-be-all. And yes, it's takes torque to keep your rpms up in the cut.

And wtf jmssaws...13k in the cut with a 346??? Daaaamn......

Some people feel clever and superior to us simpletons by saying "torque, not HP, you fool! Or "hp gets the chicks, torque gets the checkered flag"

Torque without RPMs equals slow. Give me an 8' 2x4 and my ass can make more torque than any power-joked F350 on the road. But guess how many sled-pulls my ass has won.

Not piss-rev rpm, which can mean no torque. But rpms in the cut is the end-all-be-all. And yes, it's takes torque to keep your rpms up in the cut.

And wtf jmssaws...13k in the cut with a 346??? Daaaamn......

I don't know what my 660 tachs out at, Its fat enough to be plenty safe though. From wide open no load to a buried bar, the saw dosn't lose much rpm at all. I've run "ported" saws that where outright turds, and they came from this crowd. Sure, a "ported" 394 that has nothing other than a ported muffler is very impressive to someone who dosn't really know what it should run like. Someone who does will immediately recognize some funny business.

That's why I had a saw built for torque. It doesn't need to be peaky and high strung in order to hold rpm. I know what works for me, and cookie saws don't fill the prescription.
Torque at an rpm is the definition of horsepower, so you are attempting to make a distinction between two things that are the same. It's not that complicated - you want a ported saw to make more power at a lower rpm, which is fine if that's what you need. There have been dyno plots of ported saws here that show more power all across the rpm band and extending to higher rpms than the stock saw, so it is not necessarily an either/or choice.

5881861191_90de8b5bc9.jpg

Torque at an rpm is the definition of horsepower, so you are attempting to make a distinction between two things that are the same. It's not that complicated - you want a ported saw to make more power at a lower rpm, which is fine if that's what you need. There have been dyno plots of ported saws here that show more power all across the rpm band and extending to higher rpms than the stock saw, so it is not necessarily an either/or choice.

It is simple. The saw runs stronger from idle to a few hundred rpm higher than a stocker I'd guess.

Say, I wonder how much old growth Brad's, Randy's, Terry's, etc.. saws are cutting right now?

It is simple. The saw runs stronger from idle to a few hundred rpm higher than a stocker I'd guess.

Say, I wonder how much old growth Brad's, Randy's, Terry's, etc.. saws are cutting right now?

If your saw is turning a few hundred rpms higher in the cut with the same chain as before, then congrats, you boosted the horsepower.

Back