Woodshed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok your shed is 18' x 21' take out 10' x 10' for the owb leaves you with a 8' x 11' space and stack 6' high comes out to 4.12 cords as per the cord calculator here http://www.state.me.us/ag/firewood.html

21'x18' = 378sqf
378sqf - 100sqf = 278sqf (10x10=100)
278sqf x 6' stack = 1668 cubic feet
1 cord = 128 cf
1668cf / 128 = 13.03 cords

You took 10' off each dimension. If the exclusion doesn't run full width and/or depth you have to subtract is as square footage, not from the footprint.

21'x18' = 378sqf
378sqf - 100sqf = 278sqf (10x10=100)
278sqf x 6' stack = 1668 cubic feet
1 cord = 128 cf
1668cf / 128 = 13.03 cords

You took 10' off each dimension. If the exclusion doesn't run full width and/or depth you have to subtract is as square footage, not from the footprint.

This is how I figured it's capacity.
:agree2:

Yes I now see my obvious mistake. Take a 18' x 21' floor space and take out a 10' x 10' space would leave you with 2 area's a 11' x 18' x 6' space = 9.28 cord and a 10' x 8' x 6' space = 3.75 cord totals 13.03 cord.
But I still think it would be tough to squeeze 10 cord in there, you would have no place to walk. But yes it could be done.

Last edited:
I need to run my chimney through the roof of my new shed. Do I need it to be as high as the peak of the roof or just through the roof a foot or two. I have a Woodmaster with a forced air fan. I kind of understand the draft you need for the woodstoves and such but didn't know if it was as important for a OWB with a fan. Thanks for the help guys. :yourock:

I don't remember the figures but chimneys have to be ?3? ft above any obstruction (roof peak) that is within a certain distance. That is to eliminate down drafts from "burbled' air coming over the obstruction. It should also be a couple feet above a flat, unobstructed roof. At least that is the requirement for a residence - don't know about a woodshed. I would think that your chimney supplier or OWB company would have the figures.

Harry K

Chimney height

jcappe:

Nice looking set-up, how far from your house is the shed?

I haven't heated with wood for several years, and I don't have an OWB, but I looked at the specs I had when I put in a wood stove:

"On pitched roofs, chimneys should be two feet higher than any point within ten feet, to prevent downdrafts caused by wind being deflected from the roof". (Northeast Regional Agricultural Engineering Service, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY)

You mentioned you have a forced air fan, but is there a situation where you could have a fire in the firebox without the fan running? It seems like with your installation, the higher the better.

Hope this helps.

jcappe:

Nice looking set-up, how far from your house is the shed?

I haven't heated with wood for several years, and I don't have an OWB, but I looked at the specs I had when I put in a wood stove:

"On pitched roofs, chimneys should be two feet higher than any point within ten feet, to prevent downdrafts caused by wind being deflected from the roof". (Northeast Regional Agricultural Engineering Service, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY)

You mentioned you have a forced air fan, but is there a situation where you could have a fire in the firebox without the fan running? It seems like with your installation, the higher the better.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the input. The shed and OWB are 100' from the house.

I talked with a guy from Woodmaster and he told me to just put the pipe through the roof. Height, Peak, wind it didn't matter. The only thing he said was to make sure and use insulated pipe or it would mess up the stove. I didn't ask the details as I was planning on using what is currently on the stove from them which is stainless insulated. Thanks for the help guys. I figured I would have to go past the peak myself but wasn't sure.

Latest posts

Back