Why Can't We Grow Trees Like Carrots & Potatoes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
Reaction score
What's wrong with this video?
Doe's it show a complete disregard for the resource?
John

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sWriDiWP3Os?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sWriDiWP3Os?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Might have something to do with needing a BIG digger to get em out of the ground!

Probably be easier to harvest em like corn silage:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6kh04jdxIlQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6kh04jdxIlQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

BTW that chopper's putting out 825HP!

You could easily film a movie on what happens when you don't manage the forest. Catastrophic fires are blamed on "climate change" but I imagine there's a correlation with when forest management--salvage of bug kill, stopped.

People now see the red trees from the highway. The red and dying trees used to get sold, cut and sent to a mill. Not so anymore, on public lands.
The next step is for a fire to just burn it up. The city people think that is wonderful, the people who live downwind of the smoke don't like it so much.

I could write volumes on emotions and mismanagement, but I won't. My hands would hurt. It isn't just hippies, I call it the environmental industry.

I am not a logger, but don't these hippies get the fact that trees are a RENEWABLE resource one of the only ones we have on this planet. It is my understanding that most of the trees being cut are second and third growth, hell maybe even fourth. Why are they so short sided trees like carrots and potatoes need time to grow after being harvested. Sure a clear cut is not pretty but neither is a thousand acre corn field, but guess what it grows back through careful land management. I know i am ranting to guys that know more than I do and make a living off of timber and God bless you for it you help build America.
I think i read quote on this site tree huggers want to save all the senior citizens and not the children.

Anyone without a forestry degree and/or some experience working in the woods either setting chokers or running a saw shouldn't have a say in forest management.

I don't go around telling lawyers how they should litigate a particular issue or tell doctors that they shouldn't do a specific type of treatment when it really works.

I went to Eureka Productions website... they're a little "biased".

New age hippies...

Gary

Yup, instead of using the term clearcutting, they used deforestation. Those terms are not synonymous and have totally different meanings.

Same old story, same old rhetoric. That video is good, but it's dated. What a lot of people watching it won't know is that LP isn't even a player out here anymore. They closed quite a few of their mills and sold the rest to SPI. They also sold off their timber holdings. A lot of small towns in this area still haven't recovered from that.

But the struggle goes on...different names, different faces, different tactics. I don't know of any other industry that has to fight so hard just to stay alive.

Same old story, same old rhetoric. That video is good, but it's dated. What a lot of people watching it won't know is that LP isn't even a player out here anymore. They closed quite a few of their mills and sold the rest to SPI. They also sold off their timber holdings. A lot of small towns in this area still haven't recovered from that.

But the struggle goes on...different names, different faces, different tactics. I don't know of any other industry that has to fight so hard just to stay alive.

Ranching? Farming? Anything that is hard for the first couple of generations of people who have never lived on or near a farm/ranch/rural place to understand?

A big timber company up here has been busy subdividing and selling parcels for permanent and summer homes. But this is not a new thing.

At the risk of sounding like a tree hugger or leaf kisser, we certainly can grow trees like carrots, just like any other vegetated matter.

The healthiest forests are those stands of uneven age, whereby there is always something to harvest. This I guess is conservation.
Preservation is where nothing is cut, these are called Parks.
Even the most hardcore timber terrorist cannot deny that the resource has been pulped, pilaged, pounded and pilfered with impunity.
It all comes down to proper management and the proper allocation of funds gleaned from the resource.
Most people, even loggers have no concept of how big the resource really is.
Throw into the mix that more timber is lost thru flood, hurricane, landslides, wildfire , bug infestation and land reclaimation, one can see that loggers really have only cut a very small percentage.
Regardless, the stuff is growing and dieing faster than we can cut it down.

We have more trees now they say then we did 100 years ago, although the quality and size is alot less.
I could go on, but it's not all gloom and doom for the resource.
Things just have to be put into proper perspective.
John

I really don't think you need a degree to know how things work or to have an opinion for that matter.

Anyone without a forestry degree and/or some experience working in the woods either setting chokers or running a saw shouldn't have a say in forest management.

I don't go around telling lawyers how they should litigate a particular issue or tell doctors that they shouldn't do a specific type of treatment when it really works.

Perfectly said!

I really don't think you need a degree to know how things work or to have an opinion for that matter.

There's a lot of people with that kind of mindset that say clearcuts don't work and that they cause erosion :monkey:

There's a lot of people with that kind of mindset that say clearcuts don't work and that they cause erosion :monkey:

Surely you aren't suggesting that clearcutting some of the places we did after grapple-yarding developed did nothing to contribute to erosion?

And clearcuts work awesome.......from the companies and logger's points of view.

Not the kindest way to log from everyone else's point of view.

With hindsight it's perfectly clear we did things in a very destructive manner after WWII and the development of powersaws and high-lead logging. The following development of grapple-yarding with its requirement for more roads to be built on steep sidehills made a major contribution to and was the primary cause for many large areas where erosion caused huge problems in streams and rivers. To suggest otherwise is simply not on.
We spend millions of dollars annually just in salmon enhancement trying to mitigate some of the damage done by the careless practises of old.
I've always seen it as the ultimate irony that it turned out that one of our greatest self-propogating resources (forestry) had such an adverse effect on the other great self-replenishing resource, salmon.

Ah well, hindsight is perfect n'est ce pas?

Take care.

And read the above for posts "the problem". One person advocating clear cuts, another saying no, because look what was done in the past. No compromise, or if there is, the enviros will dictate it.

Clearcuts should not be banned. Nor should they be the only prescription. There's places for them, and places where they should never be.

Salmon? We spend millions on stream restoration here. You know what is funny? No salmon can make it up the river without being trucked. There are dams blocking the river. Think that might be an "adverse effect"?

We're on the other side of the pendulum. I'll exaggerate but it isn't too far from the truth. We mustn't let one soil particle into a stream or it will kill all the salmon in the world. Now, have you ever seen the color of rivers and streams after a heavy rain? The streams coming out of "pristine" wilderness?
What color are they? We're buffering streams by as much as 400 feet in --THINNINGS. We don't allow stream crossings, we make it darn hard to log.
Then there's the cleaup work. Mulch, seed, subsoiling, waterbars. There's more.

Things have changed.

If salmon are so endangered, why are we allowing fishing for them? Why are we hearing about record breaking runs on the Columbia?

Because we no longer clear cut, we have elk living in the valleys year round. They used to just come down in the winter. Now we have to dodge them on the highway year round. A deputy sheriff was killed when he slammed into an elk.

Huckleberry patches are getting squeezed out by trees.

The viewpoints along roads no longer have views. I have to mention all the unemployment. The woods used to provide employment for most of our residents.

Yet, we have the professional environmentalists, who are educated with law degrees, and degrees in fine arts, (examples) and funded by the second generation of city people, telling foresters how to manage the forest. They dictate how to log, but don't know the difference between high lead and a skidder. They don't want to learn, either.

Rant done for today.

Well, that 'pristine wilderness" Is generally upstream from some big, old, poorly managed clearcuts.

Anyone recall...cut it low, burn it black, grow it back.

The Devil is in the grow it back phase. At times the timeline between burn it black & grow it back gets extended. That can mean all the topsoil is now glogging salmon spawning beds.

Or in the case of USFS that multiple use thing gets in the way. Reforest a cc then run cows on it. Cows walk down the rows, nip the terminal leader, spit it out, then proceed 9 more feet down the row & deja vu, all over again.

Yup, gross generalizations here. The truth hurts.

Back