Wood ID Referance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im thinkin this is a type of hickory??

001-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

Lots of white and pin oak as well as some shagbark growing around it.

Last edited:
Yep...pignut. Sound like a BTU shmorgasborg(sp?).

Yeah Got lots of big old growth...Pignut you see, Shagbark, Red White and Pin oak, some ash and silver maple mixed in. This is all at my parents place.

I for one would like to see some more good pictures of ironwood to confirm what it looks like. Leaves would be nice also if anyone could. Pictures of some hedge would be nice also.

Last edited:
I for one would like to see some more good pictures of ironwood to confirm what it looks like. Leaves would be nice also if anyone could. Pictures of some hedge would be nice also.

As long as the ironwood you're referring to is Eastern Hophornbeam, I'll hook ya up this weekend sometime. I got a brand shiny new camera to try out, 14MP! and an 8x zoom. Ironwood leaf pics can be had year round, as long as you don't mind them being brown. They hang onto their leaves tighter than any oak. I swear the new growth leaves have to push the old ones off the branch come spring.

I can't seem to upload from my phone. Can I email these 3 shots to some one to post for ME?
Any help would be appreciated,
S. John McAllister
If not I'll post them when I get home tomorrow.

Last edited:
I can't seem to upload from my phone. Can I email these 3 shots to some one to post for ME?
Any help would be appreciated,
S. John McAllister
If not I'll post them when I get home tomorrow.

PM sent. There are times I'd like to upload from the phone as well.

Hard to tell from those pics give some characteristics color, weight ,smell, how hard to cut ,how hard to split weight etc

I will split some tomorrow. I think the wood seems a little stringy. Maybe light tan color. I'll post some more pics after I split some. Oh yeah, I'll also take a couple of good sniffs and see if I can try to see what it smells like....
Warm regards,
S. John McAllister

Last edited:
No distinct odor, light tan to gray color. This wood is splitting on it's own. I can pull a lot of it apart with my hands. Not heavy like oak, but not light either. The bark is coming off in sheets. Sure hope it is worthwhile. I'm goin to burn some and see what's what.
S. John NcAllister

No distinct odor, light tan to gray color. This wood is splitting on it's own. I can pull a lot of it apart with my hands. Not heavy like oak, but not light either. The bark is coming off in sheets. Sure hope it is worthwhile. I'm goin to burn some and see what's what.
S. John NcAllister

Sounding like maple need to see the grain.

Ok finally had a chance to take some more pics. Notice how it is breaking up on it's own in one pic? Well hope this helps to ID it.
Warm regards,
S. John McAllister

Back