Wood ID Referance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everything I read about sweet gum indicates that it is hard to split. This stuff is very easy to split. Still not sure what to think.....?
warm regards.
S. John McAllister

I found a tree yesterday that looks close to the wood I've been trying to ID. Tell me what you all think? Some kind of nut tree?
Warm regards,
S. John McAllister

That is hickory no doubt. If your wood looks like that than its the same ,do a smell test when burned it should smell good like smoked meat does.

I think your right" We call that a spig nut tree around here, witch is a type of hickory. I think some people call it a pig nut, or maybe i cant speak English. LOL!!!

Anyone care to take a guess at this one? I didn't see anything similar posted yet. I'm in Southern MN if that helps.

I want to cut it down this winter but I'm just not sure if it's worth making into firewood.

Thanks!

guess we can add these to the list

Hi,
I have a few trees that are on the chopping block and wonder if I could get an opinion on what they are and if they would be worth the trouble to take down and use for firewood.
There are 4 trees total. Trees 1 and 2 seem to be the same (ELM?) and 3 and 4 are also a pair (Oak?),
1-2 have been dead about a year so they a gonna be toast 1 way or another.:chainsawguy:

Last edited:
Hi,
I have a few trees that are on the chopping block and wonder if I could get an opinion on what they are and if they would be worth the trouble to take down and use for firewood.
There are 4 trees total. Trees 1 and 2 seem to be the same (ELM?) and 3 and 4 are also a pair (Oak?),
1-2 have been dead about a year so they a gonna be toast 1 way or another.:chainsawguy:

1 and 2 need better pictures ,3 and 4 look like maple.

Ok thanks, i'll grab a couple more pic's of tree's 1 and 2.

Maple should be worth the time for those are some pretty large trees. I just have to take em down with a bucket or boom since we dont have much room to work with.

How about this stuff? It splits oddly like a zigzag.
The piece it is laying on shows the bark and the piece behind it shows how it is a little stringy. Got a bunch I split and stacked a year ago, seems to burn good, other wood like white oak processed at the same time isn't ready yet...

How about this stuff? It splits oddly like a zigzag.
The piece it is laying on shows the bark and the piece behind it shows how it is a little stringy. Got a bunch I split and stacked a year ago, seems to burn good, other wood like white oak processed at the same time isn't ready yet...

Might be sycamore or gum need more to go on but I am suspecting it is gumwood.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Thanks,
Unfortunately I don't have any more to go on...due to being split a year ago and having CRS I'm not sure what it looked like before being cut, I do know I didn't cut it down.
I've pretty much been gathering blowdowns or leftovers from a logging op around me. The few trees I have dropped we figured out what they were first, oaks, a gum and poplar. Land is near the SC NC border above Spartanburg if that helps...

1 and 2 need better pictures ,3 and 4 look like maple.

lol might be a few days before i can snap any close up's
you guy's up north will prolly laugh but we got a nice snow storm moving in.

believe it or not, its not even dark out in this pic :hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back