Why buy a 660 before 2010?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troy G

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
At this point I am a one saw man, I run a 361 that is soon to be muffler modded.

I am looking at getting something bigger but am wondering if I should buy now or wait to see what new models are going to be like from STIHL. I doubt I will have the 660 modded and would like something that is smooth AV wise like my 361. I have read that the 660 is not really smooth but it must not be a huge issue if so many people are running them. Running one at the dealer is not an option as the biggest he stocks is the 441 and 460. The 460 doesn't really seem like a big enough step up from a 361. The dealer is willing to give me what I think to be a decent deal for basically buying a 660 sight unseen. Dealer said 1100 CAN with the bar and chain of my choice.

Buy now or wait for new models to come out?

I'm personally looking forward to the 661. Likely to be smoother, more power, less fuel use and better filtration. The saw is already heavy, what's another pound?

I know I go against the flow here, but I strongly suggest you try a 660 in person before you buy.

Great saw (I have an 066), but very buzzy as compared to certain saws. Bothers some (me) not others, but what is most important is you.

If the vibration level doesn't bother you, then get it as it otherwise is awesome for the weight.

your worried about a 90cc saw being smooth? :censored:

Yes, I prefer a 90cc saw to be smooth. And an 80cc saw. And a 120cc saw.

But not worried, cause I have a 395, 7900s, and 3120s. All smooth.....

I realize vibration doesn't bother everyone's hands, though. But it does mine and I need them to work as well as possible for as long as possible. I abused my hands too much when younger working, and am smart enough to avoid any wear and tear I can now.

Edit: I know the 661 will be smooth as glass, too, although it may take a few years to work out the wrinkles.

Last edited:
Guess I never really thought about it with a big old daddy saw in hand. Just always expected it to feel like it was "eating" :chainsawguy:

I'm personally looking forward to the 661. Likely to be smoother, more power, less fuel use and better filtration. The saw is already heavy, what's another pound?

I have a feeling that the 661 is a long ways away. I've spoken with a few stihl reps that have said that it'll be a while before it goes. Maybe they were wrong, but they said they just dont sell enough of them and have plenty of credits from 4mix strimmers.

From what I've been hearing some dealers have already gotten hang tags for the MS362 and some other models that have yet to be fully announced. Typically this means that STIHL could be looking to make these saws available in the farily near future (next five to six months). If they were coming out much after that then the hang tags would most likely be sent with the Summer or Fall merchandising kits and not at the current time, but who knows?! Personally my concerns with the new models have primarily to do with issues like the filter design (MS441 for example) and some other issues associated with saw design.

At this point I am a one saw man, I run a 361 that is soon to be muffler modded.

I am looking at getting something bigger but am wondering if I should buy now or wait to see what new models are going to be like from STIHL. I doubt I will have the 660 modded and would like something that is smooth AV wise like my 361. I have read that the 660 is not really smooth but it must not be a huge issue if so many people are running them. Running one at the dealer is not an option as the biggest he stocks is the 441 and 460. The 460 doesn't really seem like a big enough step up from a 361. The dealer is willing to give me what I think to be a decent deal for basically buying a 660 sight unseen. Dealer said 1100 CAN with the bar and chain of my choice.

Buy now or wait for new models to come out?

Buy it now. Because you can.

attachment.php

attachment.php

i dont cut wood for a living...just to heat shop and house....nothing beats a raty bone shakn torque monster old saw...if your worried about shake... grab an old stihl with no antivibes...then everything new is comfortable

i dont cut wood for a living...just to heat shop and house....nothing beats a raty bone shakn torque monster old saw...if your worried about shake... grab an old stihl with no antivibes...then everything new is comfortable

Same here, but I sell firewood from time to time. I ran a few old saws, and while fun to run for a while, running them all the time would suck after running newer av saws!

Last edited:
Who cares if he needs one? Apparently he wanted one. I dont need half the #### I have, but I have it. Thats part of being free.
then buy the darn thing and quit askin dump azz questions about the vibes

Same here, but I sell firewood from time to time. I ran a few old saws, and while fun to run for a while, running them all the time would suck after running newer av saws!
cant really hear u....my super duper antivibe 075 is a little loud

do u even need a 660....for firewood?

Is that question actually on the agenda? No. I have an 056 Mag 2 or two. I have wanted an 066 for some time. The wrap, big cover and dogs showed me that this was the proper choice for 11 bills. I will use it to fell the giant hackberry shown in the thread "Groundie."

You should not have had to ask that question. You know the answer.:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
I know I go against the flow here, but I strongly suggest you try a 660 in person before you buy.

Great saw (I have an 066), but very buzzy as compared to certain saws. Bothers some (me) not others, but what is most important is you.

If the vibration level doesn't bother you, then get it as it otherwise is awesome for the weight.

B_Turner, my best friend couldn't stand me having a bigger saw than him so he went out today and came home with a brand new 660 just to have a saw bigger than my 390xp :) That's what having friends is for right!LOL. Anyhow, we promptly modded the muffler, threw the break-in procedure out the window, and tuned the 660 to 13,200 rpm's. That saw is amazing, but exactly what you said....it sure felt "buzzy". I could never find the right wording for it but comparing the two....side by side, both running....just setting one saw down while the other idled on the ground and cutting with the other on the same 19" piece of white-oak it was obvious to my hands that the 660 felt buzzy compared the 390. It sure cut awful quick with full-comp on a 32" bar. Man that 660 is a mean saw!
Sorry bout' the long post....I always seem to be long winded:dizzy:

Latest posts

Back