Wood ID Referance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This one's a big'un (42" cross section) I bucked up in Spring.

1_04_04_09_6_22_19.jpeg

There are additional pics in my gallery:

http://www.stovenet.com/index.php?action=gallery;cat=6

That looks like an ash tree to me

I would have said shagbark Hickory on the bark pic of "ironwood," also.

Our ironwood has smooth bark. Similar to the texture of American Beech.

"Ironwood" is used to describe several different tree's. Steve is right, what he has is Eastern Hophornbeam. The Ironwood your thinking about with smooth, muscley bark is American Hornbeam.

+2 - That's White Ash

Olddirty - The very first picture you posted I'm 99% certain that is Black Oak. As someone else mentioned the bark is not consistent with Red Oak. The wood looks similar but the bark is very distinct.

I hate to burst all your bubbles, but it's a yellow poplar, just like I said. I cut the thing up, and I'm burning it right now, and trust me, it's NOT an ash.

I'll have to second that. From the looks of the grain and the bark, def. poplar. Bucked and split enough of those big boys that looked just like that over the past 20 years.:givebeer:

Any ideas here? Planning on milling these bigger ones, but have quite a few smaller logs to burn.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Last edited:
The hickory kind of throws me off. the bark looks alot more like a white oak, than a shag bark hickory.
Harold46

It's a maple but I'm not sure which type. I have several of those

yall have some different trees than what we have in texas (at least my part of texas) all we have are live oak, post oak, mesquite, and pecan. along with some trash wood.

I hate to burst all your bubbles, but it's a yellow poplar, just like I said. I cut the thing up, and I'm burning it right now, and trust me, it's NOT an ash.

I think the bark on ash and poplar look allot alike. I cant tell without looking at the leaves. If you say its poplar its poplar to me. I have a chance to cut some poplar at a friends farm. Dose it burn good???

I think the bark on ash and poplar look allot alike. I cant tell without looking at the leaves. If you say its poplar its poplar to me. I have a chance to cut some poplar at a friends farm. Dose it burn good???

Sure....if you can get through splitting it without killing yourself...its my LEAST favorite wood to split, if I start splitting into it (thinking it was ash) i will just toss the rest of the tree...I cant stand the stuff...

Edit...I was thinking Tulip Poplar when I typed this...sorry for the brain fart...:dizzy:

Last edited:
Here's a couple pics of my buddy cutting some valley oak we've been working on at my neighbors
wash056.jpg

wash055.jpg

thats definitely poplar, the inside just doesnt look like ash, how many days has that been laying there? after a day or 2 outside the greenish inside circle turns to brown like the one in that picture, the bark on the big poplar trees look just like ash, the upper limbs look totally different though, that is my experience with the 2, i say that is 100% poplar
poplar isnt very good firewood, it cuts like butter though

Any ideas here? Planning on milling these bigger ones, but have quite a few smaller logs to burn.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

looks like some maple i took out of a guys house last week, he said it was sugar maple, i didnt know either way, but it was heavier than hell

Back