Why are the old Stihl 028's not selling good anymore?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

GoRving

I just don't understand why one of the best little saws ever made has lost alot of it's appeal to collectors and users. I recently got a nice little 028 Super powerhead that had been sitting so long that the carb adjustment screws were "stuck", and needed some PB Blaster to turn, but it cranked and ran with fresh fuel(as it was). I looked on fee-bay, and it seems that folks can't give them away hardly. I'm gonna put a new 18" bar and chain on mine and keep it for firewood. They are fun to cut with. Not gonna buy any more saws, though.....:laugh::laugh:

I just don't understand why one of the best little saws ever made has lost alot of it's appeal to collectors and users. I recently got a nice little 028 Super powerhead that had been sitting so long that the carb adjustment screws were "stuck", and needed some PB Blaster to turn, but it cranked and ran with fresh fuel(as it was). I looked on fee-bay, and it seems that folks can't give them away hardly. I'm gonna put a new 18" bar and chain on mine and keep it for firewood. They are fun to cut with. Not gonna buy any more saws, though.....:laugh::laugh:

Have never owned one but think its too close to the 026 or 260 in power. Not sure what the Super model has for cc's, though.

I have a very nice 028 AV Super Sitting here. It is one of the later models and I thought for sure it would get snapped right up if I listed it on C-list.

Well, only one interesed person and he doesn't want it. Bummer.

They are a better saw than the Ms290 that people are giving $250 for but I guess people just don't know

The 260 has taken its place for users wanting older design.

They are a better saw than the Ms290 that people are giving $250 for but I guess people just don't know

And they respond pretty well to porting... I got video of the old 47cc wood boss pulling a 28" bar this weekend at the GTG... That's got full comp 3/8 chain on it too... I'd never use that bar on it, but we had to see what it would do...:msp_wink:

[video=youtube;0TpbpUWTyhw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TpbpUWTyhw[/video]

I think its one of those classic saws that doesn't like to die. That being said most people out there just want their stuff to work without having to tinker with it. They are old and a lot of them are requiring some maintenance at varying levels. A lot of them are coming up on 30 years old (mine was made 1985) can you believe it?

Check this out....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-PRISTINE-STIHL-028-AV-EQ-SUPER-WOODBOSS-/250910158283?pt=US_Chainsaws&hash=item3a6b692dcb

$695.00!!!!!

Hell, mine looks as good as that one:

52857d1181960249-100_2373-jpg

52862d1181960784-100_2376-jpg

And they respond pretty well to porting... I got video of the old 47cc wood boss pulling a 28" bar this weekend at the GTG... That's got full comp 3/8 chain on it too... I'd never use that bar on it, but we had to see what it would do...:msp_wink:

[video=youtube;0TpbpUWTyhw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TpbpUWTyhw[/video]

Hedge...What kinda wood is that?

Its a crying shame. 028 is one of the best built saws ever made. I sold my 028 Super, and wish I had another one. I like it better than an 026.

The 260 has taken its place for users wanting older design.

I've found this to be very true recently, a year or two ago clean 260's would often go close to or over 300$
used on ebay. Ive sold 3 260's in the last month on ebay clean saws, brand new bars and chains all bringing
about 75$ less than they use to.

Problem with the 028's is that parts are becoming obsolete, carb's are NLA, ignitions are expensive and hard to find
and these are the two most common issues with these saws.

Back