372xpw vs 372xtorq vs 7900 felling saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had 2 7900's and they did not hold up for me. You might want to look at the 576 it has the same engine as the 372xt different carb,but the 576has a better av system but is a little heavier.

I'm curious how they didn't hold up? That is if you care to share with the rest of us... What failed on them?

XPW! Its the only one I do not own out of the three listed. If you like the 372 chassis....the extra power will just make it all that much better.

Only thing that would steer you toward the XT is fuel efficiency. Power is on par with the original 50mm saw.

The XT is listed at a little more power, at least where I have looked - but it is listed as heavier as well.... :msp_wink:

I considered that route. Stihl dealers in my area are great. But I have all 58 gauge bars ad chains. Its hard to make the switch to 50. I tried a friends 460 a little and wasn't impressed. But his has a lot of time on it. Plus it felt closer in weight to my 390xp. He's got a newer one now maybe I'll swap him saws for a day.
My current 372 has about 5 years of felling and bucking, thats 6-7 days a week. Its not my only saw, but its held up really well. Now it sounds funny like a crank bearing or something.
Thanks for the advice.

Is the 372 that you are describing in this post the same as in your sig? if so there are more factors to consider when making your decision, I don't think that there is an unlimited coil available for the dolkitas which would be a performance increase in the husky if you decide to port the future saw in the future.

Ported 372 all the way. Stock 7900 all the way. Anyone that downs this or that brand doesn't have a clue, all the pro grade saws will last a long time, it really comes down to personal preference. Pick the saw that suits you best, and forget about all the AS brand war BS.:)[/QUOTE
Yeah, your probably right.

There is a pro logger on here from Western Mass who reported reliability issues with the 7900 in extended everyday service.

I will try to find the thread, otherwise hopefully he will turn up here.

I don't think anyone doubts the performance of the 7900, but he is a logger and so attesting that the saw is good for less than 10 cords of wood per year might not be what this guy wants.

I know a lot of loggers in MS are using them them and have been for at least 2 years. I write their comp policies and we get pics of all their equipment to ensure it's safe and well maintained.

Tough decision. We have a lot of local loggers running the 7900's with success. Known problems are: weak av mounts, fuel tanks become brittle in the cold and the HD filters come unglued. The filter problem is what killed Mingo's saw. My 7900's are super strong runners and have held up fine so far, but in limited use. My one 7900 has so much torque, I don't think I ever pushed on a stock saw so hard to stop it. Very impressive. I do prefer the feel of the 372 though.

Huskies still dominate the market around here. I love the feel of the 372 (own 3 of them right now), but can't get used to the extra weight of the 575/576 (own 3 of them right now). I don't own either an XT or XPW, so I can't comment on those models, but the old 50mm 372's get the job done well and you have obviously had success with yours.

BTW, I thought the XPW and XT had little to no power gain over the regular 372? I swear I've read that in the past. So what is the deal? Do the XPW and XT have noticeably more power?

Andrew there is a decent torque gain with the xpw over the 50mm xp saws. The xtorq is supposed to be in between them.

There's a few laying around but not easy to locate. I would imagine the new one is the x torq.

Tough decision. We have a lot of local loggers running the 7900's with success. Known problems are: weak av mounts, fuel tanks become brittle in the cold and the HD filters come unglued. The filter problem is what killed Mingo's saw. My 7900's are super strong runners and have held up fine so far, but in limited use. My one 7900 has so much torque, I don't think I ever pushed on a stock saw so hard to stop it. Very impressive. I do prefer the feel of the 372 though.

Huskies still dominate the market around here. I love the feel of the 372 (own 3 of them right now), but can't get used to the extra weight of the 575/576 (own 3 of them right now). I don't own either an XT or XPW, so I can't comment on those models, but the old 50mm 372's get the job done well and you have obviously had success with yours.

BTW, I thought the XPW and XT had little to no power gain over the regular 372? I swear I've read that in the past. So what is the deal? Do the XPW and XT have noticeably more power?

My dads 372 xpw definitely pulled better with the bar buried than my 372xp before I ported it.

I know a lot of loggers in MS are using them them and have been for at least 2 years. I write their comp policies and we get pics of all their equipment to ensure it's safe and well maintained.

By all means, have them join in the fun and the great success stories of the 7900. These are the guys that I've been waiting for to give support to buy the 7900! Glad you appeared here! Thanks.

Latest posts

Back