Wood ID Referance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is a Butternut in the Hickory family? Jere? You got any of those around you?

I think you meant "Bitternut" and I think that's exactly what it is.

Edit: I see now Butternut too, and it like the other hickory's are in the walnut family.

This hickory that I cut still had a few green leaves on it so I will get a pic or two of those also.

Last edited:
I think you meant "Bitternut" and I think that's exactly what it is.

Actually, there is both... Bitternut "Pignut" Hickory / And Butternut... But I think Butternut is closer related to a walnut than a Hickory... You're probably right about it being a Bitternut hickory, but the ones I've seen around here don't have as nice of a grain as the sample. Of course growing conditions effect that a ton...:msp_confused:

Is a Butternut in the Hickory family? Jere? You got any of those around you?

Around here people do call Butternut a Hickory, in fact they typically, they call it "Butternut Hickory". As opposed to "Shagbark Hickory". There was enough bark left on this particular tree to rule out Shagbark. Because it was long dead there are no nuts around, and I am not sure I would distinguish between Mockernut and Butternut Hickory nuts. Looking at the fruit/nuts on other Hickory in the area, I'd say I have the rounder Mockernut vs the tipped Pignut. And, most places I've searched on the internet reference Bitternut instead of Butternut Hickory. So, I have zero confidence in distinguishing among the hickory except it is not a shagbark. All that said, I've found several good reference pictures of hickory splits on the internet and they look very much like my wood.

I appreciate all the contributions to my search.

Around here people do call Butternut a Hickory, in fact they typically, they call it "Butternut Hickory". As opposed to "Shag bark Hickory". And, most places I've searched on the INTERNET reference Bitternut instead of Butternut Hickory.

Amazing the number and type of names the same tree is given in different parts of the country. Around me, it's usually called Bitternut Hickory(Carya cordiformis). The Butternut(Juglans cinerea) tree(also known as white walnut) around here is the one related to the Black Walnut(Juglans nigra).

Amazing the number and type of names the same tree is given in different parts of the country. Around me, it's usually called Bitternut Hickory(Carya cordiformis). The Butternut(Juglans cinerea) tree(also known as white walnut) around here is the one related to the Black Walnut(Juglans nigra).

You are correct... The butternut is its own tree...
Not a hickory...

Hey guys, I usually think I'm pretty smart about wood id, but I stump myself occasionally. I cut from the dead wood that has either been storm damaged, or just died for unknown reasons. 90% of my haul is red oak. Splits nice, very straight grain, good heat, looks pretty in the pile for customers. I have a few beech, birch, cherry, and hickory around, and take them when I can.

But, I found this old dead tree standing not far into the woods. About 20" across, about 50' tall, no branches any longer, almost no bark, but still solid. When you smack two pieces together it rings like hitting a pair of baseball bats together (might be a hint). It is very straight grained, but the grain hangs on tough. Makes splitting by hand kind of a pain. I like the red oak that just pops apart when you hit it right with the x27.

So, take a look and let me know what you think. What little bark that is left hanging suggest not a shag bark.

That's my assistant there about to throw a shoulder into the Peavey Cant Hook. We both carry our own weight in this mini-operation
256651d1349895453-peavey-jpg

256652d1349895457-h1-jpg

256653d1349895461-h3-jpg

256654d1349895465-h5-jpg

Thanks, and sorry the pictures are so big and iPhone like
View attachment 256651
View attachment 256652
View attachment 256653
View attachment 256654

IMHO I would have to say a locust tree of some sort. I have cut black and green. The bark says black oak or chocolate locust if there is such a tree. The grain screams locust or hickory. Try a cut on it just after dark and see if you get sparks off the chain just into and under the bark. If so I would have to go with locust. It could be black oak and it will do the same in wind blown areas near fields witch you don't have there. The grain and hardness just screams locust. I cut one down two years ago. It was long dead, five or more years, no bark and still a standing pole next to the road. It killed a chain like nothing I ever cut before besides big 3ft+ old gnarly green locust, nasty stuff! It has to be some form of locust tree. Locust fence post more than a hundred years old still stand all over this country and in others. I've seen rock solid 60+ year old ones around Southern New Jersey, tough stuff.

Thanks, there are a few Black Locust here on my property, but all along the road or edge of the woods, none growing in the woods. I've cut tons of locust. My Dad still heats his house with Black Locust wood exclusively. I help him cut at his small farm in Lancaster County. And you are right about it grinding up chain.

This particular tree was not Locust, but it did really dull my chain fast. I am pretty settled on a Hickory, and based on the live Hickory around this area, I am guessing Mockernut, not Bitternut or Shagbark.

When I still lived at home, we managed Green Houses on the farm and used Locust to heat the green houses and as posts and poles in the construction of the green houses. My Grandfather used to say when we built a fence with Locust posts to lay a stone on a corner post. When the stone wears out we would have to start cutting new Locust posts to replace the old ones.

Mockernut is a new one for me. Did you find any info on it? Some pics from a reputable source would be nice. I wounder if the one I cut down is the same type of tree? Saved some of the splits from it and they are on the ground with leaves in the woods, exposed to weather, wind and sun but still in rock solid condition. The wood looks just like the stuff you have there so I don't think mine is Hickory.

I did a little studying on that Mockernut and found no photos of the wood itself. With that said they do seem to hybridize occasionally in the wild. If it did then nailing it down to this type will be pretty hard to do. Looks like wood borers have had some time on that tree and may have been started on it's demise by sap suckers in a drought year.

Last edited:
Mockernut is a new one for me. Did you find any info on it? Some pics from a reputable source would be nice. I wounder if the one I cut down is the same type of tree? Saved some of the splits from it and they are on the ground with leaves in the woods, exposed to weather, wind and sun but still in rock solid condition. The wood looks just like the stuff you have there so I don't think mine is Hickory.

Are you talking about Black Locust or Black Walnut? Apples and Oranges to me.

Mockernut Hickory: Mockernut Hickory
Bitternut Hickory: Bitternut Hickory
Black Locust: Black Locust
Black Walnut: Black Walnut

So, I am still not sure which Hickory I cut, you might get an idea for your Hickory from the two listings. Not much difference, definitely not Shagbark.

Thanks for assisting in my quest.

Mockernut Hickory: Mockernut Hickory
Bitternut Hickory: Bitternut Hickory
Black Locust: Black Locust
Black Walnut: Black Walnut

So, I am still not sure which Hickory I cut, you might get an idea for your Hickory from the two listings. Not much difference, definitely not Shagbark.

Thanks for assisting in my quest.

Well this explains the wood I have that I can't split with my maul or my 10 ton splitter, i read all the info and what I have is Black Locust :) I just hope it burns as good as it was hard to cut and split

Well this explains the wood I have that I can't split with my maul or my 10 ton splitter, i read all the info and what I have is Black Locust :) I just hope it burns as good as it was hard to cut and split

Should burn great. Tough on chain, especially as soon as the chain gets a little dull, then it just rounds the edges. But Black Locust is great over night burn stuff.

Just curious

Anyone know what this is? Got about six cords free dropped off at my property, just got done splitting it

I almost wanna say Bradford Pear, we have THOUSANDS of those here in Va beach because of one of our mayors and they break off every time a storm passes through.

Can I change my answer again??? :laugh:

Bradford pear would also be a good possibility. The end grain pic shows the color more yellow than the split pics. Maybe the flash made the split pics a little washed out?

Here's a bark pic for Bradford Pear:
Bark PIC

And here's a wood pic:
Wood PIC

Latest posts

Back