Who still has their 1st saw?...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine was a Craftsman 2.1 (poulan micro). I was my Grandfathers. It was like new when I got it about 13 years ago. I destroyed it, but if I had it now it would have been an easy fix.

Old Sparkless is still around. I got him in 1985 and couldn't figure out why he was so hard to start, and should have shopped around for a saw with a compression release button. Old Sparkless likes to make my wrist sore when starting. Or trying to start. He won't start unless kept in a warm environment. He also needs a carb cleaning, I think. Maybe some day I will do that.

Old Sparkless came from Woods Logging in Morton when they were where the NAPA store is now. Woods Logging, like many logging dependent people and businesses, pulled out of Morton.

o31 av got it in 77 or 78. Yes i still have it and yes it runs. i had hart surgey in 07 and hurt my self trying to crank it . Got a brand new 260 pro,starts with two fingers,2x 036 pro , 2 x460 pro , and a nasty ugley 88 . I forgot 051 , and 220 elect , 44 in a box

Last edited:
My first saw was a Mac Cat 38cc. I bought it new about 15 years ago. Its been used and abused, and still runs like a champ. When I bought it, it had an 18" bar (too big). I cut a lot of huge oak with that little saw. Yes, it took a long time to do it. Now it has a 12" bar, muffler mod, and I use it for the small stuff. I thought it locked up on me this past fall, it was sitting on the ground idleing when it stopped. I pulled the rope and it wouldn't move. I tore it down to find a case bolt worked its way loose behind the flywheel and had it stuck. Thats the ony thing I had to do to it in 15 years. :cheers:

Mine was a 40cc mid 70s Craftsman. Just sold it last summer at a garage sale for $40. Still ran great. Was going to keep it just for old times sake, but I'm not a sentimental bastard.

My first saw was a Homelite Super XL 12 AO with a 16" bar, that I bought new in the mid 70's. It now has a 20" B&C and some custom dogs that I built.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I still have the Stihl 028 Wood Boss that I bought in 1983. Used it this summer and she still runs fine. Never had the cylinder off. Replaced some motor mounts and fuel lines over the years.

Bought my Husqvarna 480CD in 1980, had been using my dad's Mac 610 up to that point, and had an Echo 500EVL briefly. I was selling firewood and cutting for three farm houses at that time, so moved up to a bigger saw. The 480CD has been in service every year, and runs as good today as the day it was purchased. The only part I've bougth for it to date, other than chains, bar and sprockets was an ON/OFF switch couple of weeks ago.

It still amazes me that it continues to run without any problems anyplace, and still has the original fuel line and carb gaskets.......Cliff

I still got mine. It's a Homelite EZ auto got it in 1974 I think when I was still in school. I cut pulpwood and firewood for teachers to pay for it. It will run but not to good. Can't bring myself to get rid of it though.

I still own every one of my own personal saws, starting with the first saw I operated and the first I owned. First to operate was a Pioneer RA, first to own was a Pioneer 600 given to me by my dad and the first saw I bought new was a Pioneer 1450. They all run very well and can be used at anytime.
Pioneerguy600

mine was a wen lumberjack (electric), i cut a lot of fire wood with it,, went thru to motors,, wen sold out a while ago, so parts are hard to get, so i put it away, still working... and found this site!!!!!!!!!!

Still have parts of my old echo 650, it was stolen once, bought back at a garage sale and ran good till the ignition went, started swiping parts.. Still have some good ones if anyone needs anything shoot me a PM, you pay shipping, parts are always free to a fellow AS member!

Cool thread here.

I have both the first saw I ever used and my first chainsaw I ever bought. My dads 012 was a faithfully cord cutter for me and let me start learning the ins and outs of cutting and saw maintenance. After selling quite a bit of wood, I went for an upgrade and bought my first saw, an ms270. My first used saw came a few months later, an 031, which also started my CAD!

Back