372xp w or 390 xp ......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
although I fear I will never need a such saw.
Would be great to run one with an 18-20" bar.

I don't need such a saw either ;)
The shortest bar I think I've run on it is 24". It just plays with it but even a bar that short looks stupid :)

I do have some 17" bars that will fit. Hmmm...

A 17" and a 10 pin would probably work out good for you matt.:msp_thumbup:

OP, since you seem open to the idea of a Dolmar, let me give you a little more info. the 7900 is very near the equal of the 390 (6.3 vs 6.5hp) in power. it is within about 5oz of the 372 (real weight, not factory specs). the ONLY performance shortcoming is that the oiler is a wee-bit small for bars over 32-36" (ok, if you are cutting australian dust trees, the filter---fine for most everyone else). if your cutting is with a 32" or smaller bar, you won't find a better saw (and don't worry about durability, they are every bit a tough as a stihl or husky).

OP, since you seem open to the idea of a Dolmar, let me give you a little more info. the 7900 is very near the equal of the 390 (6.3 vs 6.5hp) in power. it is within about 5oz of the 372 (real weight, not factory specs). the ONLY performance shortcoming is that the oiler is a wee-bit small for bars over 32-36" (ok, if you are cutting australian dust trees, the filter---fine for most everyone else). if your cutting is with a 32" or smaller bar, you won't find a better saw (and don't worry about durability, they are every bit a tough as a stihl or husky).

As much as I agree with you on the HP ratings the one thing that isn't mentioned in the specs is torque and that is probably more important that outright HP. Although I'm a big fan of both the Dolmar 7900 and the 390XP if the Husky had a HD filter system available that was as good as the 7900 then I'd probably lean towards the Husky. I haven't found the weight difference is noticable between the 7900 and 390XP after 8-10 hours of constant use as both saws balance very well. There is still no better value for money saw on the market though than the 7900 :cheers:

i agree with the torque. i have started running a 288 more, lately. it isn't any faster than the 7900's as long as you are careful of the pressure you use. but the 288 is more forgiving if you get a little heavy, and the sound is musical compared to the 7900. that said, the 385 i had was noticeably heavier as born out by the two pound difference on the scale. maybe i just need to eat more spinach!!!!
that said, if i could only take one saw into the woods and the trees averaged more than 15", my choice would definitely be the 7900. it is just hard to beat its power and weight combination.

A good example is an 064. It is only a stroked version of an 046 as far as it's displacement, and only rated maybe .3 hp more. But unlike the 046 at 77 cc's, the 84cc 064 can pull a 32" bar through maple wood with authority due to it's long stroke. It tried to snatch the saw from my hands a couple of times while bucking 50" maple. My 046 never acted in such a way. not even close. Torque is what ya need for big bars and big wood. The only way to get it is through displacement or good porting. The 7900 have great ports and compression, so I can see it's potential, but it is simply not a modern 90cc saw.

As much as I agree with you on the HP ratings the one thing that isn't mentioned in the specs is torque and that is probably more important that outright HP. Although I'm a big fan of both the Dolmar 7900 and the 390XP if the Husky had a HD filter system available that was as good as the 7900 then I'd probably lean towards the Husky. I haven't found the weight difference is noticable between the 7900 and 390XP after 8-10 hours of constant use as both saws balance very well. There is still no better value for money saw on the market though than the 7900 :cheers:

So whats the diff. between a 390xp and a 395xp ??

Inboard clutch on the 390 and outboard on the 395. A couple lb weight difference. The 390 will cut faster in smaller wood.

So whats the diff. between a 390xp and a 395xp ??

395XP is 93.6cc, 7.1HP, and 17.4lbs and the 390XP 87.9cc, 6.5HP, and 15.4lbs.

