Would you like chainsaws if they didn't make noise?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes when my Stihl is cutting bigger wood, and the chain is perfectly sharp, I think I can catch bits of "Ride of the Valkyries". If the engine was silent, Would I hear it louder, or not at all?

I'll be 57 next month, for the past year my ears ring all the time. Too many years of noise. I bought a Homelite 101 a little while ago, had the little stack muffler - The noise was painful in my right ear, changed that muffler to the bigger chrome one as soon as I could. Noise........I can live without it -

Yes I would love to run saws without the engine noise. I would even pay extra to have less noise. For me noise is not part of what I enjoy.

There would still be lots of cutting sounds from the chain and severing and removal of fibers that I would enjoy much more. More real feedback on the real task at hand.

I realize I am in a tiny minority, though. And don't get me wrong, I do love power!

+1 ! The most important reason for me not to do any modding to a saw.
Strong noises are working on a person's system and do wear you out. I like wearing hearing protection now when using a saw for a longer time. Think of a wife that doesn't make any noise... priceless...:laugh: :laugh:

On the other hand, a nice idling big size two stroke engine is music to my ears, especially after you restored an old saw and brought it back to life...:greenchainsaw:

Anyone remember the Red Green show with the chainsaw noise in the background? Show would not be the same without. :)

no. Let me clarify that..........hell no. As long as it goes fast, makes a lot of noise, I like it. :givebeer:

If there was no noise .We would mod it to make noise.....LOL Noise = more flow........more flow = more power........ as of todays day and age. But i know to much is not good.

Hey Volks

I reped him for ya. That was a good one. Because I recently became aware of a chainsaws carnivorous tendencies I purchased chaps. I have worn hearing protection for years, and although aware that chainsaws were meat eaters I thought I was immune. I never got bit, but some on AS showed some stitches and convinced me I was not bite proof. As for the noise I love it, but my aging ears don't. JR

+1 ! The most important reason for me not to do any modding to a saw.
Strong noises are working on a person's system and do wear you out. I like wearing hearing protection now when using a saw for a longer time. Think of a wife that doesn't make any noise... priceless...:laugh: :laugh:

On the other hand, a nice idling big size two stroke engine is music to my ears, especially after you restored an old saw and brought it back to life...:greenchainsaw:

+1 I agree with Belgian. My hearing isn't as good as it was when I was younger, and I now wear hearing protection whenever I cut. Yet I can say emphatically, I like chainsaws a lot more now than I did when my hearing was better and my ears were unprotected.

I always wear hearing protecting when sawing. I've seen too many older folks who are stone deaf because they didn't value their hearing. However, I steel like the vibration from the noise that you can feel with your whole body, not just ears. :cheers:

I always wear hearing protecting when sawing. I've seen too many older folks who are stone deaf because they didn't value their hearing. However, I steel like the vibration from the noise that you can feel with your whole body, not just ears. :cheers:

What I can't hear ya, get that saw from between ya legs man that is saw abuse
:hmm3grin2orange:

These kids putting ricer-muffs on their auto-tranny Civics crack me up, sounds like a perpetual fart. If your making power, flaunt it; if loud makes more power, go for it; if your just making noise, shut it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemule View Post
What if your chainsaw was completely noiseless. Would you like to run it?

yeah right

just imagine a pitbull standing in front of you barking without sound... Would that also be the same??

NOT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemule View Post
What if your chainsaw was completely noiseless. Would you like to run it?

yeah right

just imagine a pitbull standing in front of you barking without sound... Would that also be the same??

NOT.
I'm more leery of dogs that don't bark and don't wag their tales than I am ones that bark their arses off. Still waters run deep.

I'm more leery of dogs that don't bark and don't wag their tales than I am ones that bark their arses off. Still waters run deep.

Smart man. My dog is 118 pounds and doesn't bark. I leave the front door unlocked all the time just hoping someone walks in.

Fred

Yes I would love to run saws without the engine noise. I would even pay extra to have less noise. For me noise is not part of what I enjoy.

There would still be lots of cutting sounds from the chain and severing and removal of fibers that I would enjoy much more. More real feedback on the real task at hand.

I realize I am in a tiny minority, though. And don't get me wrong, I do love power!

+1 More power/Less noise

The OSHA limit, at which hearing damage occurs after too much exposure, is 90 decibels (dB). Assuming the saw is putting out noise at 110 decibels (about the same as a pneumatic drill, typical rock concert, Steel Mill, riveting, auto horn at 3 feet), OSHA's maximum daily exposure is 30 minutes w/o hearing protection (OSHA rules 29 CFR 1910.95). However some saws are louder (120 decibels - the pain threshold) and exceed the upper limit for ANY exposure.....so wear hearing protection!

A noiseless saw would save me money on hearing protection.
Maximum Exposure per day (OSHA):
Duration (Hours per day) Sound Level (decibels)
8hrs 90dB
6hrs 92dB
4hrs 95dB
3hrs 97dB
2hrs 100dB
1 1/2hrs 102dB
1hrs 105dB
1/2hr 110dB
< 15 min 115dB

Last edited:
Back