I'm fustrated....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this thread has me wondering about the saws i'v bought at auction. I suppose it is questionable were exactly they did come from. i'd hate to think I bought some poor fellows stolen saw.
While I haven't scored any saws off eBay yet, on the few I've been interested in the first thing I look for in the pics is a S/N plate. If it isn't legible, I ask the seller for it. If they can't or won't provide it, I move on.

This doesn't assure I won't be buying suspect items, but it at least helps IMHO.

Randy, I feel for ya man. I don't agree with the "receipt" thing, but it's a known fact that they will not paid anything without a receipt. I usually write my own, or print a paypal receipt, just in case, but have never needed to file for a claim.

Just trying to help, Because in your business you are and will be shipping a bunch of saws. You will have the same problem with Fed Ex and UPS when filling a claim.

One thing I did was get a insurance policy on what I sell. This way my stuff is covered everywhere and it cost less than insurance from any of the carriers.

I learned a similiar lesson the hard way in working with PayPal and their Seller Protection program. Play by their rules and you're golden. Don't, and you're screwed. Bottom line, it sucks!

I tickled that you have good luck with the bastards. After two claims went unpaid for BS reasons I've come to believe they are not to be trusted with anything.

USPS insurance pretty much sucks. But if done right they will reluctantly pay.

They move a lot of stuff around the county and 99%+/- of it gets delivered. I just happen to have a very good postmaster that enjoys helping here customers. I know damn well that she is a rare person in the USPS! :)

Just trying to help, Because in your business you are and will be shipping a bunch of saws. You will have the same problem with Fed Ex and UPS when filling a claim.
In the real world I'm a shipping manager at a $25 million dollar a year company. We use UPS and FedEx exstensively and have never had a problem with claims (though they will stand behind their $100 liability limit if you don't insure). The reason is the scanning. The USPS does not scan every parcel (I believe it's only Priority), Big Brown and FedEx do. They know when a package goes missing and can usually pinpoint where it disappeared. May not always get found, but in those case they have NEVER denied a claim.

Here's an interesting FedEx story from a few years back. We sent a package of sample product to our sales office in Hong Kong. The plane went down in the Pacific somewhere between Anchorage and HK. We were immediately notified that our package was on that flight and all we had to do was fill in the amount on the included claim form while the shipping charges were automatically credited. Since it was a sample with little value, we didn't file the claim. About 6 months later, the FedEx guy delivered an obviously water damaged package that reaked... it was our lost sample recovered from the crash!

I have bought bicycles from Police unclaimed property auctions - pretty sure they were stolen at some point and unclaimed.

Some things are hard to track. Some people don't bother to report or follow up. Some things get moved to the next town over where there is no record of the stolen report. This does not sound like the case with Mastermind's saw where the PO is refusing to honor their insurance commitment at the least. I would be ballistic over that (or if I was the guy who bought the stolen BobCat at auction in another thread).

When I get something significant at auction, I keep notes, receipt, etc., in case I ever encounter the 'original owner' or the Police have questions. If I 'score' something special at a garage sale or off of CL I also try to make a note of the address, date, etc.

Don't want to screw someone over, but don't want to get screwed at the other end either.

Philbert

It sucks to be taken advantage of by someone/something so much bigger and powerful than you are. The little guy is helpless against anything they want to do. IMHO, it's organized crime.

Get ya a friend at your local PO, smaller the PO the better. Try to deal with that same person every time you go in. They can do stuff we can't do. They can track stuff we can't.

Or figure out how to make UPS or Fed Ex work for ya.

It's my business to get stuff to my customers. I take full responsibility and learn the best way to get it done...

Get ya a friend at your local PO, smaller the PO the better. Try to deal with that same person every time you go in. They can do stuff we can't do. They can track stuff we can't.

It's my business to get stuff to my customers. I take full responsibility and learn the best way to get it done...

You keep saying that Don.......but the local Postmaster even rode out here to my place and spoke with me about this claim......it did no good. Once it goes beyond just looking thru the system for a tracking number and onto claims their hands are tied. At one point she was even told to stop calling them about it.

Believe me.......we have tried everything.

In the real world I'm a shipping manager at a $25 million dollar a year company. We use UPS and FedEx exstensively and have never had a problem with claims (though they will stand behind their $100 liability limit if you don't insure). The reason is the scanning. The USPS does not scan every parcel (I believe it's only Priority), Big Brown and FedEx do. They know when a package goes missing and can usually pinpoint where it disappeared. May not always get found, but in those case they have NEVER denied a claim.

Here's an interesting FedEx story from a few years back. We sent a package of sample product to our sales office in Hong Kong. The plane went down in the Pacific somewhere between Anchorage and HK. We were immediately notified that our package was on that flight and all we had to do was fill in the amount on the included claim form while the shipping charges were automatically credited. Since it was a sample with little value, we didn't file the claim. About 6 months later, the FedEx guy delivered an obviously water damaged package that reaked... it was our lost sample recovered from the crash!
That's a good Fed Ex story!

USPS does track all packages now, but the average person can't access the tracking without paying a small fee, was delivery conformation, but I think that has changed now? I can track my stuff. ;)

UPS and Fed Ex are commercial oriented. USPS is consumer oriented. There is overlap here. UPS and FedEx are going to take care of there 'good' commercial customers like gold!

You keep saying that Don.......but the local Postmaster even rode out here to my place and spoke with me about this claim......it did no good. Once it goes beyond just looking thru the system for a tracking number and onto claims their hands are tied. At one point she was even told to stop calling them about it.

Believe me.......we have tried everything.

That was the rest of the story I was looking for. Dang Randy it's like pulling teeth to get info out of ya man! :msp_wink:

Don't know what to say about that. Guess it comes down to the receipt thing.

From now on make a receipt for every saw you ship.

That was the rest of the story I was looking for. Dang Randy it's like pulling teeth to get info out of ya man! :msp_wink:

Don't know what to say about that. Guess it comes down to the receipt thing.

From now on make a receipt for every saw you ship.

It would be sort of fraudulent to make receipts for saws I didn't buy wouldn't it? :msp_unsure:

It would be sort of fraudulent to make receipts for saws I didn't buy wouldn't it? :msp_unsure:
The saw was lost after you shipped it back to the owner, right? Was there no receipt for that? Payment record? Anything?

I hear what you're saying, but going into the PO doesn't work for me. Either their online service are reliable, or it's no good for me. My main beef with USPS is their useless "tracking", because you can't track anything with it. They are decades behind in their technology.

Theft can be an issue, but most "lost" package problems are caused by a detached to defaced address label.

Always place a shipping label inside any package, attached to the mdse. if possible. If something happens to the package label, the second label will usually get your stuff to the correct destination. There will be a delay, most USPS employees are not permitted to open and inspect parcels.

Oh and like most big companies, some of us are bastards, some aren't.

No, it's just a receipt to show the value of what you are shipping. It's not a purchase receipt.
It shouldn't be hard for guys to send you and copy of the receipt when they send to saw though.

I've been through this with my post master and she said any receipt will work. Needs to be official lookin I'd think.

Not really, just make a record of a saw and the numbers and when you get it in, then amend that record with what was done and who it goes out to, and of coarse a parcel ID, it sounds like a bit of work, but it will only take a few seconds per saw when you get used to it.

I am un packaging mine to write down the serial #,
This is really a rotten situation and it looks like its bothering 5-10 of us a lot today as well.

Back