Who still builds modded woods saws???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cliff-1972

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
How y'all doing.Been along time sense I posted last.I am in the need for another modded woods saw.Who out there still mods them.Also,who has one they might want to sell.The last one I had and still have is done by KD.Does he still do them?I want one,maybe two,in the 50cc to 90cc range.Any and all help will be greatly appriecated.

Washington Pro Saws formerly Washington Hot Saws still does them just do a search and you will come up with everything you need to know.

Try Gypo Logger he does a fine job on modd saws and he might have one to sell.But you better hurry i think he might be flying the coop real soon.

Does anyone do just the cylinder. I want to get my 372 ported and this would save some shipping cost or does the powerhead need to go too?

I port saws, or at least a limited amount of them,
pm me if interested.

the two mentioned are ok but if I was spending money, they would not be my choice.

huskydave said:
does the powerhead need to go too?

The whole thing needs to go. You have to have at least the crankcase and cylinder so the builder can set the squish. Most builders want the whole thing so they can run it and fine tune it.

The whole thing needs to go. You have to have at least the crankcase and cylinder so the builder can set the squish. Most builders want the whole thing so they can run it and fine tune it.

Some saws are more available to this than others. I think if you pull the base gasket on most huskys the squish will be around .018-.020 and they are fairly consistant.

Someone could probably port that for you and and get most of what is available but as you progress toward a more finely tuned saw like a race saw you would want to have the builder tweak it in. Also I port match the intake and exhaust track and also bore out the carb. So you would need to send those parts as well or accept a decrease in performance.

Measuring the port open can be calculated.

Like buck said, the port durations can be calculated, as long as the original squish is known.

Though if your trying do get the most out of the porting, the lower end is realy needed, to match the transfers up to the base, the intake flange to the tube, exhaust to muffler...

But the biggest worry I would have in shipping someone just a jug is the carb setting, with some port work carb settings can realy be affected, just slapping a ported jug on carb set up for a stock saw and unless mixture is reset, the saw could be toast in seconds.

buck futter said:
Some saws are more available to this than others. I think if you pull the base gasket on most huskys the squish will be around .018-.020 and they are fairly consistant.

Not always. I have two 372s on the bench right now, stock squish on one is .031" and the other .042".

timberwolf said:
But the biggest worry I would have in shipping someone just a jug is the carb setting, with some port work carb settings can realy be affected

Exactly, and you don't know if the guy has rebuilt the carb, has the smarts or patience to rebuild the carb, or has the smarts and patience to install the cylinder/intake boot/fuel system correctly. It's one thing to just do the jug if you're doing a favor for a friend that you know has some mechanical ability, but it's foolish to do it for a stranger.

I asked this question some time ago who out there still does them?Does anyone know if Ken Dunn still does them?ouldn't find any info on the web about Washington Pro Saws.

I've been kinda toyin w/ the idea of havin a professional mod my 372xp-muffler, ported and then retuned. any of you guys know how much or how to ship the powerhead westward (havent heard of anybody in the east doin mods)? do the gas and oil tanks just have to be emptied and the gas tank left open for awhile so the can vapors exscape?

thanks for any advice

I've been kinda toyin w/ the idea of havin a professional mod my 372xp-muffler, ported and then retuned. any of you guys know how much or how to ship the powerhead westward (havent heard of anybody in the east doin mods)? do the gas and oil tanks just have to be emptied and the gas tank left open for awhile so the can vapors exscape?

thanks for any advice

To ship,just empty both and blow out gas tank with a compressor and let set with the gas cap open 3 days before you ship.Should be good to go then.:)

Back