Why are the old Stihl 028's not selling good anymore?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice thread. I'd like to grab one for firewood duty one of these days.

Out of curiosity, what modern saw (if any) does the 028 most closely compare to?

Any 50cc class saw... They're heavier than the 346, and don't cut as fast, but they're nice saws anyway. Longevity and dependability were their strong suit... Not to mention I just like cutting with them... Can't quantify that statement though...
:beauty3:

The 028's will probably be like the Mac 35's as far as rarity goes. There's still a ton of them out there 60+ years later.

My 028 is awaiting a new clutch side seal, and I think I will try to dual port the muff (while I'm waiting!!). I have lowered the squish and ported a bit, but I think I still need some work.....:rock:

I'm like Jerry, I've sold many 028s......I would like to acquire a nice super for the collection though....[/QUOTE]

I think I might keep this one for a while;

Picturesteer%252520roast%2525202011%252520006.jpg

Picturesteer%252520roast%2525202011%252520007.jpg

Picturesteer%252520roast%2525202011%252520008.jpg

Back in the '80s, the 028 was the first Stihl I bought on my own and used to make money doing tree work. Because of that, there will always be an 028 of some version in my collection. And a saw I'll use, not just look at. You can have it when you pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Nuff said? :msp_sneaky:

As for depressed prices lately for 028 saws, that model was one of the most popular in modern chainsaw history. Like the Homelite XL series saws, the 028 changed a LOT of things when it was introduced.

Time marches on, and it's marched far enough so the venerable 028 series is falling out of demand. Just like those of us who got to neck with the gal before she was of legal age. :D :D

As for me, I'm glad prices have come down. Makes it even cheaper to pick up parts saws.

Latest posts

Back