Who's burning again?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cantoo

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Finally got rid of the bunch of crap wood I had so I let the fire go out on the OWB last weekend. Flipped on the electric water heater breaker on sunday. Only using it for hot water in my house so the temp was still at 125 or so today. When I got home from work my wife said that the water sure isn't as hot using the electric, I told her it shouldn't make any difference because the anti scald should keep the temp the same. She did 3 loads of laundry then went to have a shower. That's when I learned some new Dutch swear words. Apparently the electric heater isn't working and the water was cool. So after a short discussion on who's job it was I split up some kindling, threw in some paper and turned the blower back on. Back up to 150 real quick and the water to water exchanger will be nice and warm by the time I take a shower later tonight. Not sure what's going on with the heater it's only 3 or 4 years old. I tested it and have power to it, unfortunately the water exchanger covers the element cover so it'll be a weekend job to see what's up. Guess I'll have to bring some more junk wood up to the stove. I have a bunch of crappy skids to burn anyway. I might just keep burning all summer just to see what it costs or saves.

An unhappy wife can destroy your life. fired the stove up twice this week due to temps being in mid 50'sF during the evening, take the chill off and chase some dampness out.

Got the A/C on up here....its been in the middle 80's which alone isn't too bad but throw in humidity and the house gets "sticky"

I fired up the stove for a quick burn last night just to get the damp chill outta my poor old bones. Second time this month.

Same here built a fire last night to take the chill out, 2nd time this week. It was 43°f outside this morning at 6 am.

cold rainy and windy. 66* in the house and damp, may have to light one tonight.

Ayuh, had a fire every day but one this week. Startin' to get kinda worried about the 4th of July, it's our traditional day to wear shorts and flip flops.

It rained all day and I just threw a load of pine scraps in the stove to take the dampness out of the air. I don't want to wish summer away but part of me cant friggin wait for woodstove season again.

We have been gone for two weeks so I shut the Garn off when we left town and turned the propane on for hot water for the house sitter. Started the Garn back up today and shut the propane back off as we got a butt load of clothes to wash after two weeks gone. The Garn will be on the rest of the summer. I have a timber full of wood no oil wells.

I don't want to wish summer away but part of me cant friggin wait for woodstove season again.

I can wait... believe me, I can friggin' wait.
But honestly, I ain't cleaned out the furnace firebox yet... the way this weather has been I'm still not 100% positive I won't be needin' another fire.
And yeah, I'm startin' to worry about Independence Day also... that's the only day I get to go into town and ogle so many skimpily-dressed young woman all at once‼ Even the wife can't say anything... cause they're everywhere... lookin' away just puts your eye on another‼ Heck, they're even serving ya' the beer‼

I have been turning my boiler on and off. Experimenting with ways to burn my wood better. Get a better gasification. Plus I like not using propane for hot water. Replaced a leaking door seal. Way better burn now. Plus a very deep cleaning of the boiler. Easier to try new things when I don't need the heat. Added heat brick above the secondary air charge tube to separate the primary and secondary burn zones even more.

Even though I keep letting my owb go out, re-starting it is easy because there is usually a fair amount of charcoal left. A few paper scraps or an oily rag are all it takes to get going again,and a bath in free hot water is always more enjoyable than one where your meter is spinning.

My wife just won't let me get ahead, I bring home wood she burns it, what's a guy to do. 44° sure seems warm enough to me, but she keeps the fire going

Back