The 395XP has an outboard clutch whereas the 390XP has an inboard clutch and is lighter. Both are excellent saws. Other major difference for many people is that there are numerous aftermarket spares available for the 395XP but basically none for the 390XP. If you do a cylinder in on a 390XP then you're up for a hefty fee for a new OEM replacement, instead of a $120 big bore kit for the 395XP :)

Product

372 XP® W

390 XP® W

395 XP® W
MSRP
$ 859.95 $ 1,119.95 $ 1,209.95
Features
Air Injection
Air Injection
Air Injection

Centrifugal air cleaning system removes larger dust and debris particles before reaching the air filter. This results in reduced air filter cleanings and improved engine life.
Included feature Included feature Included feature
Eco-pump
Eco-pump

Eco-pump that stops the lubrication when idling.
Included feature Feature N/A Feature N/A
Quick-release air filter
Quick-release air filter
Quick-release air filter

Facilitates cleaning and replacement of the air filter.
Adjustable oil pump
Adjustable oil pump
Adjustable oil pump

Allows you to control oil flow depending on application and weather conditions.
Side-mounted chain tensioner

Easier access to chain tensioning device.
Included feature Included feature Feature N/A
Three-piece crankshaft
Three-piece crankshaft
Three-piece crankshaft

Forged three-piece crankshaft for maximum durability for the toughest applications.
LowVib®
LowVib®
LowVib®

System designed to reduce vibration levels to the operator, which lessens fatigue.
Smart Start®
Smart Start®
Smart Start®

The engine and starter have been designed so the machine starts quickly with minimum effort.
Engine specification
Cylinder displacement 71 cc 87.9 cc 93.6 cc
Power output 5.4 hp 6.5 hp 7.1 hp
Idling speed 2700 rpm 2700 rpm 2500 rpm
Maximum power speed 9600 rpm 9600 rpm 9600 rpm
Cylinder bore 2.02 inch 2.17 inch 2.2 inch
Cylinder stroke 1.42 inch 1.5 inch 1.5 inch
Ignition system SEM AM50 SEM AM50 SEM AM50
Ignition module air gap 0.01 " 0.01 " 0.01 "
Spark plug NGK BPMR7A Champion RCJ 7Y NGK BPMR7A
Electrode gap 0.02 " 0.02 " 0.02 "
Carburetor model name HD12B WJ 116 HS300A
Fuel tank volume 1.62 US pint 1.9 US pint 1.9 US pint
Oil tank volume 0.89 US pint 1.06 US pint 1.1 US pint
Oil pump type Adjustable flow Adjustable flow Adjustable flow
Oil pump capacity 4-21 ml/min 6-24 ml/min 14-21 ml/min
Cutting equipment
Chain pitch 3/8" 3/8" 3/8"
Recommended bar length, min-max 15"-28" 18"-28" 28"-36"
Chain speed at max power 70.21 fts 70.21 fts 64.3 fts
Emission, vibration & noise data
Equivalent vibration level (ahv , eq) front / rear handle 3.6/4.1 m/s² 3.5/6.2 m/s² 6.4/10.2 m/s²
Guaranteed sound power level, LWA 115 dB(A) 119 dB(A) 115 dB(A)
Sound pressure level at operators ear - 104.1 dB(A) 102 dB(A)
Overall dimensions
Weight (excl. cutting equipment) 13.4 lbs 15.65 lbs 17.9 lbs

Centrifugal air cleaning system removes larger dust and debris particles before reaching the air filter. This results in reduced air filter cleanings and improved engine life.

That's interesting. It's the first time I've ever read that coming from Husqvarna. Rings true as well because neither the Husky air-injection or Stihl's filter system is any good at keeping the fines away from the filter element. You can certainly see they're only designed for larger chips in lovely, dust free, green wood :)

I guess, wouldnt you fellers say too, that if the man is gonna be in wood less than 25" 90% of the time he would be better off with a 372? IMO, the 372 cann do almost anything the 390 can with the exception of the big stuff.

I guess, wouldnt you fellers say too, that if the man is gonna be in wood less than 25" 90% of the time he would be better off with a 372? IMO, the 372 cann do almost anything the 390 can with the exception of the big stuff.

I agree (although I'm not a faller ;) ). Saw weight aside the fact that you can carry less fuel, (and use less fuel) is enough to consider it.

So maybe someone can shed some light as to why thee 390 has a champion spark plug and diff mfg carb.....

Thats a good point MCW

Thanks :) Although I normally have a vehicle nearby when felling/cutting the few times I've had to hike off up mountains (OK, small hills compared to you guys in the US :) ) with all my saw gear on my back I've found that the less you carry the better. In fact I'd rather carry a few extra litres of water than have to carry that extra fuel because you've got a fuel guzzling monster slung off your shoulder when you don't really need it ;)

Latest posts

Back