Worlds Most Reliable saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverKing

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Its not my favorite saw,and there are saws that will way out cut it,but my vote goes for the Stihl 044.Ive owned a few through the years and these saws are bullet proof.Seems like the 60 cc and up saws are more reliable anyhow,but ive never had a minutes trouble with the 044s

let's see where it is in 25 years... this has to go to the Mac 10-10 everyone on here has on and says the same thing, "they won't die" or " never missed a beat"... that's my vote... Mac 10-10

Mac 10-10 or the Stihl 290.

Macs just wont die. They get sold at yard sales and pawn shops, get fixed up, and murder wood for another 20 years.

Close second has to go to the 290. Every Redneck in 30 miles of here has a 290 that thrives on old pennzoil outboard oil mixed with stale gas, and lots of scars from bouncing out of the truck. Most have duct tape customization and some even have quaint personal touches, such as stylish wooden pull handles made from thier victims branches, and old radiator hose zip tied over the handlebar where it was welded/brazed.
Macs live on because they are made from Cast Iron and Granite. 290's survive because they are too expensive to replace.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

The 090 gets my vote, they're saws that last a long time solid build and are the saw thats been in the longest production-close to if not more than 40 years.

Mac 10-10 or the Stihl 290.

Macs just wont die. They get sold at yard sales and pawn shops, get fixed up, and murder wood for another 20 years.

Macs live on because they are made from Cast Iron and Granite.
Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Yup, and they feel like it too, after a day of cutting firewood!
Got guts too. Of course this all comes at a price; your hearing, and carpal tunnel!

Let's not forget the cinder block (600) series Macs. Ugly, heavy, and tend to leak lots of bar oil, but they are pretty tough. Mine still runs even after being thrown (long story...) and kicked (another long story) Leaks bar oil all over God's green earth though. Which that oil tank leak may explain why it runs good for some time, then quits. Let it sit, it'll run for a while, then quit. Over and over again... still keeps on running. That's better than a saw that doesn't run at all, lol.

I would second the 10-10. I keep hearing about these "little" 50cc class muscle saws pulling chain forever... I need to find one someday. However, I've already gotten bit by Yellow Fever again, just 30 some minutes ago... More on that tomorrow. And it probably is one of the most reliable saws. (what properly taken care of old American mag saw isn't?)

Let's not forget the cinder block (600) series Macs. Ugly, heavy, and tend to leak lots of bar oil, but they are pretty tough. Mine still runs even after being thrown (long story...) and kicked (another long story) Leaks bar oil all over God's green earth though. Which that oil tank leak may explain why it runs good for some time, then quits. Let it sit, it'll run for a while, then quit. Over and over again... still keeps on running. That's better than a saw that doesn't run at all, lol.

I would second the 10-10. I keep hearing about these "little" 50cc class muscle saws pulling chain forever... I need to find one someday. However, I've already gotten bit by Yellow Fever again, just 30 some minutes ago... More on that tomorrow. And it probably is one of the most reliable saws. (what properly taken care of old American mag saw isn't?)

Ill agree with ya bud,just cause you got the best picture on here

My vote is for the Mac 10-10 as well. Probably any of the -10 variants from 2-10 thru PM800.
Hard to beat!

My first saw was a Pro Mac 10-10s. That really was a great saw; it might still be my favorite of all time. It was my only saw. I learned to climb with it, then come down and cut up the parts with it when I was done climbing. That was back when I had no idea what I was doing.

I also have a pristine Stihl 044 that has been resting in storage in my back yard for about the last 6 years. Seldom used, it still starts and runs great on stale gas.

Kind of a toss up, in my mind. They are both classics that ran great.

Let me point you in a different direction: Shindaiwa 488. This is a relatively small saw that is just as durable as the other two, and might just start and run better. I'm sure it happens, but I've never seen one that needed a repair that wasn't related to abuse.

Reliable and durable don't always go hand in hand IMHO. Think about point ignitions, not reliable, yet easy to fix and reasonably durable, and one could say the same about condensers on older saws. To me it really depends on how you define reliable, the old iron can last forever, but will require more day to day care than a modern saw.

The end user means more than the product in most cases anyway, beat on something and it's not going to last, I don't care if it's the best made or not. Most tree guys are hiring thugs, paying them nothing and making big money even if they buy new POS saws once a week.

Reliable and durable don't always go hand in hand IMHO. Think about point ignitions, not reliable, yet easy to fix and reasonably durable, and one could say the same about condensers on older saws. To me it really depends on how you define reliable, the old iron can last forever, but will require more day to day care than a modern saw.

The end user means more than the product in most cases anyway, beat on something and it's not going to last, I don't care if it's the best made or not. Most tree guys are hiring thugs, paying them nothing and making big money even if they buy new POS saws once a week.

You hit the nail on the head Andy,thats exactly what i meant.I love my old saws,but everyday I use them im doin some kind of adjustment,or small minor repair.I agree the old saws are more durable,but if i was stuck in the woods with 1 saw and no tools,id have to take the 044

You hit the nail on the head Andy,thats exactly what i meant.I love my old saws,but everyday I use them im doin some kind of adjustment,or small minor repair.I agree the old saws are more durable,but if i was stuck in the woods with 1 saw and no tools,id have to take the 044

All modern pro saws are pretty durable and much more reliable in day to day use. In older saws 25 years or better, the Poulan's run and behave more like modern saws, AKA things aren't falling off and your hands still have some feeling at the end of the day, + they last forever. I can't say the same about the old Macs, homelite's and most old Stihl saws, even though they last just as long.

I have an old 1963 Pioneer with its original points and coil that still starts with 3 or 4 pulls. It would cut all day too but I can't.:hmm3grin2orange:

Al.

I've got a Mac 610 that still screams if you can get it started. It's my fathers saw, and just like everything else he has, there's a trick to starting it. Once it's up and going with a fresh chain and a good opperater, it almost keeps pace with my SM441CM-Tronic bucking mid sized oak. The damn thing is 26 years old. The only reason I'm thinking about replacing it with a Farm Boss(290??) is the starting issues. I need a smaller saw that will start when I pull the cord.

i brought my 075 to my work office/shop the other day for storage, went to go start it, first pull and she fired up. i was shocked as hell, my near new 290 doesnt start first pull nor my 390 xp nor my work 357xp

World's most reliable saw

This is it, only variables are the operator and how sharp it is. Will work the first time, every time. No need to worry about stale gas, rotted fuel lines, fouled plugs, broken recoils, bent bars, worn out sprockets, etc. etc.....

SuperXL925002.jpg

Worlds Most Reliable saw well i would have thought that was the one that belongs to the bloke that knows
how to maintain and care for the saw properly :cheers:

I have a MS290 that I bought back in 2003, and I haven't put any parts into it at all. It gets used for 6 cord or so every year.

I'll also throw in for the mac 10-10. I have one that I bought from an old farmer with some other saws. It's been sitting for who knows how long. I put some fresh gas in it, and it runs. Not well, but it does run. :msp_w00t:

Latest posts

Back