wood stove input

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cliniford

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
We are shopping for a new wood stove and could use some help deciding. We have narrowed it down to a Regency F1100 or a Pacific Vista. Anybody have any pros or cons for either of these. Oh and our house is 1100sqft, very well insulated with primary heat being propane. We are trying to switch over to wood as a primary and leaving the propane as a backup.

We are shopping for a new wood stove and could use some help deciding. We have narrowed it down to a Regency F1100 or a Pacific Vista. Anybody have any pros or cons for either of these. Oh and our house is 1100sqft, very well insulated with primary heat being propane. We are trying to switch over to wood as a primary and leaving the propane as a backup.

This site may help you decide!
http://**********/ratings/search.php
The PE stoves have very few poor ratings!

Some experience with Regency 1100s

We have two of the Regency 1100 stoves. One is twenty years old, lights and drafts very easily, and is very basic. The other, more recently purchased, is equipped with all options, ash cleanout, blower, heat shields.

The older, basic stove is mostly radiant and sits in the open, the latter stove with it's heat shields and blower is much more convective and sits in a old fireplace alcove originally designed for cooking and clothes washing.

Obviously we have had good experience with the stove.

The wood has to cut small, 16 inches is great, 18 inch wood requires working through the door.

Like any small stove that is always run hot, you do not have many chimney problems. These stoves, to our experience, are absolutely reliable and burn anything, even less than dry wood. They do not have catalysts and smoke only briefly on firing up. They are easy to take apart and clean. The air inlet is right in front of the glass, so you always have a beautiful flame to look at.

Gripes: On the last purchased unit the door is priced separately, the fire box is still small and will not hold a fire over night, and if you shut off the air supply to limit the burn, the glass in the door will smoke up. The door is easy to clean with oven cleaner, but still an irritation.

Our radiant model is in a 700 square foot glorified fishing shack, the later one heats a 1300 square foot two store renovated log farmhouse, both are very well insulated. Both are pedestal models using outside air.

Good dealers to work with both times.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Stoves

The only advice I can give is that if you are building a new house I would advise getting the Fireplace Xtrodinaire's FPX 36 or 44. They are built in a chase. You can also get the FPX 33 that goes in an existing fireplace. In the Wick building, where I have a 1800 square foot apt./shop I have a good old Buckstove (regular) God Bless my Dad, who was a Buckstove dealer in PA.

Pacific Vista gets my vote , I have the Pacific Insert and love it , what is the price difference between the 2 ?

Difference

I can't tell you as I'm not knowedgeable about the Pacific Vista. The FPX's are made by Travis Industry. We have a 1662 sq. ft. house and about the same in the basement. I had a FPX put up stairs and one in the basement which is finshed off and they share the same chimney area although each has it's own stack. The chimney's are vented. All I know is that unless it drops below zero the one in the basement carries the house. They come as a unit and the contractor installed them. I like them becasue if you want to use them as a fireplace with screen you can do it. If you want to pump out super heat, close the door, kick in the catalyst and let it go. At night pack it full of oak or hedge, get the cat hot, close the damper. Next morning open it, put in wood and she start up with no problem. I vary the wood: Oak, hedge, red elm, piss elm, yellow elm, and locust. I love burning locust because all they are here in MO is weeds with thorns. I can't tell you about the insert they make but if it is like the 36 it should be good.

Hello,
I just recently moved from my last house where I had a Regency Hearthstove. I also had a free standing Regency woodstove in my workshop. it was medium size (on legs) and I don't remember the number without going to the website and looking it up !!! They both worked great and we had no problems what so ever with either of them. The firebox in the Hearthstove was a little small and did not hold a big fire over night but it would crank out the heat when you could feed it !!! The other woodstove had a much bigger firebox and also cranked out the heat. I was happy with both !!!

Henry and Wanda

We decided on the regency f1100. It costs about $400 more than the pacific but it gets great reviews and seems a bit better built.

I have a Regency 3100 and I love it. Much bigger than your 1100. I bought the floor display, got the 3100 with a blower (makes a big difference), ash drawer (which is AWESOME) and the fancy gold colored feet and hardware (which I couldn't care less about,it's in the basement) for the same price as a base 2100. I felt the 1100 would be a little too small, not quite enough for my 1300 foot house. But, it depends on the layout of your house. Mine is pretty sprawled out, so the smaller stove would not have cut it.

The Regency burns very cleanly, typical initial smokiness. Mine has their "Flame wash" system that supposedly keeps the glass clean. It doesn't really work all that well, but the glass is easy to clean with a damp paper towel. I picked this one partly due to the reputation of the stove and my local dealer. It also has a good sized flat top that I can cook on if we lose power.

Back