Who would fell a tree with this cut?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you use this cut to fell a tree

• Yes

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • No

Votes: 25 64.1%
  • When no one is looking

Votes: 9 23.1%

• Total voters

NDtreehugger

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
attachment.php

Looks like a cut gone bad, I don't have a clue. I would do it though, lol.

You can get some weird looking stuff trying to cut yourself out of a bind or having the tree come back and then deciding to take it that way. I just can't put that piece of art work together, interesting.

Demented or misunderstood cutter, not sure which. Bet they had fun before they started sweating it and left.

Was the tree on the ground when you got to it or did you have to lay it down too ?

Looks like they were trying to turn a tree against the lean or at least 90 degrees to it. Not sure if that second step is a bore cut to relieve the pressure of the heart wood.

I'm no expert faller and don't pretend to be. I'm just happy when one of my trees goes within a few feet of where I'm aiming. But I don't think I've ever made a stump that looks like that.

Looks like maybe the tree came back and pinched his saw on the back cut, so he grabbed another saw and cut through the notch to fell the tree and free his saw :greenchainsaw: TAA DAA

That actually might be a very skilled felling cut designed to swing the tree a certain direction during the fall. (There is a felling cut called a "step dutchman".)

I would be interested to see the top part of the cut...

Edit: Actually that might be a double step dutchman (a term I just created looking at this picture). The tree would fall, hit the "step" on the right and go to the left (looking at the picture), then hit the high left part of the face cut on the left and swing back toward the right (looking a the picture). So the tree would swing around an obstacle when falling...

Last edited:
if I did,I'd cut it smooth so no one else could see it

+1 That's precisely what I was thinking. I wouldn't leave the evidence laying around for someone to post on AS!

It does look like it was done with a purpose so It's entirely possible that I'm just too ignorant to know at what I'm looking.

Last edited:
Looks like a cut gone bad, I don't have a clue. I would do it though, lol.

You can get some weird looking stuff trying to cut yourself out of a bind or having the tree come back and then deciding to take it that way. I just can't put that piece of art work together, interesting.

Maybe a bad bore cut to start then the regular backcut cause it was time for lunch?

Latest posts

Back