Who still has their 1st saw?...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't have my 1st saw, a Mac Eager Beaver. Built the same as a mini mac, and had a manual oiler only. There were times when I thought my thumb was gonna fall off from pumping that oiler in dead hedge. Do still have my second saw, a Homelite 330 that I got about 2 years after the mac, about 1984.[/QUOT

Tell me about that pump oiler. I just got one of my Homelite 1050's running and the button on the oiler is missing, just the shaft sticking out. I used it for years like that but now it is most uncomfortable. Dad had lots of saw from the time I was little and when he went into business for himself. One of those 1050's is the first new saw he bought as Olney Tree Service, Joe.

Poulan 4200

I still have this saw.
I thought it was 1st until I remembered an old white even heavier (52?)
Poulan I bought used. I loaned it to a friend who let it get away in
middle of a divorce, but he gave me a 361 (Poulan) I still have.

I have my first saw. A grey Craftsman / Poulan 2800. I bought it around 1987 or so at an old Sears scratch and dent store. It was a return deal. It didn't have a bar so the salesman threw in an Oregon off the shelf.

I found this site when I was looking for an air filter for it. I rebuilt carb and replaced fuellines about 3 years ago. Just used it the other day. It still has an 18 inch bar on it, and I bury it regularly. I run it when the mix is getting a little old. That thing has cut miles of trees and it still has 140LBS compression. I smoked my buddy's new MS 250 with it this past fall. I'll be putting a green recoil from a Poulan on it soon though.

I have my first saw. A grey Craftsman / Poulan 2800. I bought it around 1987 or so at an old Sears scratch and dent store. It was a return deal. It didn't have a bar so the salesman threw in an Oregon off the shelf.

I found this site when I was looking for an air filter for it. I rebuilt carb and replaced fuellines about 3 years ago. Just used it the other day. It still has an 18 inch bar on it, and I bury it regularly. I run it when the mix is getting a little old. That thing has cut miles of trees and it still has 140LBS compression. I smoked my buddy's new MS 250 with it this past fall. I'll be putting a green recoil from a Poulan on it soon though.

Sounds like that saw doesn't owe you anything. that saw was built when sears still sold saws that with proper maintence would last 25+ years.

eager beaver

my dad bought the saw in 71 or 72, he gave it to me in 1980 i still have it.i was still using it up till last month, for small stuff.this is a good running saw.k

I still have the 1970 vintage Jonsereds Raket 621 that my FIL thaught me on in the 1990s, and later donated to me, when he got too old and weak to use it. :)

I just love that saw, beat up and mended with ducttape (top cover), as it is!

Last edited:
Funny you say that Joe25DA, because I had a Craftsman Eager 1 mower that was the same grey color so I assume it was around the same vintage that is still going strong to this day. Unfortunately I sold it to a neighbor about 8 years ago. I saw him after Thanksgiving mulching leaves with it. The crappy and expensive Bolens MTD crap mower that I replaced it with is long gone.

Both that saw and that mower made me allot of money through the years. Me and a buddy cut over 300 locust posts with that saw off his property that we sold for $4 each.

That Sears scratch and dent store had a guy who worked there who could fix stuff on site. He worked there for years. Pittsburgh had a regional Sears warehouse that did allot of parts distribution and waraunty claims. If I was more into saws at the time, I'm sure there were many bargains that went through there. I remember when I bought that saw, there was a 3.7 that was the same grey color in the bin next to it. It was a nice place to get deals on appliances and OPE.

Funny you say that Joe25DA, because I had a Craftsman Eager 1 mower that was the same grey color so I assume it was around the same vintage that is still going strong to this day. Unfortunately I sold it to a neighbor about 8 years ago. I saw him after Thanksgiving mulching leaves with it. The crappy and expensive Bolens MTD crap mower that I replaced it with is long gone.

Both that saw and that mower made me allot of money through the years. Me and a buddy cut over 300 locust posts with that saw off his property that we sold for $4 each.

That Sears scratch and dent store had a guy who worked there who could fix stuff on site. He worked there for years. Pittsburgh had a regional Sears warehouse that did allot of parts distribution and waraunty claims. If I was more into saws at the time, I'm sure there were many bargains that went through there. I remember when I bought that saw, there was a 3.7 that was the same grey color in the bin next to it. It was a nice place to get deals on appliances and OPE.

Thats funny about the eager1 Mower, that was my dads first new mower, id say he bought it around '83, ran it for 7 years with 0 problems, then gave it to my uncle who ran it at his beach house for 15 years, no problems, then gave it to my cousin, dont know where it went after that, but I wish I had it. You couldnt kill them. Keep an eye out on the forum, and the Poulan thread. I have some really cool Craftsman saw ads from the 1982 catalog, just gotta scan them.

see my sig

372xp 2009 yeah its my first saw. first saw used was remington electric then a sthl farmboss 290

Wildthing I think I love you

Yup still got my Wildthing, still runs, but it will make you sweat trying to start it LOL!

Mine's not really old...a Stihl 021...about 12 yrs old, but it gets used a lot and only just a couple weeks ago did the chainbrake finally pack it in...dealer has a replacement on order...Christmas is gone so maybe it will be here now!

I do have a homelite Super2 on the shelf, but we used to use it for stonecutting...it don't work too good anymore:dizzy:

Homelite XL12 Bought in1968/9 I Think ?. Had several bars, chains, sprockets, spark plugs, converted to electronic ignition module, [nova2] in 2008 as points beame difficult to obtain. Still runs good & cuts well , although some what slower than modern saws +it gives the old arms&hands a bit of a pounding [No A.V.] I don`t think the plastc perils will last as long.

Yep still have a Partner that my father bought for me back in 1971. Never use it but still runs fine.

first saw

I still have the first saw that I bought new with my own hard-earned money.It's an 041 AV from about 1977. It still starts right up and cuts with authority. I'd love to find an 041AV Super to keep it company.

First saw

Yes I still have her, A homelite ez.Still runs great.Bought it when I was 12. In 1972 :chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back