My Built-Rite Splitter Tale of Warning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm guessing built right didn't know the original owner used it as much as he did, and scratched it up. And they did give you some extra goodies and the Kohler upgrade. And those Kohlers run forever. And I'm sure there is a warranty on it.. You should use your new toy and be happy. Look at the oil as being half full not half empty, lol... you'll be ok.

If they fix the problem or do something to remedy the assumed lousy business practice you should update us with that too. Always good to hear about scammers but when they redeem themselves it's good to hear that too. That way we can put the don't do business tags on the people who deserve it.

I like to put the first scratches on my new purchases also but hearing these things from one side certainly means none of us can be objective in our opinions. That being said here goes,,, Yes you paid for a new splitter. You also accepted their offer for this one, your mistake was not in accepting the offer but in accepting the splitter after seeing it at the depot.

The people getting off scott free here is not Built Rite but the SOB who stuck them with it and drug it though the salt! When somebody backs out of a deal like the original buyer did to Built Rite it really becomes a no win situation for them profit or otherwise. The way I see it they saw an opportunity to cut losses by shipping you that unit. They had no control and likely no knowledge of the fact it was towed through salt or storage conditions at the freight depot. If they did, shame on them! They have given you some high dollar gifts in exchange for the scratched paint, engine, and wedges. Outside of them having knowledge of the actual condition of it I dont see them being in the wrong here. You accepted their offer, you accepted the machine as delivered. It is not for them to make right the fact you changed your mind about it after dragging it home.

Sorry but I have been on their side of these situations way too many times. Not knowing any more than what I read here I think you are wrong, not Built Rite.

On a good day fedex freight couldn't deliver an anvil without damaging it. Let something hang around at a terminal and then be forwarded somewhere else is just asking for someone to do some sort of damage. A good bit of those scratches looks like shipping damage to me.

If built rite tells me that the original sale fell threw because the customers finances fell threw,..And he never took delivery of said splitter,..They lied,. Period.. The wedge and pusher show obvious wear/use,..And the hitch shows that its been backed into many times,.
If built rite treats there customers like this, Id make sure other prospective customers know about it, With all the social media sites on the web these days, Bad press could cost them plenty. :chop:

Coolhandbrad: How has that Built-Rite 24 been working out for you and your dad this summer?
We ended up selling it. After doing less than 10 cords it spent more time broke down than running. Everything from broken welds to engine and hydraulic issues. We took it all apart and fixed everything and let it go down the road. Bought a Timberwolf tw6 that's been 100% flawless.
Brad

We ended up selling it. After doing less than 10 cords it spent more time broke down than running. Everything from broken welds to engine and hydraulic issues. We took it all apart and fixed everything and let it go down the road. Bought a Timberwolf tw6 that's been 100% flawless.
Brad
What I find quite remarkable is that the fellas at Built-Rite never considered nor valued enough the consequences of digging in their heels over this. The issue of who's right or wrong is almost irrelevant when it should be obvious they stand to lose more than they ever gained from not looking after you or any perception thereof. Very few people wake up and decide to be pissed off with a purchase. It doesn't happen by accident and I can find very few circumstances other than insanity that in any way mitigate the lack of resolution between aggrieved parties.

The Built-Rite guys are on or have been on AS. I did skip a few posts on this thread so if they replied, I apologise for not seeing those, but I have just PM'd them this thread. Not trying to start a flame war, but if this thread does nothing else but serve as a warning of the hits to a reputation that can be done when customers aren't well and truly looked after (or at least silenced via refunds or the like), then it has been a very worthwhile thread.

The Built-Rite guys are on or have been on AS. I did skip a few posts on this thread so if they replied, I apologise for not seeing those, but I have just PM'd them this thread. Not trying to start a flame war, but if this thread does nothing else but serve as a warning of the hits to a reputation that can be done when customers aren't well and truly looked after (or at least silenced via refunds or the like), then it has been a very worthwhile thread.

Wow. This thread pretty much shows what is wrong with business in America today. His biggest mistake was accepting it at the.freight terminal. He and his father should have drove off into he sunset without his Built-Rite splitter.

I read the story last night on my crappy tablet, and just looked at the pics.

The pics don't look as bad as the story sounded.
Yeah... there's some perspective issues there for certain. For example, a guy living in an area where road salt is used every day would never consider that splitter "caked" with salt. Then again, with the manufacturer is in VT they may not realize that the western and southern states have a very difference tolerance level for road salt. The description sounded like the hitch was bent, the clamps and fittings were falling off due to rust, and the engine had been run until it was nearly junk. The pictures show a different story.

You might have received more value than you paid for... I haven't checked. If you received $15-16k worth of "stuff" for $13k I can see where the mfgr wants to be done with this story. But I'd be pretty steamed if I thought I was getting a new, never used splitter and received used equipment instead. And it wouldn't matter how many goodies were included. It sucks that you didn't think to say "No thanks" at the freight terminal. Many of your complaints seem to be "They didn't build it like I would have" which isn't the same as saying the splitter is faulty or poorly made. Getting proper paperwork is part of any sale, not just when dealing with Built Rite. I wouldn't have a problem, if I truly felt the product I received wasn't what I bought, in calling up the manufacturer and negotiating some with the understanding that a call to the credit card company could ultimately result in "no sale" at the manufacturer's expense. I don't feel its fair to choose sides based on only one half of the story, and one with supporting evidence which doesn't tell a story quite as bad as what you posted. My guess is that Built Rite somehow ended up with a splitter that wasn't as nice as they thought and I'm guessing the guy that used before you it is probably the real villain here. At the end of the day, if Built Rite will warranty this unit as new and if it works as new then factoring in the attachments you likely got what you bought. I promise that there are many products bought "brand new" that have plenty more problems than missing paint.

Latest posts

Back