372xpw vs 372xtorq vs 7900 felling saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Bro

What's up? I think you know my vote but just in case 7900:rock: all the way more power cheaper parts and they are here in 2 days or less right to your mail box and no drive to the saw shop that doesn't have what you need any way. But It does just come down to what you want to run.I am not putting down any of the huskys but they can't break anymore mounts than a 372 does.

By all means, have them join in the fun and the great success stories of the 7900. These are the guys that I've been waiting for to give support to buy the 7900! Glad you appeared here! Thanks.

Have you viewed this thread much? http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/106705.htm it will give you a good idea of what many of the most popular saw models are made of. Matt is one of the few I trust to give an unbiased opinion of a saws capability in a day to day operation. Not only does he have the experience, but also the training to back up what he does. On top of that he's a great and generous guy.:cheers:.

Last edited:
By all means, have them join in the fun and the great success stories of the 7900. These are the guys that I've been waiting for to give support to buy the 7900! Glad you appeared here! Thanks.

I rarely talk with them directly, just get the reports from our loss prevention folks, claims reps, etc. I try to write crews that are fully mechanized but they all have to use saws.

I have never ran a dolmar, but even in Stihl, and husky country Sachs-Dolmar was legendary 166, in any application! I have a 372, but game for any Dolmars in the arsenal. 390 xp is sure worth a good look.

Trust me I know how you feel. I've used my 362 like ten time, don't get me wrong it's a nice saw, but I have a 346 and a few 70cc saws so it doesn't get used much. However for some reason I'm having a hard tome parting with it. CAD man it's fun to get, hard to get rid of.:help:

Actually a 7300 is more comparable. However of all of them that I have sold I have only had one fuel tank broke and that was from a tree being dropped on it. A couple of av mounts and one that was straight gassed. And that goes for all the 6400-7900 series saws.

There is a pro logger on here from Western Mass who reported reliability issues with the 7900 in extended everyday service.

I will try to find the thread, otherwise hopefully he will turn up here.

I don't think anyone doubts the performance of the 7900, but he is a logger and so attesting that the saw is good for less than 10 cords of wood per year might not be what this guy wants.

I'm the guy had been running 372's the most dependable saws i ever had. They were getting hard to get and there was talk Husky was doing away with them. Bought an early 575 and that didn't work out so good. Started reading all the hype on the 7900 and tried one out and it cut like my 394. It ran great for about a month then it started to get these fits where it would not start then the real problems started, scored cylinder dolmar replace that, crank bearings dolmar replaced the saw then the same cycle all over agian. In the mean time I bought another 7900 with heated handles thinking maybe the first one was a lemon. Same problems with that one. The bearing problems I think are due to the filter system I tried the hd filter it does filter better but they come apart at the bottom and then your sucking all the dirt in so i went back to the stock filter. The starting problem is what drove me crazy. i hear a lot of talk about the av system, but i never had any problems with that bought extra mounts and never used them. Didn't like the placement or the decomp was always getting pushed in with the starter handle and killing the saw, just what you want with a saw that starts hard and the choke lever isn't protected and gets caught on brush. I bought a 576a/t and that has been solid so far got little over 2 months on it the only problem I've had is the bolts came loose on the bottom of the muffler and it cracked it so I'll have to keep an eye on those. I have thread going on the 576 on the forestry forum.

Unless you can find some old stock, there is no longer any difference between an XPW and a regular 372XT. They now use the same cylinder assembly; the only difference is the wrap handle and the larger dogs.

Regardless of what handle is on it, the more 372XT's I sell the more I hear guys rave about the power. They cut right with the old XPW's and you can lean on them more than the original 71cc saws. Most guys call this torque, but I think it more accurate to say that the power band is wider and the saw will still pull real good when the RPM's drop a bit in bigger wood.

I'm the guy had been running 372's the most dependable saws i ever had. They were getting hard to get and there was talk Husky was doing away with them. Bought an early 575 and that didn't work out so good. Started reading all the hype on the 7900 and tried one out and it cut like my 394. It ran great for about a month then it started to get these fits where it would not start then the real problems started, scored cylinder dolmar replace that, crank bearings dolmar replaced the saw then the same cycle all over agian. In the mean time I bought another 7900 with heated handles thinking maybe the first one was a lemon. Same problems with that one. The bearing problems I think are due to the filter system I tried the hd filter it does filter better but they come apart at the bottom and then your sucking all the dirt in so i went back to the stock filter. The starting problem is what drove me crazy. i hear a lot of talk about the av system, but i never had any problems with that bought extra mounts and never used them. Didn't like the placement or the decomp was always getting pushed in with the starter handle and killing the saw, just what you want with a saw that starts hard and the choke lever isn't protected and gets caught on brush. I bought a 576a/t and that has been solid so far got little over 2 months on it the only problem I've had is the bolts came loose on the bottom of the muffler and it cracked it so I'll have to keep an eye on those. I have thread going on the 576 on the forestry forum.

Sound like you just had a bad time with the 7900, it happens. Most of what you said is uncommon, but I understand not liking the saw if it didn't treat you right. :cheers:

Last edited:
Ported 372 all the way. Stock 7900 all the way. Anyone that downs this or that brand doesn't have a clue, all the pro grade saws will last a long time, it really comes down to personal preference. Pick the saw that suits you best, and forget about all the AS brand war BS.:)

Fits very well with the impression I have, after following the "debate" since 2003.

Provided a stock 372xp isn't enough, that is! :msp_smile:

Back