why would husky/jonsered market a saw that runs this poorly???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine too!! You're not from rush or decatur county(Indiana), are you?
I've had 4 or 5 Jonsereds, all new and neary a problem,,Herr Schmidt fuels 'em, starts 'em, walks out back to a sawbuck and runs/tunes them and hands them off to me. After I've made a couple cuts he ask if it's okay, I've always said, "Yep" and down the road I go,,
Don't give up on that saw, it may just need a little tuning,,,
live up near shipshewana, in the heart of amish/farm country

In defence of Jonsereds, I was impressed with a couple of 630's I pulled apart today. Thin ring piston like some 2100's and 181's.
the 2260 has impressed me so far, it runs like a scalded dog. the 2253, not so much. i am still very intriged at how this new platform is put together, it looks pretty busy in the carb area.

i finally had a chance to put some time on my new 2253 today, it runs like crap. i ran almost 6 full tanks through it, and has a serious bog/hesitation just off idle. i can't believe that anyone would market a product, continually, with this issue. i.e. 562/2260 and the 550/2253. why havent they fixed this well known issue. my 2260 has about 10-12 tanks through it, and runs perfectly. i thought IT would be the saw i had to worry about, and the 2253 would be fine. no such luck, anyone want a 2253 cheap, it just might be for sale soon.
EPA specs cuase that issue. Phuck the epa make shure it dont have cat in it. Tune it up right and run more oil. My eco sounded just like what you explained and now it runs real nice.

on a rather light hearted/funny sidenote, the dealer here in my neck of the woods is amish. get this, he has a laptop, and all the software to diagnose and service these saws.
A buddy of mine had some Amish come cut wood and they pulled in in a new f-350 crew cab diesel, talking on a cell phone and running new stihl saws. They cut logs in six or eight foot lengths so the boys back home could cut into firewood lengths with a buck saw![emoji1]

EPA specs cuase that issue. Phuck the epa make shure it dont have cat in it. Tune it up right and run more oil. My eco sounded just like what you explained and now it runs real nice.
So only the ones that run poorly meet EPA rules? It's an AutoTune saw and it sounds like there's sonething wrong with it.

So only the ones that run poorly meet EPA rules? It's an AutoTune saw and it sounds like there's sonething wrong with it.
The epa has taken performance away from most engines. Why is it ppl want there saws running a bit richer? Exhaust temps too high and score or burn pistons? Less oil cause of smoke or pollution? . Tears up engines a bit quicker than 40/1 and richer. And now how many tunable saws do you have that may have had limiter caps on them that you removed.

The carb on the 550 has a L speed screw, you have to pull the carb to get to it. The 550 is not known to have the same carb issues as the 562. Sorry I smell something funny in this thread, smalls a little like BS.
What's b.s. here? It is new saw that is not running right, plain and simple. What is b.s. about that?

The epa has taken performance away from most engines. Why is it ppl want there saws running a bit richer? Exhaust temps too high and score or burn pistons? Less oil cause of smoke or pollution? . Tears up engines a bit quicker than 40/1 and richer. And now how many tunable saws do you have that may have had limiter caps on them that you removed.

Some of your posts are incredibly hard to understand.

Can you break this one down ?

I cant crack the code..im trying to understand..

Older saws rule. You dont need a ipad or laptop to tune them.

You can't tune the A/T saw that way either Mike.

Like I said, I've torn down several 545, 550, 2253, etc with bad transfer seals. Husky has improved the transfer cover and seal in the last few months....but there are more than a few out there with built in vacuum leaks. Another place to check is the intake boot......I've seen a few assembled incorrectly from the factory, and the boot was rolled in. They also made an improvement there, and added a intake ring to keep that from happening.

Correct mixtures make power. Rich mixtures waste fuel and go slow, but chainsaws have never had carbs that can hold a correct mixture (either lean or rich) until now. To me an engine that is blubbering and misfiring ("4 stroking") is broken and needs to be fixed, but no, they actually make them that way! I would not put up with a misfiring engine on anything else and would take such a defective piece of junk back, but with saws there has not been any alternative.

The EPA did not require lean mixtures that score cylinders, limiter caps, cat mufflers or any of that happy horsecrap. It is just a performance test, with the requirement that you show that the stuff you actually produce will perform as the examples you submitted for testing did. How you meet those limits is up to the manufacturer, and all of that fine "engineering" was brought to you by the manufacturers. In fact it's not even that severe of an emissions limit; they're really only trying to keep raw fuel from puking out the exhaust.

The whole 4-stroking rich mixture misfire is not something that was designed into chainsaws to protect them, it is an unfortunate consequence of making an all-position carb (they removed a feature found in all other carbs). So what if they misfired? Heck, fuel was cheap, and why spend any more on a better carb? It became an easy way to set the mixture by listening for it, but it could have been done other ways.

It still irritates me that they're only putting AT/MT feedback carbs on the high end saws. I mean, it's a cheap solenoid valve, a connector, some wire and maybe a temp sensor and switch, plus a cheap micro and a few other electronics that can be packaged in with the electronic ignition that would be there anyway. Compare this to the electronic systems in so much other stuff and it's really not much - they should be putting at least a simplified version on every homeowner Poulan by now.

Stihl has a great system Chris. They made it simple. The same solenoid fits every M/T carb......and is almost always the problem. It's like 25 bucks, and the user can do the reset himself. Huskys system is over complicated, and must be plugged in to do a reset. I can fix a Husky.....and when the temp swings wildly........the problem sometimes returns. :(

Not bashing here........just telling the truth.

Latest posts

Back