Why Do You Buy New or Used???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first three real saws, 310-5100-180 have all been bought new at a dealer. The 044 I just bought from the trading post here is obviously used. The other saws in my sig came to me used but I didn't actually buy them. The were given to me.

Buy Used Locally

I buy used saws locally, after meeting sellers and testing/checking saws.

When I meet a seller, I take 20+" dia white or red oak well dried round with me to test cut at least several times.

If I feel anything funny while test cutting, I ask if I can check the saw thoroughly (including removing muffler and checking piston and rings).

If I find something I do not like, or the seller refuses to let me check the saw, I just do not buy the saw.

I stopped buying saws from e-bay, because it is too late when you test them.
I learned a good lesson in a hard way.

Noko

I've never bought a used saw. The only way I would is if I knew personally the guy selling it and knew how he ran it and how he took care of it.
I need my saws for work and depending on a used one is just too big of a gamble. Plus, the new ones are a good write-off.

I like sussing out second handies because the thought of missing out on a good deal is too much.

I have bout 2 newies and they are nice but it's better pulling out a tidy saw you picked up for a steal.

I picked up a used MS200T for a great price and when it's tearing limbs off and it was cheap it brings a :)

The best cost versus income provided is my humble elcheapo secondhand Husky 142. My new 488 is going to have to do a few more jobs yet to catch up.

New saws are great, for what they are, but I think they are simply overpriced. There is no way the materials are costing the companys that much. Personally I like used saws, even if they are projects.
I have probably around 450$ in my 394 and 371, and I figure thats savings of over 700$

Just my opinion.
Although new saws sure are nice to look at

I think Gologit's, got the statement for the loggers and pros. They need a dependable saw, so they get one with the warranty for a while

I have never even paid for a saw and I maybe have a total of $200.00 into fixing the ones that I have. I am currently looking for a screaming deal on a 90+cc saw and that is getting a little tough to find for free but since I do not cut for a living I am in no rush.

New saws are great, for what they are, but I think they are simply overpriced. There is no way the materials are costing the companys that much. Personally I like used saws, even if they are projects.
I have probably around 450$ in my 394 and 371, and I figure thats savings of over 700$

Just my opinion.
Although new saws sure are nice to look at

I think Gologit's, got the statement for the loggers and pros. They need a dependable saw, so they get one with the warranty for a while

You're right about them being over priced. I respect the fact that the manufacturer and the dealer need to make a profit but sometimes I wonder just how much it really costs, if you factor in everything, to build a saw.

I admire the guys that take the old saws and rebuild them...I wish I had the time to do that.

I have never even paid for a saw and I maybe have a total of $200.00 into fixing the ones that I have. I am currently looking for a screaming deal on a 90+cc saw and that is getting a little tough to find for free but since I do not cut for a living I am in no rush.

Good luck on the 90 plus. Been looking 4 a while. :givebeer:

I always look for a good deal on a used "pro" saw, but they go for too much money. Used saws in this area are priced 3/4 of what a new saw is.

I got my eye on a 372xpw but am wondering if buying new is worth the price. How many here actually splurg on the new all the time?

New for the saw seems to be 800+ and used 350-500. Since I plan on keeping the saw for the better part of my life, I was thinking ahhh screw it, just get the new. Then I know it's background. Then I remember coming across a 395xp at an auction that started on the first pull and that sold for $230 (I know, F me).

Seems the Amish around here spiff up their saw's muffler with engine block paint before selling. Kinda my way (and apparently others) to tell age and wear on a saw.

I know many here get $$$ via a fund from their union or company for saws. So what are you blowing it on. New or Used?

First of all, Welcome to the forum. Thanks for coming in. Stop by often and enjoy the banter. Comments are welcome as well.

I could not even tell you where to buy a new saw if they didn't sell parts at the same place. Never bought a new car in my life, never bought a new saw in my life. Never made a payment on anything I could not live in. It's my rule of accounting...Never amortize a depreciating asset.

Used because I'd rather let someone else take the hit on depreciation, and I know enough about saws to do almost all of my own work (still learning & get stumped occasionally) so a warranty doesn't really mean much to me. Even if I had warranty I'd still probably want to fix it myself. Also, if buying used it's possible to make money by buying a saw rather than lose it if you know what to look for. I do see the lure of buying new though - but I always feel guilty putting that first scratch or scuff on a brand new anything so I'd probably have a hard time even using a mint saw.

