Why are the old Stihl 028's not selling good anymore?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same reason that horse drawn carriages and steam engine power are no longer around.

Not true, I have a garage full of them....

1904buggy040.jpg

buggy1.jpg

Surrey1.jpg

BGStudeWagon.jpg

SouthBend011-1.jpg

I've got three 028's built ahead that I was planning to sell, but nobody seems interested lately. Not that I worry about that. If saws don't sell, I just cut wood with them until they do......In fact I spent half of Sunday, cutting with an old mag tank 028WB. I love the old girls!

Back in the summer I got $155 for a good looking 028 wb on ebay. I believe it looked as good as the $695 saw, but my description was more modest.

Very dependable chainsaws if you take the few minutes a day to keep the air filters unclogged. I never remember a dealer complain about them but I heard them rave of their reliability. I;ve run several cuttting firewood and find them sweet little cutters with the super model boasting significantly more power but the 026 feels like a significantly better 50cc saw overall power to weight, and ease of maintnence. I haven't noticed it any harder to find used parts for an 028 vs 026 and don't see why an 028 would be an bad choice for occaisonal users and small time firewood cutters that do most their own maintnence and knows how to buy used parts on the internet.

wb

Technology has passed them by. An 028 with points ignition requires regular service, not much, but most people don't know how to do it. For $300 or so you can buy a new homeowner saw with about the same power, but with modern air filtration, electronic ignition, real antivibe, and superior fuel economy.

That said, I've got a sweet 028 wb about ready to sell with electronic ignition, so I hope I'm wrong about the above! I still see them go for over $200 on eBay occasionally, so maybe mine is worth something...

my 028 super wood boss

i love mine,nice to run,great looking, they r 51.5 cm same as cc's i think, 3.5 hp.

I just got this one, think I may keep it at least for a while. I have been offered to trade a Husky 272+$100 cash for it....LOL

I see. That saw is minty minty. Kinda like Tzed's. I like the 028S, did I mention that? Squish and a muff mod makes them a fun zippy little firewood saw. I do like the 028S.

Here's one I had earlier this year.

Fellow called me up, said he was on his way over, made a test cut and off he went.

This was one pretty saw.

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

Thats what I dont understand, is that there are a LOT of them out there in great shape. I know they are great saws, but did that many go little used? I suppose back in that day it was a cheaper saw to buy with less variety than now, maybe that is why. Did I just possibly answer my own question?

I often find them with very low hours of use, often bought originally to clean up after a blow/hurricane, then shelved for many years as most low hour saws come from owners that did not burn wood for heat. Some I have picked up had less than two tanks of fuel through them. I also got a 041 that had less than one tank through it

The most recent one I posted had a smoked piston/rings. The aluminum transfer on the cylinder came off with some Works and elbow grease.

I'm guessing old fuel, or straight gas, messed her up.

I ran a few tanks through her and off she went. One of only two 028 saws I've had that had provision for a side chain tensioner.

The other one is the Orange lettered Super I have now. With 158 psi of compression, not sure if I want to let her go too quickly.

There’s a lot of these saws parted out on eBay, but just once I wish I could find a muffler at a reasonable price. When I was freshening up my saw one of the welded nuts on the muffler clamshell broke off with the bolt still inside it. It's not helping that I have the early three bolt muffler either, but maybe I'm just too damn anal.

just sold a strong 028AV today on Craigslist for $200
that was a good running saw!

Back