Wood ID Referance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tough one dry wood is harder maybe a pic of the grain would help

the top set of pictures are of different tree i cut but same area... the bottom two go togather and it was for sure dryer..i posted another picture closer up of the bottome pictures.

Might be sycamore or gum need more to go on but I am suspecting it is gumwood.
attachment.php

definitely NOT SYCAMORE.

Bur Oak

Posted these on a separate thread and consensus was Bur Oak.
attachment.php

Bur Oak's bark is dark gray, thick and so deeply furrowed that it breaks into distinct ridges.
attachment.php

Relatively easy to split
attachment.php

Posted these on a separate thread and consensus was Bur Oak.
attachment.php

Bur Oak's bark is dark gray, thick and so deeply furrowed that it breaks into distinct ridges.
attachment.php

Relatively easy to split
attachment.php

Definitely some kinda oak! pokes the crap out of ya once u start handling after split!

alright wood guru's. I cut this tree up for a friend today, cut like a hardwood, but it is nothing I have been around. I live in the central kansas area. What is this?

woodid001.jpg

woodid002.jpg

woodid003.jpg

im goin with locust, it always seems to grow very weird rings like this pic
woodid001.jpg

osage orange is almost flourescent yellow when split open fresh like that

It's not hedge (osage orange) I cut that all the time, this bark is way too course, and the color is actually a yellow/green with some black rings in it.

It's not hedge (osage orange) I cut that all the time, this bark is way too course, and the color is actually a yellow/green with some black rings in it.

Its a type of locust i believe not like the average stuff ive ran in to it to but it has short thorn in stead of the long ones right?

Back