Woodsman Portable Sawmill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Krusty I don't know what part of Idaho you are in but there's an outfit in Spokane MSG industries that has a nice little band mill in 7K range. I am doing same as you, post and beam house and bought one of these.I am very pleased with it. They are located by the airport, small mom and pop shop.Might want to take a tour if your in north idaho. It also is known as Spokane mini mill.

Ted,

If you don't "mess" with the logs, your just not going to get the best grade or recovery out of them... The log HAS to come apart as the grade alows, not just lay there and be sliced... Perhaps you don't care that by turning a log you can go from lumber full of knots, to clear lumber??? Just by turning the cant!

Having a thinner kerf means MORE lumber from the log... Being lazy like you say you are, you should like that! That means you will have LESS logs to "muscle" onto your mill, and it means less sawdust to deal with later... And, if you ever decide to take some Geritol to get more energy, you can sell that 5th board that was FREE, from using a bandmill... HA HA HA

BTW, my slabs get cut into 4' lengths, and when i have a 4x4x4 stack, it gets burned in the wood stove in the shop, OR the half cord gets set by the road and is "sold:". (read FREE money)

As for making a 24x24 beam.... If i want, i can make one in 4 passes.... How many passes will you have to make??? How much EXTRA work will that be for a lazy guy????

Yes you will have to assembly your LM2000, it takes about one day... When it's done, you will know how the mill goes together, and you will know how to repair anything that could ever go wrong with it. And most importantly, you will know how to adjust and maintain you mill. Isn't that a "good" thing??

Rob

I know what your saying Rob and your probably right as I have nothing to reference anything to, as I don't have a sawmill or the personal experience to go by, like you have. Up until about 3 weeks ago I was set on buying a Cook's sawmill unless, I got a real good deal on a used unit. I've even thought about a Timber Harvester that's for sale up in the NE that I would consider, but taking off of work to transport it home is a problem. I also like the Peterson $wingmill, and they are very proud of them too!!

I'm not at that point to where I can buy yet, (I'm waiting for the sale of the motorcycle to go through, for that extra boost in cash before completing a transaction on a sawmill).

So, I'm still testing the waters and I'm taking in everything that you have pointed out, it's not falling on deaf ears, I'm listening to ya Rob! I just happen to trip into Krusty's thread and still really undecided on what I want.....:biggrinbounce2: these discussions are helpful! Thanks,

Ted

Oh I was going to mention that I'm even interested in the Lumbersmith. It's gotta be the cheapest I've found... for less than $1500

Last edited:
Ted,

Looking at the different mills in your price range, and asking the "owners" of those mills questions, IS the right way to go about it... Once you get it down to the last two or three mills that you like, try to go see them in person and saw on them...

I go to the sawmill expo's to look over and try to saw on as many mills that i can. It's amazing to me to see how poorly some mills are made and folks buy them anyway! Every show that i go to, there are mills there that even the FACTORY PEOPLE can't get to saw. Amazing!!!

Anyway, it looks like your on the right path...

Rob

Ted,

Looking at the different mills in your price range, and asking the "owners" of those mills questions, IS the right way to go about it... Once you get it down to the last two or three mills that you like, try to go see them in person and saw on them...

I go to the sawmill expo's to look over and try to saw on as many mills that i can. It's amazing to me to see how poorly some mills are made and folks buy them anyway! Every show that i go to, there are mills there that even the FACTORY PEOPLE can't get to saw. Amazing!!!

Rob

+1

http://www.sawmillexchange.com/
Near the top left side you'll find...
"Click here for: Links to Portable Sawmill Manufacturers"

For the PNW you just missed this one.
http://www.oregonloggingconference.com/

A little bit more on the 'Woodsman Portable Sawmill' , have the DVD coming and may have to make a trip to see it work hopefully within a month or two, their shop is located in Burns, OR
Currently approx. 90 days out although may change daily.
$5K depoist to help cover materials to get on list to have one built.

Minius trailer $8,500 if one would like to build there own or make own track system.

Ted,

Rob

I have never seen a sawmill expo in the Houston area, I think were too spread out around here for the sawmill folk to bother with.. IMO.... you guys up north can travel 100 miles and cross three state lines. 100 miles to me is the other side of town......:dizzy:

Ted
Oh .. M.R., thanks for the extra info. Share more if you can please!

you guys up north can travel 100 miles and cross three state lines. 100 miles to me is the other side of town......Ted

I can mill in a 100-mile radius and not leave the county. When I went back to pa to get my mill I went thru four counties in less distance that it takes to go to town.
What I found kinda strange back there was the way they did roadwork. You go thru a mile of construction with no signs or flaggers and then a mile down the road you come to the flaggers and the signs out there all by there little old lonesome. Kinda made me wonder if the sawyers out there were starting at the wrong end of the log with the saw on backwards.:confused: :dizzy:

I have never seen a sawmill expo in the Houston area, I think were too spread out around here for the sawmill folk to bother with.. IMO.... you guys up north can travel 100 miles and cross three state lines. 100 miles to me is the other side of town......:dizzy:

Ted
Oh .. M.R., thanks for the extra info. Share more if you can please!

