Wood ID Referance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New to This

Wow...this looks very close to what I've got of which I thought was Red Elm...how do I tell the difference?

Thanks

Reggie
Sassafras

attachment.php

attachment.php

Its a softwood not desired by most but will burn. good for cool summer nights in the firepit or fall but not full blown winter wood.

sassafras has a very distinct smell
you cant confuse it for any other wood
the smell is overwhelming
if there was a trailer load of sassafras in front of you on the highway, youd smell it

Is it light? or heavy? I see two different types of splits also...

It is medium weight. Originally thought it may have been some kind of oak, but looking at the pictures of Sasafras it has a similar looking bark. It was combined in a load of silver maple and cherry.

It is medium weight. Originally thought it may have been some kind of oak, but looking at the pictures of Sasafras it has a similar looking bark. It was combined in a load of silver maple and cherry.

Split it and smell it... There will be no mistaking Sassafras. Got a smell all it's own...

Had five loads of these dropped off. Real nice local guy gives me all of his soft wood and loads me up with chips. I'm thinking poplar? It had a real powerful smell for a couple of days after it was dropped off too.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Had five loads of these dropped off. Real nice local guy gives me all of his soft wood and loads me up with chips. I'm thinking poplar? It had a real powerful smell for a couple of days after it was dropped off too.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Looks like Birch to me ... NOT a softwood, good firewood!

Edit: Looking in the Audubon Society field guide to Trees, Eastern Region ... kinda looks like Hackberry.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back