Poor little 441...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Net-Knight1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
"Burning" trough a tree... :rock:

[video=youtube;Kwuhi6rlZqU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwuhi6rlZqU[/video]

The worst part is that how many people will see this and think " I can do that why pay a pro !" Hope they only break something not themselves !!

Isn't a different type of bar used for carving?

Maybe this guy is onto something, pre-igniting the wood before it goes in the fireplace.

I see a lot of stumps in the woods that look like this. Are people trying to prevent the tree coming back on them by cutting at an angle on the back cut? That's not how I do it, but what do I know.

[QUTE=WoodChuck'r;3377915]Yep. Most who don't know always do the back cut as such, or at least argue that it's the safer method. Little do they know it's way more dangerous than they can imagine.....[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I do it sometimes to be honest.

I wont argue but i like to easily see the gap open as i am cutting

60%, or better, face cut, got to have the sloping back cut! I love how he ended up under the face on the left side! The smoke was just two stroke fuel, it was cold:laugh:
LUCKY, LUCKY, LUCKY!

Let me Translate a bit for you.

The actor on the saw is very satisfied, because the tree fell right into the direction where he wanted to.

And now the most funny part, he gives a lot of credits to the Saw: "For such big tree you need a real big saw with enough STIHL-Power!"

Last edited:
Interesting. I do it sometimes to be honest.

I wont argue but i like to easily see the gap open as i am cutting

Try driving a wedge into a sloped back cut and watch that piece break off...

There was a good graphic somewhere floating about that showed why it was a no-no, but I can't find it.

Much safer to wedge.

Angling the back cut weakens the hinge and increases the chance of the tree coming back on you. The supposed "backstop" that the feller thinks he has created to save him if the tree does lean back is going to snap right off when the tree falls backwards and potentially kill the operator.

90º back cuts (even when not using a wedge) keeps the hinge stronger and if the tree leans back, it's weight will be supported by the stump (it'll pinch your saw if that happens, hence why you should use a wedge to correct the issue or better yet, keep the event from occurring). Although if done correctly, the tree will never "lean back" but it can happen (usually misjudging top weight or windy conditions are the common causes of this).

Angled back cuts are a real quick way to get a trip to the morgue no doubt about it....

Last edited:
That was a demonstration of the "Saddle Cut" method of tree felling. By "dishing" out the stump, the tree is safely nestled in its little spot until it's time to fall.

Or, maybe the tree fell because it was looking for better air to photosynthesize.

Disclaimer: The above statements are my lame attempt at humor. I do not condone the method used, in the video, to get the tree to fall.

Try driving a wedge into a sloped back cut and watch that piece break off...

There was a good graphic somewhere floating about that showed why it was a no-no, but I can't find it.

Much safer to wedge.

Angling the back cut weakens the hinge and increases the chance of the tree coming back on you. The supposed "backstop" that the feller thinks he has created to save him if the tree does lean back is going to snap right off when the tree falls backwards and potentially kill the operator.

90º back cuts (even when not using a wedge) keeps the hinge stronger and if the tree leans back, it's weight will be supported by the stump (it'll pinch your saw if that happens, hence why you should use a wedge to correct the issue or better yet, keep the event from occurring). Although if done correctly, the tree will never "lean back" but it can happen (usually misjudging top weight or windy conditions are the common causes of this).

Angled back cuts are a real quick way to get a trip to the morgue no doubt about it....

Nice to know that the majority of us, so far, know the correct way to make a felling/back cut. I will try to get some pictures next time I go up to my woodhole, most every stump has a steep angled back cut, makes me cringe when I see a stump all butchered. Some even have angled cuts front and back, like PA Plumber said, thats a saddle cut. I haven't found any bodies yet or saws laying next to the tree nor have I heard of any deaths or injuries but its just a matter of time. The piles of beer cans behind stumps gives me a clue about the mentality of these "fellers".

Funny as hell. Still laughing. Wife had to come into the room to see what was going on.:msp_w00t:

That video contains a very clear example of the infamous 'slopping back cut'...

Idiot coulda killed himself.

And who the hell wears a bicycle helmet when cutting a tree down? Really? Either a tin hat (not tin foil, but a Mac-T style hat), or a ball cap, or a hard hat would've been acceptable... or in RandyMac's case, that fancy hat he wears when cutting up timber...

Amazing how sometimes the idiots really do defy all odds...

Yea the farmer's backcut is a big NO NO. Like Chucker said, it puts pressure on your hinge. If the hinge breaks before the tree finds it's fall then you're most likely in trouble. Theres never a reason to do it, some just think there is. :wink2:

Back