worst saw ever made

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IEL

fight thread slacker
Reaction score
To try and offset all the best saw threads, I thought I might start the opposite. Lets hear the make and model, along with why it sucks so much.

I will start us off with the PM 340, also sold as numerous skilsaws. My reason is that it makes a minimac seem easy to work on, and a wildthing well designed. Dont even get me started on the main bearings.... :msp_angry: Its also totally gutless for its size, and clearly meant to be made as cheap as possible, and has no thought on ease of servicing.

Husky 346xp or the Stihl MS660 mabey even the Husky 372xp or the Stihl 044 Their all terrible and gutless. A true door stop. I would be ashamed to give one away :msp_biggrin:

This will get a few posts

Husky 346xp or the Stihl MS660 mabey even the Husky 372xp or the Stihl 044 Their all terrible and gutless. A true door stop. I would be ashamed to give one away :msp_biggrin:

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!

Spewed water out my nose on that one! :cheers:

McCulloch 33/35 "suitcase" saws should make the list. At least the minimacs are sorta useful once they're running.

The Husky 36/41/136/142 series of saws are my personal thorn in my side.

But the worst all time saw is the Promac 610 and related series of saw.

Stihl 031
Cheapy Chinese saws
Homelite top handles

I just finished working on a Stihl 019T... those saws will test your patience, but the worst saw I have used is the PM 610.

BTW.. old 040, any Solo Twins you don't want just send them my way.. ;)

i can get rid of them for you if you need looks like you have a 660 and 044:hmm3grin2orange: worst saw i have seen is mini mac

Stihl BLK57

It has terrible vibration thru the throttle handle, I couldn't imagine running one for more than a few minutes. Mechanically not so great either. The starter design was finicky to get the friction right. Heavy and awkward.

Stihl 031
Cheapy Chinese saws
Homelite top handles

031? Really? :confused: I'm not saying they are the best saws but I wouldn't put them anywhere near the category of worst.

My worst was a newer Poulan Pro with the tool less chain adjuster.

Last edited:
Looks like McCulloch is taking the lead. No surprise there, having made the mini mac. Im surprised how many stihls are on the list. I bet the 029 will be added once a certain member wakes up. :msp_sneaky:

031? Really? :confused: I'm not saying they are the best saws but I wouldn't put them anywhere near the category of worst.

My worst was a newer Poulan Pro with the tool less chain adjuster.

Just holds a sour spot with me is all. I've ran one when it actually ran well, nice saw really. Been through 5 looking for parts just to get one going, and the disassembly/reassembly involved is enough to make me looking for some minor explosives :D So for now it makes my worst saw list LOL

So you aren't saying they are the worst saw when made just worst because of parts being hard to find?

I was thinking the same, 031's are one of my all time favorites, a 35 year old 3 cube saw that can efficently pull a 20" bar with 3/8 chain. But you are correct on the disassembly/ reassembly, they are different for sure. As far as the worst goes, the Chinese Homelites are pretty rough. It seems as they get worse and worse (materials) as the years go on. Very crudely built.

Back