Why do people still buy stihl saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
computeruser

computeruser

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
After reading a few threads in the last week on here and handling a few stihl saws at the local dealer I figured I should ask what I was missing. It seems with the exception of the 461 most people would rather have the older versions.

I don't know that I'd agree with you. The current lineup has a number of competitive models and a number of new-is-better-than-old models. Some have gained weight, some have changed their handling balance a bit, but they are all solid performers. 201, 261, 362, 441, 461, these are all respectable performers in their displacement class.

As for the older models being preferred, it really depends on which older models. Would I rather have a NIB 10mm 044 or a 441? That's easy. An 026 versus a 261? Depends on what my goal was.

And, at least around here, their dealer network beats anybody else's by a significant margin. I don't even know where I'd go to find Husqvarna parts in stock, much less Husqvarna saws. And don't even get started on the hunt for local Dolmar parts. I think that dealer support is a consideration that weighs heavily on many people's minds at least as much as those last few ounces or tenths of a horsepower, and on that front, Stihl wins.

*disclaimer: I own only one Stihl saw, an 020AVP. I own and run Husqvarna almost exclusively, but I also own at least two of each model, so immediate dealer support is less of a concern.

1Alpha1

1Alpha1

100% USDA Certified Abnormality-Free.
. AS Supporting Member.
They are heavy, clunky and expensive. And I've seen more then a few posts on here about wanting to convert m-tronic saws to standard carbs.

K

I wasn't aware that there were other brands to consider. :popcorn2:

fearofpavement

fearofpavement

Trying them all
I've never had a Dolmar. (can't recall coming across any), never saw a Dolmar dealer in these parts. So that brand is not in the running around here. That said, I either owned or currently own saws from nearly every recent manufacturer. So I've got choices. I happen to prefer Stihls so have more of those than any other and my permanent line up is all Stihl. I sold a Stihl MS460 today to a guy that left very happy. I buy GM vehicles because I think they're the best. My old vehicles are all Fords because they used to be best. But of course these are my opinions and it's because people have different opinions that there's multiple brands of nearly everything including green beans and rice.

Lutty440

Lutty440

ArboristSite Member
Well I bought my first stihl saw in 2007 for 189$ and my father split the cost. so great deal. Then an MS440 magnum was on sale for 840$ in 2013 so I pulled that trigger. Wish I had bought the MS461 for$999 this spring but I didn't. Now I'm looking for good JReds.

Onan18

Onan18

ArboristSite Operative
Stihl builds a good saw and for a long time was king of the top handle market. The MS 201 T is still a popular choice but the Husqvarna T540XP is set to be a game changer. Stihls always to me felt lighter and more nimble for limbing, torque in big wood though, Husqvarna all the way.

Joe

Big_Wood

Big_Wood

westcoast dweller
Stihl builds a good saw and for a long time was king of the top handle market. The MS 201 T is still a popular choice but the Husqvarna T540XP is set to be a game changer. Stihls always to me felt lighter and more nimble for limbing, torque in big wood though, Husqvarna all the way.

Joe

LOL, it would seem that you are completely ass backwards of anyone else :laugh: that's ok though. never heard of a light nimble stihl. i've heard of light blocky poorly balanced fat ass stihls with handling similar to a gut shot seagull though ;) :cheers:

Onan18

Onan18

ArboristSite Operative
LOL, it would seem that you are completely ass backwards of anyone else :laugh: that's ok though. never heard of a light nimble stihl. i've heard of light blocky poorly balanced fat ass stihls with handling similar to a gut shot seagull though ;) :cheers:

To each their own, I always liked an 026 PRO for limbing. I am running a 18" .325 bar on mine and it works very well for me.

Joe

Big_Wood

Big_Wood

westcoast dweller
To each their own, I always liked an 026 PRO for limbing. I am running a 18" .325 bar on mine and it works very well for me.

Joe

do you have any experience with any other 50cc saw? you just reminded me of a light nimble stihl and yes it is the 026. sold my 260 pro 4 or so months ago and kinda miss it as it was my truck saw. go run a 261 then tell me you think it's light and nimble for a 50cc saw :laugh: