Would you or would you, this is a test

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, she gets irritated when she has to hold the goat still that long, and then she said you tried to pay her on credit. She was pissed all right.

Ha, fear not ole boy, that sucking sound she makes when she walks, it will fade in a few days. You'll never know I was there in oh about 7 days,LOLOL

She called it a goat to you, she call it da big boy to me,LOLOLOLOL

you did well

I owned fly fishing and hunting stores for twenty five years, and there are alot of similarities with what you guys are talking about. Broken rods, leaky waders, gun cleaning and repair, special orders, "I want this tomorrow" etc.

I think a good retailer has to train alot of customers to be good customers. I would have three piece suit guys walk in with two filthy duck guns, that hadn't been cleaned in ages, and tell me they needed them tomorrow. No problem. Here is my "tomorrow price" (twice normal). Without exception, they paid it and were glad for the service as most gunsmiths in the area would laugh and tell them it would take two weeks and give them alot of attitude with it.

Retail is a two way street, and I've sent more than a few guys packing over the years. I used to love telling some a&$#*^e that I thought he should find another gun shop because I obviously wasn't making him happy. But alot of guys whose first visit was like your "I'll be back for it at 4" guy, turn into great customers who don't chisel you and bring you good referral customers.

Too many small businesses try to be liked by selling cheap shotgun shells, cheap parts, etc. The same guy that comes to your store for your low prices, will most times go to another in a minute if he finds a better price.

A contractor buddy of mine had a great line when he was bidding a custom home and the clients were beating him up on price. He'd say. "... there are three things, QUALITY, LOW PRICE and SERVICE. You can choose any two, but not all three."

Just my .02

A contractor buddy of mine had a great line when he was bidding a custom home and the clients were beating him up on price. He'd say. "... there are three things, QUALITY, LOW PRICE and SERVICE. You can choose any two, but not all three."

Just my .02

I've heard it as an engineer's motto. You can choose two out of three, quality, speed, or low price, but not all three.

I owned fly fishing and hunting stores for twenty five years, and there are alot of similarities with what you guys are talking about. Broken rods, leaky waders, gun cleaning and repair, special orders, "I want this tomorrow" etc.

I think a good retailer has to train alot of customers to be good customers. I would have three piece suit guys walk in with two filthy duck guns, that hadn't been cleaned in ages, and tell me they needed them tomorrow. No problem. Here is my "tomorrow price" (twice normal). Without exception, they paid it and were glad for the service as most gunsmiths in the area would laugh and tell them it would take two weeks and give them alot of attitude with it.

Retail is a two way street, and I've sent more than a few guys packing over the years. I used to love telling some a&$#*^e that I thought he should find another gun shop because I obviously wasn't making him happy. But alot of guys whose first visit was like your "I'll be back for it at 4" guy, turn into great customers who don't chisel you and bring you good referral customers.

Too many small businesses try to be liked by selling cheap shotgun shells, cheap parts, etc. The same guy that comes to your store for your low prices, will most times go to another in a minute if he finds a better price.

Just my .02

Good post!!

I'm going to remember that bolded part, thats good stuff there,:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Space I'm going to bed now, I had a LONG HARD day just like ya girlie friend. If she whispers my name in her sleep don't be mad, be happy, what are freinds for ole buddy, niters...

Cant put myself in that sitch,

but you did a nice thing!

Ive had the ase masters that run the local steel your money dealer tell me I had to leave my 056 for a few weeks(waiting line) to get a new fuel filter...

#### im not stupid...

I don't know of a dealer around here that would have even considered doing that. They all have signs about stupidity on your part not being an emergency on their part.

Then they wonder why all the landscape and tree companies do all their own service and repair work and order parts from the next town over.

If I were the one dropping off the chain, and I thought there was a chance it would be done, I'd be sure to tip, buy lots of stuff, and say thanks many times. It was a favor and should be treated as such.

Mr. HE:cool:

I keep forgetting, we have one dealer that would try to help. They are so busy I feel bad for them. Only dealer around that I would consider taking a saw to for work. The new owner and his team of guys really know their stuff and they are a pleasure to do business with.

Mr. HE:cool:

The dealer i use for ordering parts is spot on, Mike who works the parts counter is always helpful weather i order in person or over the phone. When the parts arrive in the morning post he always telephones and says they are ok to be picked up. Never have i been asked to pay for parts upfront, but at the other dealers in town they insist on it. Dont get me wrong, i wouldnt mind paying upfront but Mike runs his shop on trust and gets ten times more people through his doors than the other place.
The only problem with this is if you need a chain sharpening it will be ready in a couple days, and thats it. No bartering, if you dont like it go elsewhere. Also his service shop is so busy its a 6 week turnaround, people are ok with this as they know they get top quality service.

Sounds like you need a sign that says something like:

Chain Sharpening:
Next-Day Service $6
Same-Day Service $12
Drop Everthing-and-do-it-now price: $25 buys a new chain

The guy was just a noob, I doubt he realized what he did by expecting it by 4PM. I think you handled it well already. He'll be back for a bigger saw next week because he's gonna rock both those chains and blame the saw for throwing dust.

I've had this happen in reverse. I took the Barbie Saw in, expecting to have to leave it. The saw shop guys know I live 60 miles away, and they said they could have it ready in a few hours. I wandered around town for a while, phoned to find out the progress, and the saw was done, ahead of time. So far, I've bought a saw for me, a saw for work, and a weedwhacker from them along with accessories. They've got my loyalty and I want to see them stay in business. Except they need to sell little sticker decals for saws. They and Stihl also need to have hats in pastel colors. :)

Thall, you done good. :clap:

I've had this happen in reverse. I took the Barbie Saw in, expecting to have to leave it. The saw shop guys know I live 60 miles away, and they said they could have it ready in a few hours. I wandered around town for a while, phoned to find out the progress, and the saw was done, ahead of time. So far, I've bought a saw for me, a saw for work, and a weedwhacker from them along with accessories. They've got my loyalty and I want to see them stay in business. Except they need to sell little sticker decals for saws. They and Stihl also need to have hats in pastel colors. :)

Thall, you done good. :clap:

Thankya, thankya very much,:clap::clap::clap:

Well I gotta give my customer credit, he was nice and he fully understood he was jumping ahead of all the other stuff I had to do. He spent quite a few dollars too. I think he and me will get along just fine now that he has a spare chain,:cheers::cheers::cheers:

He's gonna need it once he discovers the cutters aren't really supposed to be that blue.

Maybe a little late to jump into this thread, but here it goes:

The note says "He would like the chain by 4PM." I may be reading too much into this, but he didn't demand it. When he came in at 2PM, he probably wasn't expecting someone to be at lunch then and was probably expecting to talk to someone to see if it could be done when he needed it.

How I would have handled what you said depends a lot on the attitude you had while saying it. If you gave me too much, I'd tell you off, or at least not buy anything from you. If you made it like a suggestion that I ought to have a backup if I needed a chain that quickly, I would be ok with that and would have likely agreed with you and bought one. I have gone into places before hoping that something could be done quickly, but understood when it couldn't. People that are nice about it, I go back to or buy what I need. People that aren't nice, I leave and never go back and tell everyone I know an a$$ they are. Never hurts to be polite, even when you can't help.

Latest posts

Back