If i travel 100 miles here, i won't even be near the state line, even 200 miles won't get me there... When i lived in Alaska, i'd travel 800 miles just to go hunting and not be near the state line...

Anyway, the next sawmill expo is in may, and it's in West Virginia... I plan to be there...

Rob

I email a gentleman about a sawmill he has for sale for $2500, any opinions?
It needs work..... and I don't think I need another project now!!

Ted
3327425205_edcb52ff6f.jpg

3327425209_a5f69938bb.jpg

3327425211_63123cfd8d.jpg

3327425213_82a9471131.jpg

Last edited:
I email a gentleman about a sawmill he has for sale for $2500, any opinions?
It needs work..... and I don't think I need another project now!!

Ted

Yep, that look's like a project. But it look's like a fun project.
It would be a killer turning logs that were very big on that mill, and it looks to be a little under powered. But like I said, it look's like a fun project.

Andy

Yep, that look's like a project. But it look's like a fun project.
It would be a killer turning logs that were very big on that mill, and it looks to be a little under powered. But like I said, it look's like a fun project.

Andy

It may look like a fun project Andy, but probably not a mill to start out on.

Ted

Made the trip

The best part of the trip was the drive, a little under 500 miles round trip. I went prepared to put down a deposit if they checked out. After seeing their DVD and website, I was shocked to see the actual operation. The best way to describe it would be a shade tree operation in the dead of winter. It was run very unprofessionally, what little there was. These are built without a blueprint, or even a sketch on a piece of scrap paper. The oldest employee had been there six months. The mills are mostly built from photos. Workmanship leaves a lot of room for improvement. Needless to say, I left after three and a half hours without leaving a deposit or order.

The video really made this mill. There was probably more spent on it than the operation. If you are interested in a mill, do your homework well.

The best part of the trip was the drive, a little under 500 miles round trip. I went prepared to put down a deposit if they checked out. After seeing their DVD and website, I was shocked to see the actual operation. The best way to describe it would be a shade tree operation in the dead of winter. It was run very unprofessionally, what little there was. These are built without a blueprint, or even a sketch on a piece of scrap paper. The oldest employee had been there six months. The mills are mostly built from photos. Workmanship leaves a lot of room for improvement. Needless to say, I left after three and a half hours without leaving a deposit or order.

The video really made this mill. There was probably more spent on it than the operation. If you are interested in a mill, do your homework well.

That's a bad thing to hear. Did you or could you take any pics?

Well, that's a bummer, thanks for making the trip and updating the thread with your findings. I know I appreciate it!!!

On another note, I sold the bike a few weeks ago, even though I wasn't actively trying. So i'm kinda looking right now in the 7K+ range, and the longer I wait the more I could add to the kitty, so we'll see.
I saw a couple of Norwood Lumbermates on the exchange that look promising, but the distance driving up to the "old country" (Ohio & MN), is not possible with my job.

Just gotta keep lookin'

Ted

Ted,
You can buy a NEW Norwood LM2000 for $4890 + shipping. It will have the 13hp Honda and 16' bed, so will cut 24" wide and 13' long. 4' bed extensions are $395, the log loader/roller kit is $695. The downside is that you would have to assemble it, or have someone do it for you.

<<On another note, I sold the bike a few weeks ago, even though I wasn't actively trying. So i'm kinda looking right now in the 7K+ range, and the longer I wait the more I could add to the kitty, so we'll see.
I saw a couple of Norwood Lumbermates on the exchange that look promising, but the distance driving up to the "old country" (Ohio & MN), is not possible with my job.

Just gotta keep lookin'

Ted[/QUOTE]>>

i have timber champ saw mill

http://www.woodsmansawmillcompany.com/

Anybody have one of these or seen one run? I'd like to know the good, bad, and ugly on this rig.

Intended purpose would be to mill logs for a timberframe house in the 6,500sq ft range. Round log to square beam. Then to make dimensional lumber for cabinets, flooring, etc.

My own house, not for a customer. If it takes 3 years it takes 3 years. Not doing much timber framing at the moment anyway. Lousy economy...
this mill is a good working mill --just need more information about it --dont know year built serial number is 270.can any one help ?

Back