Wood ID Referance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any thoughts?

attachment.php

I'll try to get a picture uploaded. Might take a few posts. EDIT --> Finally, I did it!

I just bought an MS390, upgrade (addition to) from ms210. I'm enjoying your site, especially about milling, etc.

I can now cut the bigger stuff and have access to two cords of this stuff. The bigger pieces are 28" around. It gives my woodsplitter a workout, but it seems like a solid wood. Grown in Idaho.

Any good for Firewood?

View attachment 106544

Also, Does anyone have a picture of old growth poplar? I heard it's one to avoid, but I don't know what to avoid.

Last edited:
Chestnut Oak

Here is a chestnut oak we just cut down in Connecticut. It smells very fragrant, like a good smoky BBQ.

attachment.php

I'll try to get a picture uploaded. Might take a few posts. EDIT --> Finally, I did it!

I just bought an MS390, upgrade (addition to) from ms210. I'm enjoying your site, especially about milling, etc.

I can now cut the bigger stuff and have access to two cords of this stuff. The bigger pieces are 28" around. It gives my woodsplitter a workout, but it seems like a solid wood. Grown in Idaho.

Any good for Firewood?

View attachment 106544

Also, Does anyone have a picture of old growth poplar? I heard it's one to avoid, but I don't know what to avoid.

Looks like some punky silver maple.

+1 on the silver maple.

Uh Oh.... Two to one. I'll have to go with the maple, I guess. I'm already planning out my daughters "treasure chest" using an old post office box door with combo lock. I guess the maple will do, but I was excited about the strength figures on the oak. Thanks for the input.

Is "punky" a technical term? Or slang meaning old? weathered? mildewed?

I like the thread. It's funny how local names and terms can get us going. For an Eagle Scout project, for my son, I recommended an Oak Tree Path. I might still do it even though he chose a different project. We have a 99 year lease on a 40 acre property called Winding Trails. I was going to line one of the paths with different Oaks that are not local to us. We have a local landscaper who volunteered to be our forester and got the job. He realy liked the idea and told me he had lots of the really rare Saw Toothed Oaks on his place and we could transplant some. Where we live in Western Maryland one of the most common oaks is the Chestnut Oak, probably our #1 source of fire wood. Low and behold that's what he was calling the rare Saw Toothed Oak. He's a good guy and I don't want to crack on him too hard, it just shows what a grass cutter knows about trees. We have a new forester that's a Surveyor by trade with a degree in forestry, Joe.

Here's a shot of a chunk of Ironwood (Eastern Hophornbeam) that I cut today, sorry no leaf picture handy. Tight grained, ranging from fairly straight to very curly. It normally takes a full stroke of the splitter to separate it, kinda stringy.

072.JPG

Maybe it's just me but the picture below the Ironwood cross cut looks like Shag Bark Hickory to me. Least, that's what it looks like around here.

I would have said shagbark Hickory on the bark pic of "ironwood," also.

Our ironwood has smooth bark. Similar to the texture of American Beech.

Ok what is this? I'm thinking white oak. It has pinkish red lines in it that get darker the closer to the heart of the wood.

DSCF0321.jpg

DSCF0319.jpg

Anyone have pic of poplar? I have some in my pile that I was told was poplar. But not real sure. It is covered with snow right now or I would get a pic of it.

Stihl's Ironwood is not like any ironwood i've seen. Looks more like a red maple. Ironwood (Carpinus caroliniana) has smooth bark and the trunk is "muscley" looking. I don't think it's shagbark because the bark shingles are too coarse looking. Shagbark has a smooth look to the shingles.

Link to ironwood.

https://facultystaff.richmond.edu/~jhayden/landscape_plants/summer_woody_plants/carpinus_caroliniana_LGBG_03s.JPG

This website has alot of good pics of many different trees.

I have to agree with you on that one but I cant get it to the post to check the image. I had cut and paste a bunch of crap in doing this and I bed I mix one up. Sadly unfixable now.

Back