Tree Pedo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Treepedo

The Treepedo is designed to move easily into and around the crown to your TIP and back to the ground with your access rope. I throw the Treepedo almost daily over homes, near vehicles but keep any people a safe distance away. We are throwing into trees not at targets and if there is a potential for something to get damaged use the protective sleeve or throw a bag or push a line up with poles or get a ladder. Be carefull!
The Treepedo works so well and It is just to bad I struggled with throw bags for ten years before I figured this out and I just want to share a good design and help get what can be the most frustrating part of the day done smooth and easy

I think that is pretty cool. I could see us using that. I would shoot it just to see how far it would go!

The Treepedo is designed to move easily into and around the crown to your TIP and back to the ground with your access rope. I throw the Treepedo almost daily over homes, near vehicles but keep any people a safe distance away. We are throwing into trees not at targets and if there is a potential for something to get damaged use the protective sleeve or throw a bag or push a line up with poles or get a ladder. Be carefull!
The Treepedo works so well and It is just to bad I struggled with throw bags for ten years before I figured this out and I just want to share a good design and help get what can be the most frustrating part of the day done smooth and easy

What if that sucker rebounds off a branch like it so often does....man, does somebody yell "incoming" and you all scatter like it is a war zone?:eek:

What if that sucker rebounds off a branch like it so often does....man, does somebody yell "incoming" and you all scatter like it is a war zone?:eek:

wwhat I experience is not so much as a rebound but a deflection so it doesn,t really bounce around its changes direction slightly but still moves forward towards your target but I am sure if you hit a larger limb it will bounce back and most likely catch a lower limb before hitting the ground or you.
Either way its exciting using Treepedo because it is designed with precision and performance in mind, the throw bag is a weight and really not mcuh more than that.

Not trying to repeatedly slam your product, but it seems as intended the bean bag will collapse innocently upon impact and the pedo would cause injury to conductive tissue.? If this the case it would still be a great tool for takedowns.

Lord knows we all could use an improvement on accuracy.

Hate to think like a warmonger but I am a vet and sometimes think that way.

It could be used to replace the M79 grenade launcher and the advantage being no need to carry a heavy gun (I used to carry one) and the enemy would not hear the pop it makes prior to the grenade landing. Treepedo becomes armed....just musing lol.

I like it.
I would not always use it, in the event of having a bad target behind me, or maybe underneath, it would be good to go otherwise, I'm not worried about hitting myself.

That thing flipping BACK out of the tree would be dangerous though to a house.
throwbags are dead weight, that treepedo is hardened metal, right?
:cheers:

Not trying to repeatedly slam your product, but it seems as intended the bean bag will collapse innocently upon impact and the pedo would cause injury to conductive tissue.? If this the case it would still be a great tool for takedowns.

Lord knows we all could use an improvement on accuracy.

The collateral damage is minor its probabley at the most 1/4" square at the weighted point and the other end is the tail or throw line end and my experience is the bags snaging and jammin will do much more damage to to the limbs it gets snagged on. I have ripped out, fractured and permanently damage some limbs with the throw bag and created more pruning work than was necessary.

Hate to think like a warmonger but I am a vet and sometimes think that way.

It could be used to replace the M79 grenade launcher and the advantage being no need to carry a heavy gun (I used to carry one) and the enemy would not hear the pop it makes prior to the grenade landing. Treepedo becomes armed....just musing lol.

My first public exhibit was at the UK Arbor Fair. I met a few Veterans/senior arborists there and one individual shares his story with me how they used all sorts of projectiles including some sort of spent shell. I remember he shook my arm and slapped me on the back and said it is about time someone comes up with a better way and congratulated me. I think making it self propelled with the ability to blow limbs off the tree is stage 2 and I will need to work hard on my Treepedo Disclaimer and specific instructions lol.:cheers:

I like it.
I would not always use it, in the event of having a bad target behind me, or maybe underneath, it would be good to go otherwise, I'm not worried about hitting myself.

That thing flipping BACK out of the tree would be dangerous though to a house.
throwbags are dead weight, that treepedo is hardened metal, right?
:cheers:

anodized ali, stainless steel interior weight and the protective sleeve is vinyl with rubber for immpact dampening. Flipping back is what throw bag does the Treepedo pretty much just drops free from most obstacle like a slippery fish. I did have a retrieval last week that needed my apprentice and I to put both aof our weights on to the line. I tied the throw line to a fence post perpendicular to the line of pull and used my climbing line and pulley coonected the the throwline/Treepedo and pulled from a safe distance from the target fall zone. We pulled on the life line and we landed on our butts and the treepedo and line came free and landed exactly where we wanted it to. Throw bag would have been stuck forever and the throwline as you know just gets weaker and weaker and eventually has to be replaced because it is so full of fisherman knots and snaps with your own body weight. Thanks to my Treepedos smooth and easy rope access I don't have to relive those throw bag days. .:cheers:

It's a solution looking for a problem, IMHO. Nice to see the price has been settled, though.

