wood lifters? (save your backs)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Anyone have any ideas/strategy's to lift heavier logs from the ground into a hauling trailor, and maybe even pick em up and lay them in the splitter? I've seen some contraptions with hydraulic lifting ramps and what not. But was just wondering what everyone's come up with. I have a disc problem in my back and if i'm not careful that blasted thing gets irritated in a hurry.. And then i'm not worth a squat for a while..

I noticed that on my 35 ton huskee splitter that on the I beam there are two predrilled holes, which i'm guessing is for a log catcher, but trying to find on on TSC site that is an exact fit is another mission within itself..

I may end up having to buy a small tractor with a front loader one day to help out with this mess lol. I refuse to pay 200 a week average to heat with propane. Wood is my only affordable option and I have plenty of it available..

Seems primitive but perhaps lay a 2x10 down and use it as a ramp? Only other thing I can think of is to either noodle them or just use a splitting axe to at least get them in half.

Suppose you could get a hold of a conveyor too but that would be a bit extreme IMO. Although, I wouldn't mind a conveyor.....

Don't worry about the exact fit of the table. Get one and drill it out to fit. I bought one off a guy on ebay for my old splitter. He makes a decent product. Use a 2*6 or 8 as a ramp.

Depending on what type of trailer you have I could see a gin type crane built on the trailer with an electric winch. That would actually be pretty cool, maybe I'll build one in my dump trailer! :)

Harbor Freight=Pick-up Truck Crane.

I have one similar( I put one of their 12vdc 3000lb winches on it) that I mounted to the front of my trailer.Works okay to unload right on to the splitter.With it being at the front I have to get the splitter real close to the trailer.My winter project will be a bigger trailer and I will mount it on the side.

I made a table for my 35(?) ton out of rebar and plywood,just welded it right to the beam,and it will still go vertical.

Buy a set of log tongs if you get a crane.

Forget the splitter and use a fiskers. I have had 4 lower discs shaved, and 3 bulging between the shoulder blades. Recovery has been 15 yrs or so. I have found that splitting with the fiskers makes my back feel pain free, all the time. Hasn't felt this good since I slipped the discs. Not perfect, but noticeable better.

How to Load Heavy Rounds

I have a few posts on this subject and you can use the search feature to locate photos of my way of loading the larger ones.

Harbor Freight has a couple of pickup cranes that can be mounted on a pickup or whatever you want to put it on (maybe a trailer). I have the one which has both a hydraulic jack and a hand operated winch. I don't regret buying it one bit and have loaded oodles of big ones that I would not be able to lift one inch off the ground by hand.

I have the 35 ton Huskee splitter too. I made a work table to help with the bigger ones which try to roll off after the first split. Now as far as loading the bigger ones onto the splitter you could use that same crane I mentioned before. But you have to get your vehicle somewhat close to the splitter to swing the round over to the cradle.

I just made a Gantry Crane for the purpose of setting those bigger ones onto the splitter.
You might want to look at that thread "My Homemade Gantry Crane. I hope this gives you some ideas and helps you too.

Nosmo

Yeah, I have a home built crane in my truck, my intent was to have it go up and down with hydraulics (a meyer plow pump) but never got to fixing the old lift only pump that I have. I have a 12v winch on it and it works pretty good but I wish I had more reach so to speak. I am thinking I may make it taller one of these days.
DSCI0167-1.jpg

I'm thinking about just hiring day laborers for 8 bucks an hour. If they break I can replace them cheap. Just kidding!

Wheel chair lifts. They make all different kinds.

I have one that mounts in the back of a pick up truck bed in the rear corner. It swings around inside to outside and uses a small internal winch with a strap instead of cable. Remote coil corded control handle. It has a 300lb lift cap.

Next one is a 2" trailer hitch mounted wheel chair lift roll on platform. It swings out past the tail gate and goes up and down. That one articulates and swings out. It has a folding knuckle on it with a flip up deck. Self contained controls that plug in at the receiver mounting area. It has a 350lb cap.

I also have a wheel chair lift (old kind) that I'm going to mount on the small trailer. The kind that is mounted on the side of a van. You roll on and it lifts you into the van. Self contained switch control. It has a 400lb cap.

We load the big stuff for milling on a flat bed trailer with a piece of 5/4 plywood for a beaver tail and use a boat winch to pull them up. It will load 20ft sections of anything up to about 18"-20" diameter. I know! Sick hu lol. Some of the hardwoods way like 1,500lbs wet. :hmm3grin2orange:

I'll try to remember and gets some pics of them to post up.

My car dolly works great for anything six foot and under. It has three 2.5'X6' cherry rounds on it now :cool2:

Last edited:
Anyone have any ideas/strategy's to lift heavier logs from the ground into a hauling trailor, and maybe even pick em up and lay them in the splitter? I've seen some contraptions with hydraulic lifting ramps and what not. But was just wondering what everyone's come up with. I have a disc problem in my back and if i'm not careful that blasted thing gets irritated in a hurry.. And then i'm not worth a squat for a while..

I noticed that on my 35 ton huskee splitter that on the I beam there are two predrilled holes, which i'm guessing is for a log catcher, but trying to find on on TSC site that is an exact fit is another mission within itself..

I may end up having to buy a small tractor with a front loader one day to help out with this mess lol. I refuse to pay 200 a week average to heat with propane. Wood is my only affordable option and I have plenty of it available..

Why not just noodle them to size? Anything over 24" I just either halve it or quarter it with my 262xp before it goes in the bed.

Back