Why Can't We Grow Trees Like Carrots & Potatoes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amen to that. Are you in WV? I don't see how that mining practice is illegal. Removing a MOUNTAIN should be against the law. There are better ways to get at the coal.

Just catchin' up to you. I've been working in coal country timber for nearly the last 2 years, not clearing for strip mining, but the peripheral timber. We've helicopter logged, jammer logged, yarders, you name it, and by and large practiced real silviculture, all on land that may well be under a valley fill in a few years.

Its been fascinating. It is a complex issue, and as with timber, there is more to it than one's emotional response. Do I like it, no, but I can't tell you I know just where to draw the line.

Often the last 20 min. of my drive would be across MTR terrain.

I wish more than anything the beautification committee would make a stop in the coal fields, its rough country and most of those communities could use a real pick me up.

I done tramped myself today, on to a new gig in a new region so no more coal fields.

MTR:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
I would much rather see clearcuts in my area. Looks better then a mountain with its top sliced off.

I got to clear cut about 120 acres of prime red & white oak that was being eaten by gypsy moths out there on Potts Mtn. west of Salem VA. I really wanna go back there to see how things are progressing. Im sure you can barely walk for all the sprouts coming up.

More MTR (mountain top removal)

Before:
attachment.php

Valley Fill: (it will be vegetated w/ grass)
attachment.php

Is the MTR for mining? As in actually taking the top of the mountain off?

We cut along top ridges for the govt over there at Jerrys Run. Alot of the timber on top was old and small chesnut oak with some red & white oak and a few basses.

Mmm, guess I could have read your above post. . .

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, rip off the top of the mountain to strip the coal seams. Dump the spoil in the valleys. Most montains have strip benches where they benched the edges at the coal seams and augered in, sometimes up to 1000' deep, 4' wide, every 4'. So the MTR is just getting the rest.

There is still lots of underground mining too. There is a lot of coal miner pride around there, though I imagine the comeraderie is a lot stronger underground.

Yes. plenty of good timber, although like most of Appalachia, you can pretty well figure it was ALL clearcut in the late 1800's, then poked around in high grade style in the 50's and again in the 80's. Of course, there's places they couldn't get to, a few places they never got to, but we did...... Plus, there are a whole lot more markets available now for a wider variety of products.

Its site specific, southern and western slopes are pretty brutal, ridgetops can be decent, but your east and north slopes can really be loaded, as well as deep in any holler. I love working deep in a holler.

A low area or deep hollow full of poplars, O yea! that is a fun time!!
I cut a small stand below Natural Bridge that was growing along the creek on an inside bend.(out of the smz of course!) The surrounding hill sides gave them the perfect setup to get tall and fat.

Back