I am trying to understand how is it a solution looking for a problem. Are you trying to say the Treepedo is ssolving problems before they happen. If so that is so crazy cool.:clap:

I was trying to be polite, actually.

Tried one that was making the rounds, thought it pretty much sucked, and didn't seem to solve any real problem. If anything, it hung up on a tight crotch more than my usual method.

But as I said, given that at the show you couldn't seem to make up your mind what to charge for them, it's nice to see you settled on that, at least.

Sorry. :)

But hey, maybe I'm just not seeing the big deal.

Last edited:

Tried one that was making the rounds, thought it pretty much sucked, and didn't seem to solve any real problem. If anything, it hung up on a tight crotch more than my usual method.

But as I said, given that at the show you couldn't seem to make up your mind what to charge for them, it's nice to see you settled on that, at least.

Do you have any advice or specifics on what or why it didn't work for you. I have been throwing bags for over ten years and was forced to invent the Treepedo solution to help me work out quite a few problems. Throw bags jaming, snagging, busting open etc, frustration with isolating TIPs and positioning ropes. I want to know your secret. I am sharing mine.:help:

Price was difficult for us at the time we got our 1st 100 treepedos the same week and then we were not allowed to sell them at the show( that really sucked) and to try to keep it simple we just gave the guys a ball park figure for what they might expect to pay for one at a local arb supplier.:cheers:

Thanks for the explanation regarding the pricing confusion.

Can't share any big secrets; I just do it the way you're supposed to. Most of the people who hang bags up are trying to pull them back through a crotch. I don't know why you'd want to do that; it makes way more sense to untie and pull just the line though. Tie your climb line on with a nice tight clove as close to the end as you can get it, and it'll flip up though even a narrow crotch well. As for those super-tight vee crotches... they're lousy TIP's anyways, so why you would use one unless you absolutely had to is beyond me. I'd rather toss a bag through and set a friction saver, which doesn't fit in the TP anyway.

The TP requires much more caution when throwing than a bag does; its extremely hard construction means you're limited to throwing in directions where breakable objects aren't- not always a possibility in our line of work. I don't get trees out in the open, I get trees inches from valuable property that the average idiot with a saw can't handle. It takes an exceptional idiot like me! :hmm3grin2orange:

One could throw a soft bag, and then tie the TP on... but if you have to go through the extra step, you're not saving anything, are you?

In over 20 years of tree work, I've only hung a bag up a few times. Using one properly is a basic skill, not an exceptional talent for the elite. :cheers:

Thanks for the explanation regarding the pricing confusion.

Can't share any big secrets; I just do it the way you're supposed to. Most of the people who hang bags up are trying to pull them back through a crotch. I don't know why you'd want to do that; it makes way more sense to untie and pull just the line though. Tie your climb line on with a nice tight clove as close to the end as you can get it, and it'll flip up though even a narrow crotch well. As for those super-tight vee crotches... they're lousy TIP's anyways, so why you would use one unless you absolutely had to is beyond me. I'd rather toss a bag through and set a friction saver, which doesn't fit in the TP anyway.

The TP requires much more caution when throwing than a bag does; its extremely hard construction means you're limited to throwing in directions where breakable objects aren't- not always a possibility in our line of work. I don't get trees out in the open, I get trees inches from valuable property that the average idiot with a saw can't handle. It takes an exceptional idiot like me! :hmm3grin2orange:

One could throw a soft bag, and then tie the TP on... but if you have to go through the extra step, you're not saving anything, are you?

In over 20 years of tree work, I've only hung a bag up a few times. Using one properly is a basic skill, not an exceptional talent for the elite. :cheers:

Whats your most common trees for pruning? I am an hour north of niagara Falls and 40% Silver, Manitoba Maple, 25% Sugar, 10% oaks and 10% Black locust, beech few others and aside from the oak and m/b the beech I run into difficulties quite often and used to just practice hitting a limb about 1/2 way up. Most of my work is serious crown reduction/drop crotch pruning and find I need to get as high as possible and in the centre of really wide spreading trees

Back