372xpw vs 372xtorq vs 7900 felling saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palogger390

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm fairly new to this site and I know this subject has been gone over and over I'm sure. But my old 372xp is about wore out. Its time to replace it. I narrowed my search to the 372xpw, 372xt, and Dolmar 7900 based basically on weight. I am going to be using this saw for mostly side hill felling and topping hardwood and some flat ground pulplwood. I run 24'' bars full chisel chain. I realize the 7900 has more power, but I'm worried about how it willl hold up in the long run in logging applications? I have run a 372xpw some and it is a very nice saw. How does a new 372 xtorq compare? Thanks in advance for any advice or input.

I don't know if the 7900 will hold up but if you are running a 24" bar the 7900 will be the fastest.I had a 7900 last fall and there are a beast.I also had a Snellerized 371 that keeped up with the 7900.I now have a 2009 372xp with a muffler mod that I just love.The 372xp cuts slower than the 7900 but I just like the over all feel and looks of it better than the 7900.Did I say I love my 372xp:hmm3grin2orange:

attachment.php

I had 2 7900's and they did not hold up for me. You might want to look at the 576 it has the same engine as the 372xt different carb,but the 576has a better av system but is a little heavier.

At least feel of one at the dealer?

The 576 has a different feel from the 372. The balance is different?

The different feel and the Auto Tune carb will make one worth look at.

I don't think the 7900 have been allowed much of a chance to really prove how it really holds up in full-time logging. Getting parts in a a pinch may be an issue, depending on where you are.

The stock power surely is impressive though, for the weight! :givebeer:

A 576 is around a lb lighter than a 390 and a lb more than a 372. It does balance nicely even with longer bars. The xpw is the lightest and second most powerful behind the 7900. The complaint I have with the 7900 is the handles are too close together for me. The 372xt would get the best mileage with power close to the xpw. If you're packing a saw a long ways on steep ground better mileage is a plus.

Get A Stihl MS 460 then you will have about the same power as those two saws plus it will hold up better in my opinion.

I considered that route. Stihl dealers in my area are great. But I have all 58 gauge bars ad chains. Its hard to make the switch to 50. I tried a friends 460 a little and wasn't impressed. But his has a lot of time on it. Plus it felt closer in weight to my 390xp. He's got a newer one now maybe I'll swap him saws for a day.
My current 372 has about 5 years of felling and bucking, thats 6-7 days a week. Its not my only saw, but its held up really well. Now it sounds funny like a crank bearing or something.
Thanks for the advice.

If you're used to a 372 then I don't think you'll be happy with a 460. They weigh what a 576 does and don't feel as balanced to me. They are well built but that doesn't make it comfortable to use all day.

The most common problem with the 7900 is with some of the older one's upper, rear AV. Otherwise, they are as solid as they come. The 7900 is impossible to beat, stock, for power to weight. Parts are as close as a ph call to one of the sponsors. Both my local Stihl and Husky dealers take a couple of days for most parts.

If I were you I would choose the XPW. Just "something" about those saws.......as its been said many times they are a factory hot rod.
The 7900 or 372XT are just as good saws as well IMHO. In other words you really cant go wrong IMO. I just prefer the XPW. Like mdavlee said they are #2 in power right behind the 7900

If I were you I would choose the XPW. Just "something" about those saws.......as its been said many times they are a factory hot rod.
The 7900 or 372XT are just as good saws as well IMHO. In other words you really cant go wrong IMO. I just prefer the XPW. Like mdavlee said they are #2 in power right behind the 7900

Yes, but it is a pretty good step behind.

XPW! Its the only one I do not own out of the three listed. If you like the 372 chassis....the extra power will just make it all that much better.

Only thing that would steer you toward the XT is fuel efficiency. Power is on par with the original 50mm saw.

XPW! Its the only one I do not own out of the three listed. If you like the 372 chassis....the extra power will just make it all that much better.

Only thing that would steer you toward the XT is fuel efficiency. Power is on par with the original 50mm saw.

The weird thing is that Husky didn't change the HP rating on the W.

Latest posts

Back