would you pay full price for a saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

066blaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
There has been a lot of talk about CL deals and great buys on used saws on here.
I would never pay full retail( or what its worth) for any used saw. Most of the enjoyment of buying a saw seems to be the feeling of getting a great deal. Im not sure i could even buy a new saw.. not enough excitement!

I bought a new 562xp last year.
It put a smile on my face the first time I ran it and still does.
I got a decent deal on it. Less than retail but not the deal of the century either.
It was the saw I needed for what I cut and I was excited to get it.

As with all equipment, If I depend on it for a living, it'll be new. Otherwise I will never buy new if a used one can be found. It's not worth losing the value when you walk off the lot.

Example of an exception: A used snowblower. In these parts, snowblowers are usually left outside to rust and are only run once or twice a year. So finding a suitable used one isn't feasible. Gotta buy new.

I buy PHO if I can because I have a collection of nice bars to use, so I feel like I save a little money that way.

only "new" saw I bought was my 570 for $450., 1/2 new price, "used once", for what, I dunno, looked new... and ya I saw his cc receipt. at the same time, 13 of my other 14 have all added up to less than that... new is nice tho...

I have bought mostly new but have also had luck on Craig's list. When I have bought new I always paid a little less than retail. Eg the 2260 terry l had for black Monday. what a smoking deal that was.

I've never paid retail for saw , i always get a screamin hot deal for mine and then haggle for extras to be thrown in..............works more often than not:D

Sent from my GT-S7500T using Tapatalk 2

i would not buy a new saw unless some new technology like fuel injection came out. got enough saws to last me til then i figure. keep in mind that no matter how hard a dealer may seem he wants to make the sale and will do almost anything to do it as long as he is still making money. i got a buddy who owns a dealer and he says he makes 40% on saws and parts. he has no problem hooking me up with anything as long as he is still making money. there is plenty negotiation room in saws just like vehicles, you just gotta know how to play your cards right. i laugh when i hear of people going into a dealer and just paying the price. these are the people who get taken for all their worth their whole life. a person who seems anxious, excited, and ready to buy will never get a deal. they will play you hard so you gotta play harder.

FWIW, I actually LIKE working a deal with folks. Few pay retail at our shop. Even though I only work part time at the saw shop, the owner always pulls me into the showroom to sell saws when I'm there. He has said many times that as long as we are making some $ on the stuff, make a deal and sell it. That said, the cheapskate jack-wagon that walks in and demands a discount will be getting zero discount and zero freebies from me. Conversely, regular customers will generally find discounts automatically applied and service times rounded down.

There has been a lot of talk about CL deals and great buys on used saws on here.
I would never pay full retail( or what its worth) for any used saw. Most of the enjoyment of buying a saw seems to be the feeling of getting a great deal. Im not sure i could even buy a new saw.. not enough excitement!
If it is excitement you are after go to an in person auction. I wasn't paying close attention last time but I don't think the guys bidding on the diesel powered chippers paid any attention to the chainsaw lots. It depends on where you are in the grand scheme of things. And whether a used saw (I assume we aren't talking hydraulic chain saw here) is the type of item the person answering the question would even be inetrested in. A new auto tune 562 costs about what a 275 gallon tank of heating oil does when it is below one quarter full. How do I get that for less than full cost? I guess one could put it on the credit card with benefits or get the 5 cents off for pay real soon. For someone 59 years old one of the exchange health policies will cost about two plus three MS880 in premiums plus out of pocket just choose which of 14 options to determine where the two and the three go that is assuming you get sick. Oh and are able never to go out of network. In a practical and economic sense just buying what you need when you need it is good.

Last edited:
If it is excitement you are after go to an in person auction. I wasn't paying close attention last time but I don't think the guys bidding on the diesel powered chippers paid any attention to the chainsaw lots. It depends on where you are in the grand scheme of things. And whether a used saw (I assume we aren't talking hydraulic chain saw here) is the type of item the person answering the question would even be inetrested in. A new auto tune 562 costs about what a 275 gallon tank of heating oil does when it is below one quarter full. How do I get that for less than full cost? I guess one could put it on the credit card with benefits or get the 5 cents off for pay real soon. For someone 59 years old one of the exchange health policies will cost about two plus three MS880 in premiums plus out of pocket just choose which of 14 options to determine where the two and the three go that is assuming you get sick. Oh and are able never to go out of network. In a practical and economic sense just buying what you need when you need it is good.
Huh?

:dizzy:..you lost me ?

I would have no problem paying full retail for a saw that I had already run and knew would work well for me.I don't flip,trade or collect saws so it will be with me for a long time.I bought my Alpina 700 in 1995 and I still have and use it.I've several used saws over the years(at you suck prices) and they still required time and money to get into production or get setup to my liking.If I have a big commercial money making job to do old stuff(no matter how cool) can all to often cost you time and money

I've bought a few new saws through the years but never paid full retail. The 372 xpw I bought was $680, 2153 was $500 OTD, and 660 wrap was $1010. I prefer to buy used or in pieces and build them back myself since it's cheaper and I'm not depending on them for a living.

Latest posts

Back