Worlds No.1 Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Huh. That's a shame. May be due to hubris, or just not wanting to support two brands. But brand equity will be lost, as well as the cache of a German mark. While Makita enjoys a strong brand, I don't think most people really equate "Makita" with OPE. I think they risk being perceived as a new entrant, or "also ran", if they really get serious about communicating their product in a mature market. (I don't think they've really devoted the resources to it, but I could be wrong.)
I think it's the other way around. Makita is much more readily identified by the public, somewhat like:
Makita = familiar name, known for quality tools. Japanese.
Dolmar = "Who?" German. The corollary is:

Japanese = quality stuff at a fair price.
German = perhaps better quality stuff but at a premium price.

Dolmar has near zero brand recognition, Makita has huge recognition and existing good reputation. They have a faster path to success by dropping Dolmar and keeping Makita.

Too, I'd lay money that Husqvarna could bring the Poulan brand back to prominence (rebranding exisiting models, near zero investment) much more readily than Makita/Dolmar could "enter" the market. Poulan already has market presence and old-time reputation that could easily be regained by offering modern real pro models. Poulan could be an easy #3 in two years. Quicker if they'd open a U.S. factory. :cheers:

I think it's the other way around. Makita is much more readily identified by the public, somewhat like:
Makita = familiar name, known for quality tools. Japanese.
Dolmar = "Who?" German. The corollary is:

Japanese = quality stuff at a fair price.
German = perhaps better quality stuff but at a premium price.

Dolmar has near zero brand recognition, Makita has huge recognition and existing good reputation. They have a faster path to success by dropping Dolmar and keeping Makita.

Too, I'd lay money that Husqvarna could bring the Poulan brand back to prominence (rebranding exisiting models, near zero investment) much more readily than Makita/Dolmar could "enter" the market. Poulan already has market presence and old-time reputation that could easily be regained by offering modern real pro models. Poulan could be an easy #3 in two years. Quicker if they'd open a U.S. factory. :cheers:

Yep, I don't disagree -- but I think it's a better strategy/rationale for consumer products than professional.

I believe that Makita made a big mistake by not allowing online sales! That might have been there ticket in. A high quality saw available online at a good price. There is a big market there.

Kita is dropping the coins for R&D no doubt. And I'm sure they have input in all stages. I see their future saws kicking some serious 'hind...

My most trusted Kita tool...LC1230

You worry me Tom...there's more shots of guys than gals in that video. And what's up with the cheesy #### music?

I'm fully expecting to see your mug with that 180 rod on the next Stihl calendar!

I myself wasn't eyeing the men like you,hehehehe

I no longer have that famous "It tant the rod that is the problem" rod. I done pitched that thing. In fact I pitched the whole saw. That thing is history as is the myth about the rod,LOL

I myself wasn't eyeing the men like you,hehehehe

I no longer have that famous "It tant the rod that is the problem" rod. I done pitched that thing. In fact I pitched the whole saw. That thing is history as is the myth about the rod,LOL

OMG......you threw away the evidence........:jawdrop::jawdrop:

I guess you have a point if they use the Poulan Pro brand, and they sure have a factory in the US - but that one is used to make cheap and crappy "homeowner" saws and trimmers for several brands. I believe it would work better if the saws were made at the true Husky factory in Sweden. :)

Men like me are an acquired taste...so which men were you eyeing?

Your special, ok, LOLOLOL

I was eyeing the models, not the guys with the cameras. Its ok Ed, look at whatever tickles ya fancy,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

attachment.php

That picture proves that the chainsaw was invented before Leiv Erickson "found" America - in year 900 or so (memory is off, but believe it was about 500 years before Columbus).......:clap::clap::clap:

That picture proves that the chainsaw was invented before Leiv Erickson "found" America - in year 900 or so (memory is off, but believe it was about 500 years before Columbus).......:clap::clap::clap:

Niko, most men don't immediately think of vikings when viewing that picture. Hard to believe I realize.

PS, how many times did Denmark conquer your country?

i have used many different chainsaws over the years stihl, husqvarna/jonserd dolmar/makita etc but have different views on them all, they all have there advantages and disadvantages, but i think in the next couple of years i think Makita will be world No.1 in saw e.g 7900 first saw to achieve 1kg per bhp power to weight and there always improving there saws to perform better, etc

Please have your say as this is my opinion and dont want to start a little war

Have your say, what you think and why?

:clap:

Dolmar makes the Makita chainsaw and I have had good experience with the saws, but it would be hard for me to see Makita being number one in the USA any time soon.
The lack of dealer and part support will hold them back IMO.

Makita has owned Dolmar since 1991 and I don't see them making any kind of push to unseat Stilh or Husqvarna here in the USA.

Things may be different in the UK and other parts of the world.

Dolmar, Stihl, and Husqvarna make very good chainsaws do I don't say anything bad about any of them.

I was going right along with your argument until this statement. What's your reasoning here? Even if M/D passes Husky, (which I'm not sure I believe will happen) can't Husky do just fine with a third of the market?

What's the relative sizes of Husky vs Makita? Given Husky's propensity to buy other saw brands, maybe they'll swallow Makita too?

Not disputing, just want your thoughts.

Thanks

PPine

I see one of three things happening for Husky in the next 10 years

1) Splitting into 2 completely separate entities ( The best choice in my opinion.)

2) Husky keeps a few of their best Pro saws, especially the ones that can get past the E.P.A., and concentrates mainly on the disposable consumer product market. The R and D budget is slashed to practically non-existant in the name of profit until the once great OPE giant spirals downward (ala International Harvester) and is bought by a competitor and whored out like Husky did to Poulan and others. (This is the most likely in my opinion)

3) They leave the logging industry altogether to concentrate on the lawn care industry and sell their best stuff to Echo, Dolmar/Makita, or Shindaiwa.

Huskys dealer network is dropping like flies.
Husqvarna is forcing them to become lawnmower techs and MANY don't want to. Some do not have the space to display all of the Husky products they want you to carry. Others don't like someone telling them how they HAVE to run their business. And still others simply don't want to sell Murray lawnmowers with orange paint on them.
Many are resentful of the fact that they have to work on equipment that was sold through the "big box" stores.
Some are refusing to do so and many others are submitting estimates that are so high the customer is "forced" to move up to buying a "PRO" saw.

So there are a lot of dealers dropping the Husqvarna brand. I wonder who they are picking up???

Stihl- No the initial cost is too high and they have too many regulations.
Echo- Not the best reputation around. Their trimmer line is the only thing keeping them afloat right now.
Shindaiwa- Some are especially as a supplimental line
Redmax- See above

Dolmar- Ding ding ding we have a winner.

In the time I've been here on this earth I've seen MANY companies who were at the top of their game simply disappear or (usually) be bought by the competition.
Don't think Husky is any more immune to that than the companies I've named in this thread earlier.

Mike

Firstly, marketing is a huge factor. Dolmar/Makita are terrible at it.

Also, Stihl produces calendars with really hot German women. And German women are way hotter than Japanese chicks especially when they are wearing those Oktoberfest outfits. Man I love those outfits.

I dunno,this ones pretty cute lol. ;)

attachment.php

Watching Huskie as a company over the last decade has kept me from buying much of their products. They have a few that I like, but the overall attitude of that Zerfoss character (I think that is the one I'm thinking of) was really annoying. Plus he wears too much makeup in all the pictures, you can't trust someone that wears that much makeup.

Mr. HE:cool:

Back