372xp w or 390 xp ......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love my 268, mine's not an xp but the 372 xpw was a nice step up for me. That being said the 390 xp is on my want list!!:help:

If you are not apposed to an external clutch take a look at a 394xp. You can pick up a nice saw for $300-$400 or so. Got mine at a local auction for $300 in very nice shape. It isn't light but will cut like crazy.

Lol. These are great answers, all of which I appreciate. Seems to be divided still, some say 372 some say 390. I thought I heard some one mention a dolmar? :popcorn: I haven't had the pleasure to run one yet though I have heard of a lot of guys going to that mfg. I primarily cut your standard eastern hardwoods, and a lot of cherry. Big cherry. Sounds like I should pick up a new 372xp w while they are available and then find a used 390xp.... I like the sound of that...:hmm3grin2orange:

When you start looking for a used 390xp don't rule out a used 385xp. My 2004 385xp cuts every bit as fast as my rev limit coil 390xp.

go big or go home. I did not think I would like my 066 because it is more saw than I need, but now that I have had a chance to use it I absolutely love it. Yea it is big and heavy but who cares, the look on every ones face when it comes out is priceless, I just shake my head and say "you know it". So get the 390 and strap on a real long bar 36" or bigger and enjoy the "I have a man saw" feeling.:D:D:rock:

My vote goes to both!!!:rock::rock::rock:

I have a ported 390xp...Love it, she has been dubbed the name "Chip Slinger" by a friend of mine lol. I also have a 372 xpw, that i call the mutant for a certain number of reasons lol awesome saw as well. I have no complaints!:clap:

Both my 390XP and 390XPG are modded so I'll only comment on the weight and balance. They balance every bit as good as my Dolmar 7900's despite being heavier on paper and are a beautiful saw to use (the 7900's are a great saw too). Although not a small light saw by any means with a bit of saw fitness you'll have no dramas throwing one around all day.

In saying that though the 372XPW is a great saw as well by all accounts but the 390XP will do everything that saw will plus more. By getting a 390XP you'll never feel the need to run the 372XP (I have a couple of 365's with 76cc BB kits).

Don't listen to the guys saying get both saws - we have CAD here and you can't trust our judgement :cheers:

Lol. These are great answers, all of which I appreciate. Seems to be divided still, some say 372 some say 390. I thought I heard some one mention a dolmar? :popcorn: I haven't had the pleasure to run one yet though I have heard of a lot of guys going to that mfg. I primarily cut your standard eastern hardwoods, and a lot of cherry. Big cherry. Sounds like I should pick up a new 372xp w while they are available and then find a used 390xp.... I like the sound of that...:hmm3grin2orange:

It may already be a challenge to find a new 372xp that isn't the heavier XT version.....:msp_unsure:

You already have a 268, so it only makes sense to get the 390. They are one nice saw!

Now, if you got a 372XPW and had a decent port job done on it, you wouldn't need the 268 or the 390.

Weight of the smaller, power of the larger! :msp_biggrin:

alright who invited the wives to this party ???? :msp_w00t:

(sorry matt...juss messin wit cha)

Thats OK. It was a stupid comment and I retract it now :)

I say get the 395 just to be sure.
:D

A 390XP will stay with a 395XP up to a 32" bar by all accounts, even slightly faster in smaller wood. That's straight from a well respected Husky dealer on this site ;) There is a reason why a lot of 390XP's are being sold into forestry now - not sure what the ratio compared to the 395XP is but they've gained a hell of a lot of ground, if not surpassed the 395XP?

didn`t knew that.
funny is that in Romania they sell only the 395 XP
along with 3120, 576, 372, 357, 346
not the other models as in W and G and e-tech etc.

Now, if you got a 372XPW and had a decent port job done on it, you wouldn't need the 268 or the 390.

Weight of the smaller, power of the larger! :msp_biggrin:

True true Al. And possibly without fines getting through the filter ;)

didn`t knew that.
funny is that in Romania they sell only the 395 XP
along with 3120, 576, 372, 357, 346
not the other models as in W and G and e-tech etc.

Well I only see one saw in your future then...
a 3120...

with 60" bar...

yes, but the Stihl sells the 880 and although I favor Husky, I think 880 is a better saw; am I wrong ?

Actually I don't believe so. There is absolutely nothing in it but I have heard of more issues with the 880's in Australia than the 3120's. I've run both side by side and they are basically identical in performance. Biggest difference being the inboard clutch on the 880 and the outboard on the 3120. I find outboard clutches painful if swapping between chain pitches (you have to remove the clutch) and with longer bars the chain and bar can't be put on as one unit with the outboard clutch.
On paper I think the 3120 is lightly heavier and sightly less powerful but it's not noticable. Both great saws but out here the 880's cost about USD$2650 compared the USD$2300-2500 for the Husky 3120. I paid the equivalent of USD$2250 for mine in Australia from a local dealer with a 42" bar. A mate who bought an 880 paid USD$2550 with a 36" ES bar in the same month basically.

Last edited:
Actually I don't believe so. There is absolutely nothing in it but I have heard of more issues with the 880's in Australia than the 3120's. I've run both side by side and they are basically identical in performance. Biggest difference being the inboard clutch on the 880 and the outboard on the 3120. I find outboard clutches painful if swapping between chain pitches (you have to remove the clutch) and with longer bars the chain and bar can't be put on as one unit with the outboard clutch.
On paper I think the 3120 is lightly heavier and sightly less powerful but it's not noticable. Both great saws but out here the 880's cost about USD$2650 compared the USD$2300-2500 for the Husky 3120. I paid the equivalent of USD$2250 for mine in Australia from a local dealer with a 42" bar. A mate who bought an 880 paid USD$2550 with a 36" ES bar in the same month basically.

I see; I have only the paper specs for I never ran a saw that big.
You may be right. as I said, the specs made me consider the 880 as better saw; when the time cams (if) I`ll look further into the matter.
:)
although I fear I will never need a such saw.
Would be great to run one with an 18-20" bar.

Latest posts

Back