I bought my first saw ever in April '07 - I had wanted to get into chainsaw milling and, without a ton of money to spend, was debating getting a brand new 372XP & Alaskan. In the end I bought a used, but well maintained, 395 from the dealer for a bit less than half of new cost, AND a Husky 50 from a pawnshop for $225 (which in retrospect was a bit steep but not terrible), and along with the Alaskan I came out about $100 less than I would have paid for the 372 & mill.

Even apart from the economics of it though, it is fun to take some old clunker and at least get it running again, if not restore it as well. If I had Jay Leno's money, I'd probably have a garage full of old cars and projects too. But I don't, and to me chainsaws are a great (relatively) cheap alternative to feed my fixing/tinkering compulsions.

Last edited:
Even being a dealer myself, used saws are more fun than new ones. I like taking a saw that was given up on and getting it going again. Most of the guys on this forum are more than capable of doing their own work, so used is no problem. Especially when you own several saws and it's not a big deal if one is down for a while. But believe me, that is not true of the general public. A majority of people are not even capable of general maintenance and they are often shopping for a new saw because they have ruined their current unit.

There are an awful lot of unwanted saws out there that people place little if any value on. There is no need to pay high, or get into bidding wars on e-bay. I agree with Mike's percentages on what to pay for used saws. If your not saving at least 30%-40% then you might as well get new. The best prices are on non-pro models of course. Lot's of stuff in the $100-$200 range. The best type of deal if you can find one is to get a pro saw that wasn't used professionally. Maybe a guy that bought a 372 to cut his firewood and no longer wants it. It will have relatively low hours on it, and if it wasn't abused, then getting it for 1/2 the price of a new one is a great deal.

But.........and this won't make sense at first, I won't sell used saws in the store. For one thing, I have new saws from $250 on up. For example, I have some leftover 350's that Husky found laying around. I sell them for $275, so how cheap would a used saw of similar size have to be? $150? And then I have to look at how much time I have in it. I can spend hour after hour messing with saws in the workshop at home. But at the store I'm naturally going to bill people for my time, and it's $60 per hour plus parts. And I would absolutely have to go through them pretty good to make sure they were OK, which brings up the last point. People naturally expect some kind of warranty buying from a dealer vs. a garage sale, so you have to make enough to cover something unexpected.

A quick story: Couple years ago I sold a used snowblower for a couple hundred bucks. In nice shape and ran great. I serviced it. Started up on the first or second pull every time. Turns out that the electric starter wasn't working, but I never checked it out. Customer wanted me to put a new starter on it, but the math on that didn't work for me at all. I'm not saying the customer's request was out of line, even at the great price he paid for the blower. But if he bought it at a garage sale, he sure wouldn't be going back to the guys house asking for a starter. I just put my cards on the table regarding the numbers and told him that I wouldn't buy him a new starter, but I'd gladly give him his money back on the snowblower, which is what we did. I just took the starter off the blower and sold it to someone else for the same price as the first guy, who wound up buying a new one. A happy ending for everybody, but it shows you how you can get bit with that stuff.

I buy both new and used. But that is going to stop. Just looking at the new 2200 series jonsereds every saw that I looked a went up at least 1 pound with no increase in power. I did really good and epay this last year. And should have enough saws to last me the rest of my life. Its not that I won't buy another saw its just that I won't have to.

Billy

Win some ya lose some on buying used. Recently picked up a 262XP on the bay for 250...week later a guy at work offered me a 262XP for 100. The 100 dollar one runs excellent...the ebay saw looks better but will need carb rebuilt and new fuel line.

I vote used. I would rather have four 300$ saws than one 1200$ saw.

When you buy used, even though you may get a fair amount of money in parts, you get to spread out the pain. As in, money is tight this week, I don't think I will buy any parts.

I get a sense of satisfaction from using a tool that somebody else gave up on.

I enjoy working/tinkering with saws. It is kind of a stress relief.

I only ever bought one new saw, and I rarely use it. I just keep it around just in case. I did use it last week because I had three saws taken apart on my bench waiting on parts.

Like everything else it depends

If I know the seller or the saw's history, used is great. If the saw is a trade at a reputable dealer and he vouches for it, no issue. Problem is the last few saws I bought or wanted to buy were pretty much unavailable used.

I'm capable of repairs if I have the time, problem is I don't, got enough busted up stuff to work on let alone adding a few saws.

Take Care

Nothing wrong with a good used saw. I buy new because I'm going to have it forever.

Back